Poll: where should my thumb be
Poll Options
View poll results: where should my thumb be
resting on the back of the neck
19 86%
hooked over the top of the neck
3 14%
Voters: 22.
when ive been playing guitar ive been putting my thumb against the back of the neck but i see some people hook it over the top of the neck.....which is "the right way"?

hooking you thumb round seems to shorten your span rather lot so i dont see the sense in it

which is right
Xbox Live GT: A7X Dan 09

Only Playing Gears Of War 2 ATM
Depends, i play the F chord and use my thumb as a root note, i do it for alot of chords, minor sevenths for example.

Also riffs too, great for playing something then hitting the low note. Or butterfly picking.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Both. Thumb on the back of the neck is better for barre chords, fast passages and long stretches. Thumb over the top is better for bends and vibrato, and gives you the option of fretting/muting with your thumb.
so its like each has thier own scenario where they work best

Exactly.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Yup. My thumb moves around all the time when I'm playing - although that doesn't mean much cos I'm just a beginner lol, but my teacher's thumb moves around all the time too. Its just whatever suits the situation.
Yea, just do what feels right for you.

My thimb is always moving around, sometimes the thumb isn't even on the neck, just depends on what you're playing atm...which apparently is Gears of War...
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
haha ok thanks guys that cleared that up for me

Quote by neo14085
Depends, i play the F chord and use my thumb as a root note, i do it for alot of chords, minor sevenths for example.

Also riffs too, great for playing something then hitting the low note. Or butterfly picking.

Butterfly picking?
I think, and I could be wrong here, but thumb to the back of the neck is a typically classical guitarists grip and the thumb over the top is more of a blues thing.... but whatever, the right and correct place to have your thumb is where it's comfortable.
[