So heres the deal... a couple months ago, i just got a mexi jazz.
i was a bit torn between the standard jazz and the active jazz, but in the end i chose the Standard jazz, mostly because of the finish(bad reason for choosing a bass i know )

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FSR-Standard-J-Bass?sku=517887

however, after a few recent trips to GC and messing with the active mexi again, i feel like i would really prefer the active tone in my jazz. However, i honestly LOVE the finish on my jazz, and i'd really like to avoid exchanging it or selling it. So i was thinking about swapping in some fender active noiseless, or possibly some other jazz pickup.

i play pop-punk/hardcore in my band, but i also play in a praise and worship band and really enjoy playing reggae, both of which almost require an active tone. However, i'd in a way sort of like to balance the two tones. In a sense, get the deep reggae tone, but also be able to get the treble-y punk tone.

would the fender noiseless be a good idea? or no?
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the active jazz have an active preamp, and not pickups?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
If you're upgrading to active pickups, I think you'll have to replace those electronics too, since the resistance in the pots won't be right. You'll also need to rout out a cavity for batteries, add a cover, and rout out a hole to carry the battery cables.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If you're upgrading to active pickups, I think you'll have to replace those electronics too, since the resistance in the pots won't be right. You'll also need to rout out a cavity for batteries, add a cover, and rout out a hole to carry the battery cables.

I think that if the cavity that already exists is big enough, no routing is needed.
Quote by mikey_360
I think that if the cavity that already exists is big enough, no routing is needed.

Maybe, depending on your electronics. Not all model's cavities are the same depth. John East JRETRO preamps are designed to include one 9v in the cavity, but there's a disclaimer on his website saying you need to double check the cavity depth. Additionally, if you're putting in active pups and active electronics, you need two 9 volts, which certainly won't fit.
Quote by fleajr_1412
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the active jazz have an active preamp, and not pickups?

Yeah I thought this too, I dont think you want active pickups just a preamp. Also I don't think Fender sells their preamps, but I highly recommend you look into Aguilar if you want to go that route.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by fleajr_1412

I think so. At least, this is the case with the P-special, which is in the same price range and has a P/J combination.

I vote a Seymour Duncan Vintage Stack in the neck, and a Hot Stack in the bridge. Personally, I never liked the active sound for anything but jazz ... it might technically be a broader tonal range, but active pups seem to lack the grunt of passives.

And why would reggae "need" active pickups? Both punk and reggae were originally performed by people who used whatever they could find, usually off-the-rack gear, and the best-known musicians from both genres played and recorded before active pickups were popularized.
^^most active pickups come with wires and pots already and there is a space for the battery already under the pickguardso no need to worry about that?

the bass you are talking about has active preamp not active pickups im pretty sure the pickups are the same.

there are several options you can go from here: if you want tremendous flexabillity you can get an active preamp similler to the one in the active jazz, if you just want a more "agressive" sound then you can go for active pickups or you can do both.

agressive really isint the word to describe active pickups its more like more "oomph" there is still as much top end if not more but seriously more low end in comparison but active pickups tend to be way less twangy or nasally so it is less of a "vintage sound" (depending on what pickup brand or model there are some that sound vintage-ie then others .... but it is still not the same!)

active preamp will let you create a few different sounds and possably make you bass more flexable, but usually at a slight sacrifice to your instruments "original" sound or character depending on how much you boost each frequency

as for active pickups there is a gambit of choices just do some research and ask questions.

active preamps are fairly strieght forward there are 2,3,4 band EQs ifnd one that boosts/cuts the frequencys you want you want a fairly broad bass boost a narrow trebble boost and a semi broad mid boost if you find a 3 way

you have 3 knobs of real estate on your bass so you would want to find some with stacked pots unless you want to route a input jack on the bottom side of the bass that would give you 4 knobs

with 3 knobs you can easilly fit a 2 band eq but there are some 3 bands that may fit but i cant think of any makes or models off the top of my head.

what is it about the active jazzbass you like so much? is it just the boosted presense or is it the versatillity? would be nice if you could explain more of what you are looking for. switching the preamp out would be more expensive, but not by much incase you was wondering about that.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E