I've been looking at a lot of youtube videos comparing different guitars. I love the tone of EVH guitars but I love the feel of RGs. Most RGs I've heard lean towards Vai, Petrucci, Gilbert, and Satch tones. Does the maple top really make a huge difference in the tone? The EVH guitars don't really sound brighter than RGs to my ears, they sound like they're warmer. According to the Dimarzio site, the pickups closest to the custom pickups in the EBMM Axis and Wolfgang are the Tone Zone and Air Norton. Would that pickup combo make an RG sound more like an EVH guitar?
u didnt know? his tone is in his fingers...

but spending a few grand on an amp doesnt hurt. and i THINK he was with duncan back in the day, using a vintage voiced PAF.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I don't mean "his" tone. I mean the tone of his guitars like the EBMM Axis or Wolfgang (same pickups) in particular.
ah, well in that case, the maple top wont make a huge difference. some will notice it, some wont. but ur best bet is to get a set of the wolfgang pickups off ebay or something, i know iv seen em. and if it still sounds a tad warmer/brighter...treble and bass controls...
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
i've heard the Dimarzio PAF (neck) and a Dimarzio Tone Zone (bridge) were almost the exact (if not THE exact) pickups that Peavey used in their Wolfgang guitars. and my Wolfgang was definitely warmer than my RG. it's a whole different sound. i know the EB and Peavey models had very very similar pickups in them, so i think you'll find exactly the sound you're looking for.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
EVH guitars have a flush mounted Floyd, not a floating one installed which makes a difference in the tone. Also the necks on EVH guitars are beefier then Ibanez Wizard necks.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
^ in addition to that, the maple top might make a difference, too (i haven't tried the EVH, though). I've tried a couple of vigiers, where the only real difference was the maple top, and I consistently preferred the tone of the ones with the maple top.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?