i'm looking to spend around €400 euro spend on a new amp, i'm looking at getting a 5watt tube amp to replace my tenson scream 15. i've got my eye on the blackstar ht-5 and the marshall class 5.
i play all types of rock, some blues and some metal.
i currently have a epiphone g-400 and a boss ds-1.
any opinions or recomendations are greatly appreciated.
i was thinking that if i got the marshall i would probably be able to get an overdrive pedal something like a bad monnkey
no contest, ht-5
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
If you want that Plexi-like tone, get the Class 5.
With a boost you could easily get early Metallica-like tones.

If you want an amp with more tweakability and more gain from the amp itself, get the HT-5.

However, try both and look which one you like best.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
most of my favourite artists use marshall so i would realy like to get a marshall sound, and both seem to give it from what i've seen on youtube, i would really like to only try one amp out as i have to travel for about 3 hours to get to the nearest place that stock both blackstar and marshall, and i would only have bout an hour to an hour and a half to try out amps.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
TBH, I disagree - firstly as a canadian you haven't tried the C5 yet - its a great little amp and it takes pedals well! I'd definitely go for it over a the HT-5 (IMHO the HT-5 is way overrated anyway)

how do you know i havent tried the c-5 yet?

doesent matter but i coudl easily go for a little trip and try one.

im going by videos and reviews, that and the ht-5 can do both british and american tones with the twist of a dial
Gear:
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw

im going by videos and reviews, that and the ht-5 can do both british and american tones with the twist of a dial

i am aware of the isf dial, but i kind of like british sounding amps
okay, all you dudes saying the HT5 wins no contest are not looking at the facts.

the HT 5 is a great amp. the class 5 is better (IMO) It does the blues thing MUCH better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1NAUGshmBc&feature=related

it's got the plexi thing going on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1NAUGshmBc&feature=related Much better at the Classic Rock thing also IMO

the only thing that the HT5 does better IMO is Metal. but remember tone is subjective so what I like you might not like.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
okay, all you dudes saying the HT5 wins no contest are not looking at the facts.

the HT 5 is a great amp. the class 5 is better (IMO) It does the blues thing MUCH better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1NAUGshmBc&feature=related

it's got the plexi thing going on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1NAUGshmBc&feature=related Much better at the Classic Rock thing also IMO

the only thing that the HT5 does better IMO is Metal. but remember tone is subjective so what I like you might not like.

you posted the same video twice
Gear:
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
More versatility - Blackstar.

Better Classic Rock tone - Marshall.

I'd probably get the Marshall, but that's cause I play Classic Rock.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
i'm kind of leaning towards the marshall as i would rarely be playing metal, i play mostly queens of the stone age and led zeppelin
I play basically the same stuff as you e.g. Classic Rock and Blues and I compared the Class 5 and HT-5 and the Class 5 and the Class 5 won by a mile.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Older metal tones are just hot Plexi tones Go with the Marshall. Better for your primary interests. Just make sure you get a good speaker cab to go with it, or put a good new speaker in it, because I've heard their stock speakers are garbage. Grab yourself a Greenback really cheap and bask in the woody goodness

EDIT: Ah, was confusing the Class 5 with the Haze. You might ignore the speaker statement, then. But check them out, and if you think it could use some improvement, it's probably the speaker.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw

the C5 isn't out in the USA and Canada yet - that 'short trip' just became a 7hr flight
I love the tones coming from the Class 5 (judging from youtube, of course ). Does everything better than the HT-5 besides metal, which a nice pedal could fix (Zvex Box of Metal, for instance).
Quote by britishsligean
most of my favourite artists use marshall so i would realy like to get a marshall sound, and both seem to give it from what i've seen on youtube, i would really like to only try one amp out as i have to travel for about 3 hours to get to the nearest place that stock both blackstar and marshall, and i would only have bout an hour to an hour and a half to try out amps.

Blackstar is made by old Marshall guys so they're kind of Marshally in their tone.

Quote by Harvesterofsrrw

Because they aren't out for you yet

IMO TS, go for the Class 5. It's a tone monster and much nicer than the Blackstar IMO.

If I had the cash I would up and buy the Class 5 right now.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

the class 5 has really grown on me after watching numerous videos on youtube, i probably will get it in about 2 weeks if i like it, hopefully i'll be abke to get a deal on it and an overdrive pedal, thanks for all your input.
Class 5,the HT-5 NGD get soo old
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Forgetting about pedals, which can be used to make either amp do any genre, I'd say:

Class 5 for blues and really low-gain rock
HT-5 for everything else up to modern metal
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
Class 5,the HT-5 NGD get soo old
I typically won't double post but, wow. That has to be the worst post I've ever seen on UG.

"Don't buy this amp because I'm getting tired of seeing them featured in NGDs."
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
I typically won't double post but, wow. That has to be the worst post I've ever seen on UG.

"Don't buy this amp because I'm getting tired of seeing them featured in NGDs."

Not only that,i got other reason

the marshall sound better then the Ht-5
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
Not only that,i got other reason

the marshall sound better then the Ht-5
I was banned once for making really rude comments to people who made such useless posts.

Whatev though
Quote by Marty Friedman
thats ok
Quote by angusfan16
Quote by SimplyBen
Make sure you try them. Youtube doesn't do amp's justice.

i'm am going to try and find a place that stocks both, but it is pretty hard to, i've found a few marshall dealers, so i should be able to try the marshall if it has reached ireland yet, as things that come out in the uk come out later in ireland for some odd reason. i've only used youtube to help narrow down my choice from about 6 to a more reasonable 2.
The Marshall sounds better than the HT5, but it also doesn't have a master volume. Keep that in mind.