I'm just starting to get into soloing after 1 and a half years of rythm playing. I've started with speed building exercises, and now I want to learn some real solos.

So which were your first solos?
Right Side of the Bed by Atreyu

that solo is fun, not too hard, and it sounds great

also Man in the Box by Alice in Chains is a great sounding solo, a little harder, but its a great goal solo for u right now
My first few solos were:

Shook Me All Night - ACDC
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zep
Fade To Black - Metallica
Enter Sandman - Metallica

In that order I think.

Don't worry about speed when you're learning them tho - just focus on getting them clean, and the speed bit will come. Break them down into phrases, and listen to the original lots, so you know what its meant to sound like before you start. And have fun
James's solo from Master of Puppets and the intro solo from Fade to Black both by Metallica were the 1st two i tackled at around the year mark, though i know people who could play them long before their 1st year and people who still can't play them after many years, everyone learns at different speeds so try them out and take your time.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Smells like teen spirit FTW!!!

Also other Nirvana solos are easy. Then I love rock'n roll, Up around the bend and We're not gonna take it.
James master of puppets solo
nothing else matters
welcome home sanitarium intro
living on a prayer
I believe it was still loving you-scorpians one of the solos and after some time and dedication i nailed dechristianized
Sweeps from vital remains..lol there is a thread on this subject i'm sure someone will pull it up
Wish you were here was the first, and then George Harrison's solo on the album version of Let It Be
First solo ever learned was...

Man in the Box - Alice in Chains

then...

Nothing Else Matters - both solos
Crossroads - Clapton

Now I can't remember any of those solos HAHAHA!!!
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
I'm pretty sure Ace of Spades was one of them, then November Rain, then Estranged, can't remember the rest. Overall I haven't really learned that many songs yet alone solos.
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
A wierd version of Hey Joe
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Smoke On The Water
Stairway to Heaven
Smells Like Teen Spirit

The same as everyone else.

And I guess if you count it as a solo: the tapping from Eruption
Every Tool solo, honestly once you learn one of there solos you pretty much know all of them.
Last night I started trying to learn my first solo ever. Paranoid by Black Sabbath...I can do the 1st half at 50% tempo (thank god for GP5). Tonight I'm gonna try for the 2nd half...though there's more bending and pinky action there.
Red hot chili peppers - Californication
i learned that whole song on acoustic with the bass part attached to the riff dang i remember how freaked i got.

first i learned when focusing more onto electric was guns n' roses - sweet child o' mine
i think...
The intro solo to fade to black by metallica, but the first actually somewhat impressive solo I learned was stairway to heaven, by (do I really need to say it?) led zep.
Through the Fire and Flames - Draganfarce.

It´s easy as long you make sure you hold that green button while tapping.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker

Psht noob, you have to put a rubber band on the green button and make sure you are proficient in looking dumb
Quote by darkcheef
Psht noob, you have to put a rubber band on the green button and make sure you are proficient in looking dumb

*looks at sig*

Then get those awesome (and cheap) MG SOLID STATEZ half-stackZ and learn the Minor Pentatonic Scales while avoiding those pesky Floyd Rose Systems!

"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker
*looks at sig*

Then get those awesome (and cheap) MG SOLID STATEZ half-stackZ and learn the Minor Pentatonic Scales while avoiding those pesky Floyd Rose Systems!

Livin' On A Prayer and Don't Cry. I've now forgotten how to play the latter and the former is still pretty much as ''technical'' as I ever get.

Quote by Dawnwalker

I actually can do that on Expert (or at least I could do, I've not played any GH/RB games for a couple of months now). It actually is much easier than it first seems, it's mostly a question of just repeating the same couple of figures over and over.
The ones I find hard are the three-finger chord changes on Expert on some of the more ''mundane'' songs. Ironic, given on real guitar I'm a solid rhythm player and **** on lead.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Oct 14, 2009,
First solos I ever learnt were..

Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
AC/DC - Shook Me All Night Long

Mah Gear
Jackson DK2M -- Washburn X50 ProQ -- Epihone Les Paul Standard
Mesa Boogie 3-Channel Dual Rectifier w/ 2 x 12 Mesa Recto Cab & Peavey 5150 4x12 Cab
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

Sweet Child O' Mine was my first, then Danni California. Then many others.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Well, if you count the solo-ish thing in Wake Me Up When September Ends (yes, I know, sucky song), that. If not... I'd go with You Shook Me All Night Long.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
the first solo i learned was the solos in scar tissue

the second one was the lateralus solos but im still working on those

the third is the solo in the worm-by audioslave

and thats all haha
thecrazygeezer posted 1 month ago
Quote:

Originally posted by POOPBUTT POOPBUTT

you get nuke when kill 100 peoples in rush, it is a small ba boom but leaves big crator

WTF???
Quote by evro123

and thats all haha

I learned that solo in a day (when I was only into playing for 3 months)
I started out with Rage Against the Machine solo's at like 3 months....im at 8 months now and im doin metallica
"Bulls On Parade" by RATM . But the first real solo I learned probably would be....... I'm not quite sure. Maybe "One" by Metallica? Idk. I can't quite remember.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Originally Posted by evro123

and thats all haha

Originally Posted by darkcheef
I learned that solo in a day (when I was only into playing for 3 months)

i can do the solo but im just trying to perfect it haha cuz its not a very hard solo but i just wana make it sound pefrect
Quote:

you get nuke when kill 100 peoples in rush, it is a small ba boom but leaves big crator

WTF???
also i learned the like a stone solo
Quote:

WTF???
Very first solo I learned: Iron Man - Black Sabbath

Actually there's another in that song, so I guess that would count as the first two solos I learned...

Others:
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Orion by Metallica
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
Stairway, well the first riff anyways, come to think of it I still don't know it all.
My first solos where...

Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple (Simple, one every beginner should learn with ease.)
Painkiller by Judas Priest (The speed is the only hard part, other than that it's simple. G.T.'s solo is funner than K.K.'s.)
Alive by Pearl Jam (Timing is key, so this could take you a little longer, but it's awesome)
Let There Be Rock by AC/DC (Practice makes perfect. This song is fairly easy, but the speed gets most people.)

I've learned a few more over the years and practice really does make perfect. Hit these solos head on and you'll learn 'em fast.