I've been reading tons of info and watching youtube vids about pedals all morning so I've got info just swimming around in my head... some of which is jumbled. I picked up the notion somewhere along the way that Tubescreamers are really only effective for tube amps. I've got a Crate FXT65 amp (ya ya, crate >< ), which is not a tube amp. Have I mixed info up? Sorry for the nub question I'm sure.
Nah, they'll work on anything.

I will say, that Tubescreamers, simply tend to not sound great on SS amps, but it's not unlistenable if dialed in well enough.
how would it sound through a modelling amp, like a VT30?
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
It will work, it'll just sound different.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Some pedals simply perform better with a tube amp. Overdrives in general, are easier to get a good sound with when they're pushing tubes instead of solid state circuitry. This is a general statement, and there are exceptions.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Hrm. Well, the decision is between a Big Muff Pi or a Ts9. So if a tube screamer isn't all that great on a SS I should get the Big Muff right?
Quote by Naptime
Hrm. Well, the decision is between a Big Muff Pi or a Ts9. So if a tube screamer isn't all that great on a SS I should get the Big Muff right?

whoah, now. how could it be between those two? you've gone to total opposites of the spectrum. do you even know what each of those pedals sound like?

the Pi is good for Grunge, garage rock and indy stuff. the TS9 is an OD that works good for AC/DC style rock.

I'd sell the amp and get a better one.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Well, those are going to be two wildly different pedals to begin with...

They both will work.

One will sound like a tubescreamer, the other will sound like a muff.

I'm sure either would sound as good as the other, and both would certainly "work", but they're apples and oranges, in my book.
Crap I fail... I'm looking for a bluesy tone. A couple threads mentioned a big muff (frusciante also uses this) and a couple other threads mentioned ts9's (usually with blues jrs).
you're going to have a hard time finding a pedal that will give you a bluesy tone through a non-tube amp.

Have you tried using the gain channel on your amp, setting the gain to about 3-4 and boosting the mids? It won't be perfect, but it'll be as good as you'll be able to get by putting a Tubescreamer into your clean channel.
Gear:
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by Naptime
Crap I fail... I'm looking for a bluesy tone. A couple threads mentioned a big muff (frusciante also uses this) and a couple other threads mentioned ts9's (usually with blues jrs).

the Big Muff will NOT do blues (only Jack White fanboys think so). The TS9 is considered a "blues" pedal because it is the descendant of the TS808. and the TS808 is considered a blues pedal because Stevie Ray Vaughan used them to boost his amp into overdrive. but you won't get the same "blusey" sound with a TS9, or even a TS808, with your amp.

the secret to a blues tone is to have an amp right on the verge of power amp saturation, then hitting it with a boost, like an OD or any other gain booster. and since SS don't break up (they Clip), the sound will not be very nice sounding at all.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
dude, try the Digitech Hardwire Valve overdrive, i get an amazing tube-y distortion out of it, much more versatile than your standard tubescreamer.
I have a maxon od 808 and use it on the clean channel of my XXX and 5150 and i get a nice blues tone. Try it out im POSTIVE you can get a good tone with it on a SS amp.
Well I can't adjust the mids when my gain channel is selected. Only highs and lows which is why I use the clean chan almost all the time. I'll be picking up a eq pedal in about an hour for more control. What I'm getting is that I don't need either of those pedals. Some eq adjustments with a little gain would do fine. I got excited about all these diff pedals. I've never used pedals in my 5+ yrs of playing.
[quote="Jhachey22
the secret to a blues tone is to have an amp right on the verge of power amp saturation, then hitting it with a boost, like an OD or any other gain booster. and since SS don't break up (they Clip), the sound will not be very nice sounding at all.[/QUOTE"]

I don't understand what this means. Power amp saturation?
Quote by Naptime
I don't understand what this means. Power amp saturation?

