any of you guys know if the cube 30x (actually any modeling amp) works well with distortion-like pedals through the clean channel?

I know I don't exactly need something like that with a Cube, but I can't take it everywhere with me so I need a pedalboard for gigs and stuff and I'm afraid it will sound like **** in my poor modeling practice amp ):
not too sure about the cube but I've got 10 pedals on my board and I use a Fender superchamp xd with no problems.
as a GENERAL rule

modelling amp + external effects = poop.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
as a GENERAL rule

modelling amp + external effects = poop.

Cube isn't a modelling amp iirc
This is why the Cube is a modeling amp...

"Includes 8 COSM guitar amp models: JC Clean, Acoustic, Black Panel, Brit Combo, Tweed, Classic Stack, Metal Stack, R-fier Stack"
beaten to it by fly.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by fly135
This is why the Cube is a modeling amp...

"Includes 8 COSM guitar amp models: JC Clean, Acoustic, Black Panel, Brit Combo, Tweed, Classic Stack, Metal Stack, R-fier Stack"

Is that the 30w or 15w?
It's the 30, but even my MicroCube has the same modeling amp options. I looked and your 15X is a bit different. It simply has a control that says Metal, Overdrive, Stack, and Overdrive. Amps that use DSPs for creating their type of amp tone are basically modeling amps. It's not always true that a modeling amp won't work with a pedal, but as a norm people find that they don't work as well with pedals as amps w/o DSPs.

Amp modeling is really just another form of distortion and eq. So it's not a hard fact that sticking amp names like tweed, Brit, Rectifier on the knob makes it a modeler while sticking Metal , Distortion, and Metal Stack on the knob make it not a modeler.
Quote by fly135
It's the 30, but even my MicroCube has the same modeling amp options. I looked and your 15X is a bit different. It simply has a control that says Metal, Overdrive, Stack, and Overdrive. Amps that use DSPs for creating their type of amp tone are basically modeling amps. It's not always true that a modeling amp won't work with a pedal, but as a norm people find that they don't work as well with pedals as amps w/o DSPs.

Amp modeling is really just another form of distortion and eq. So it's not a hard fact that sticking amp names like tweed, Brit, Rectifier on the knob makes it a modeler while sticking Metal , Distortion, and Metal Stack on the knob make it not a modeler.

Have you tried to use pedals with your microcube?
i use pedals on my microcube, ive even used mutlieffects and it dosent sound too bad. lets just say it soundsd better than a spider.
I use a few on occasion (only cos I'm finally replacing the thing soon though). It's not dreaful, but I don't get anything from my OD that sounds different from my amp tbh (I know it's an OD not a distortion). A distortion will probably work a bit better. If you need the pedals for gigging it's probably worth it if you can't afford a decent amp now, but that's certainly what I'd be saving for
I have a Cube 30x. I use a wah pedal sometimes.

I also have a Digitech Screamin' Blues pedal that I've been meaning to put on Ebay that I hooked up a few times to play through the clean channel. To tell you the truth, I like that sound better than any of the amp models. I don't have a lot of time to practice so I don't want to waste even an extra second hooking up a pedal.

It's a solid state practice amp. I mean come on.
Quote by soulzin
Have you tried to use pedals with your microcube?
No, I use my MicroCube as a portable on-the-go battery powered amp. Lugging pedals would not only defeat the purpose, but it already has the pedal functions I need built into it.
Thanks guys, I think I've made up my mind. It's not like I'm keeping the cube for long anyway.

Quote by fly135
No, I use my MicroCube as a portable on-the-go battery powered amp. Lugging pedals would not only defeat the purpose, but it already has the pedal functions I need built into it.

Yeah, I know you wouldn't use it on a regular basis, I was just asking to see if you tried it only to see how it sounds.
I did try hooking up my GNX4 to my Vypyr 15. It sounded pretty bad. I didn't mess with it too much. I might try again and hook it up to the aux in port. It just never occurred to me to bother putting pedals into the MicroCube.