a 14" radius from a 15" radius?

I really only use Ibanez and ESP guitars and i prefer my ESP's 15" radius over the 17" radius of my ibanez, but i want to get another 7-string guitar and the 2 i was looking at were:

Carvin DC727 and the EBMM JP7
(~$1400).....................($2000)

the Carvin has a 14" radius and i would love to save $600 (since i still need money for tuition), but i dont know how i feel about a 14" radius, never played one. the local shops only stock ESP, Ibanez, Schecter, Gibson and Epiphone guitars. I dont like schecters, gibsons or epiphones (at least not the ones they stock) at all. And none of the guitars in the store have a 14" radius.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400

u sir earn all these stacks because im fairly sure the difference between 14" and 15" is about 1"
I'm bad at Life
You must have the fingers of a blind man to be able to tell that small of a difference
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
You must have the fingers of a blind man to be able to tell that small of a difference

He can tell
14" will be slightly more flat, but i highly doubt you will actually be able to tell the difference
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Interpret, Adapt, Overcome.
Last edited by sound-byte at Oct 14, 2009,
play them if you can. you can always return it if its not to your liking.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by SPBY
a 14" radius from a 15" radius?

I really only use Ibanez and ESP guitars and i prefer my ESP's 15" radius over the 17" radius of my ibanez, but i want to get another 7-string guitar and the 2 i was looking at were:

Carvin DC727 and the EBMM JP7
(~$1400).....................($2000)

the Carvin has a 14" radius and i would love to save $600 (since i still need money for tuition), but i dont know how i feel about a 14" radius, never played one. the local shops only stock ESP, Ibanez, Schecter, Gibson and Epiphone guitars. I dont like schecters, gibsons or epiphones (at least not the ones they stock) at all. And none of the guitars in the store have a 14" radius.

Ibanezes have a 17" radius? Thought they had 12"...

Its a 1" difference, not hard to do math.
i think he meant the difference in feel, not the measuremental (if thats a word) difference
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Interpret, Adapt, Overcome.
14" and 15" is a very small difference that you likely wouldn't even notice. If you can notice the difference between 17" and 15" and it's really the radius that you're noticing and not the other differences, then you may be able to tell the difference. Think about it though, as the radius increases the flatness of the fretboard increases at a slower and slower rate relative to the increasing radius. As in, the difference between a 12" and 10" radius fretboard is much bigger than the difference between a 14" and 12", even though they're both 2 inches apart. 15" and 14" difference is tiny. BTW I love my Carvin with its 14" radius.
Quote by Archieisted

u sir earn all these stacks because im fairly sure the difference between 14" and 15" is about 1"

you sir are a moron, i'm not asking the mathematical difference between 14" and 15"

Quote by srob7001

i have a good variety of guitars and i can tell very small differences in neck radius

Quote by sound-byte
14" will be slightly more flat, but i highly doubt you will actually be able to tell the difference

14" is rounder than 15", not flatter. The larger the radius the flatter the fretboard. And i can tell the difference between 15, 16 and 17" so i think i can tell the difference between that and 14"

Quote by Crohny
play them if you can. you can always return it if its not to your liking.

thanks, i didn't know i could return carvins if i didn't like them. (not being sarcastic)

Quote by sound-byte
i think he meant the difference in feel, not the measuremental (if thats a word) difference

^this

Maybe i should have been more clear, i know it's going to be rounder, but i dont know if it will still be suitable for shred, i guess i really can't ask for you to describe what if feels like. but if anyone plays both 15" and has a carvin, which do you prefer and why

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Ibanezes have a 17" radius? Thought they had 12"...

Its a 1" difference, not hard to do math.

mine has a 430mm radius which is about 16.9"

and again, not asking about the mathematical difference

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
you sir are a moron, i'm not asking the mathematical difference between 14" and 15"

its still 1". Thats the mathematical difference hence 15-14=1 . Seriously dont you get it?
I'm bad at Life
My Caparison has a compound radius that's something like 14" - 16.5" and my Carvin has the 14" radius. The Carvin is just as shreddable and feels amazing. Like bending strings on glass (SS frets could have something to do with it too though).

Keep in mind that Carvin also offers a 20" radius, although I don't know if it's on theonline builder or not.
Quote by Archieisted
its still 1". Thats the mathematical difference hence 15-14=1 . Seriously dont you get it?

But it isn't a funny joke
Well, if you know the very small differences between small radius', why are you asking us?

I dunno, I'm guessing it's not gonna be hugely different.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by stratman7
My Caparison has a compound radius that's something like 14" - 16.5" and my Carvin has the 14" radius. The Carvin is just as shreddable and feels amazing. Like bending strings on glass (SS frets could have something to do with it too though).

Keep in mind that Carvin also offers a 20" radius, although I don't know if it's on theonline builder or not.

thank you so very much in this thread full of people perpetuating a terrible joke

and no the 20" isn't available online (not that i would choose it). thanks for the input

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
TS gets a for pwning all the morons who posted sarcastic replies.

I dunno, I guess it depends on how sensitive your fingers are. I can tell pretty small differences between nut widths, but i'm pretty easy on radiuses (radii?), for me personally, anything 12" or flatter feels more or less "flat" to me. Hard to say, to be honest. Some of the Japanese Jacksons have 14" radius on the lower frets, I think, but they have a compound radius, so that's not going to be ideal for trying out...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?