I'd say "read the stickies", but it looks like you need some 'splainin.

your normal amp is made up of two main sections: the Preamp and the Power amp. the preamp is what breaks up and distorts (also known as Tube saturation) first because it's usually only about 1W or so. the power amp is made to amplify your preamp's signal. because it is much louder, you need a lot more juice to break it up, i.e. cranking it and then hitting it with a booster.

personally, i think that the overdrive from the power amp is much warmer and musical then preamp gain.

now, the problem with SS amps is that, like i have already said, they don't break up. they clip, which produces the same sound as a cheap pair of speaker from a dollar store being cranked to the max.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Ty for the explanations. I'll check out the stickies. Sry for the nubness
well I've never played one through a SS amp, but I bet you could get a pretty bluesy tone from a tubescreamer... I use one on my clean channel if I want a bluesy sound. It would surely take some tweaking of the level, tone, and drive knobs, but I'm sure it would get you there. I'd go to guitar center and demand to crank on one for a while.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
well I've never played one through a SS amp, but I bet you could get a pretty bluesy tone from a tubescreamer... I use one on my clean channel if I want a bluesy sound. It would surely take some tweaking of the level, tone, and drive knobs, but I'm sure it would get you there. I'd go to guitar center and demand to crank on one for a while.

Well really, you're commenting from the exact opposite of what TS needs to be told IMO it is very difficult to get a good OD sound from an SS simply because it can't be overdriven it can just be distorted (using those terms loosley) You could try something like the Blackstar HT-OD or whatever it's called. Awesome pedal and it gives a bit of warmth to the sound as well.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Well really, you're commenting from the exact opposite of what TS needs to be told IMO it is very difficult to get a good OD sound from an SS simply because it can't be overdriven it can just be distorted (using those terms loosley) You could try something like the Blackstar HT-OD or whatever it's called. Awesome pedal and it gives a bit of warmth to the sound as well.

really ? pretty sure the main idea I was trying to get across was that he should go try one out and see what kind of tone he can get from it. GC has a 30 day return policy too, so he could even pick one up and play it through his guitar and amp, in his house, and if it doesn't work out, return it for full refund.

I know that you're not going to match BB king's sound from a SS amp with a TS, but you can get in the ballpark.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
really ? pretty sure the main idea I was trying to get across was that he should go try one out and see what kind of tone he can get from it. GC has a 30 day return policy too, so he could even pick one up and play it through his guitar and amp, in his house, and if it doesn't work out, return it for full refund.

I know that you're not going to match BB king's sound from a SS amp with a TS, but you can get in the ballpark.

Apologies, re-reading that I sound like a jerk, I just meant that you were commenting from the point of view of I have a tubescreamer and it does it for me but you're using tubes.

But I do agree, TS get your ass off UG and try stuff out.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

The more I read about amps and different threads on tone, the more I realize I should get a new amp before investing in these pedals. It may not even cost me that much to get a new amp (considering that I sell my old amp). I'll check out the TubeScreamer for sure though. I am very interested in how it sounds, who knows maybe I'll do the whole buy and return deal
Quote by jpatan

Actually, BB has been using SS amps for years.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Musicman48858
Some pedals simply perform better with a tube amp. Overdrives in general, are easier to get a good sound with when they're pushing tubes instead of solid state circuitry. This is a general statement, and there are exceptions.

You don't need to use the OD pedal as a boost at all. Turn the Gain up on it and keep the Level lower on it.

Quote by Naptime

OD pedals work fine with SS gear, unless you're a n00b and trying to use it as a clean boost.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
You don't need to use the OD pedal as a boost at all. Turn the Gain up on it and keep the Level lower on it.

I know that it technically works that way, but from experience, putting that in front of a solid state amp does not cause the pleasing bluesy tone the TS is looking for, but rather an annoyingly buzzy distortion.

At least that's my experience, with about 5 years of running through a crappy solid state amp trying to somehow improve the crappy tone with my OD because I didn't have enough cash to upgrade.
Gear:
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by Jhachey22
Actually, BB has been using SS amps for years.

well ok, I'll give you that one... allow me to rephrase.

you're not going to nail a BB King tone from a SS amp that's affordable with only a TS.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes