Page 1 of 2
My dealer finally got a Blackstar HT-5 in - so I went round to try it. Unimpressed. Sure, it was pretty good, but everyone seems to be making out its some kind of wonder amp which will change your life and tone forever.

1. It really isn't that versatile - sure its better than most low wattage stuff, but IMO the high gain sounded a little scratchy and there wasn't really much clean headroom.

2. People are suggesting it as a 'bedroom amp' - this thing is seriously fvcking loud!!!! Even the 1x10" combo sounded like you could play a small gig with the distorted tones!

Anyway, at best an average 5w amp, but definitely not what UG makes it out to be (especially for the price).
OVerhyped = yes
bad amp = no
and 5watt amps are ****ing loud.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I love mine, but you're right about the lead channel. The last time I played mine without headphones I got a noise complaint from my neighbors. I think the tone is as good as it gets for the $400 I paid for it, though, and I haven't found a better amp for the money.
Is it true prices for the HT-5 are going up?
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
It makes the best practical beginner/practice amp, imo. One could argue that there are much better low watt amps out there (Cornford Harlequin, Fargen Mini Plex, etc) but those are extremely expensive.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
OVerhyped = yes
bad amp = no
and 5watt amps are ****ing loud.

+ a lot

... except for it being loud... you people and your undamaged ears
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
Is it true prices for the HT-5 are going up?

yep
feel free to add me
Guitar playing is overhyped.

Autoharp is where it's at.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
My dealer finally got a Blackstar HT-5 in - so I went round to try it. Unimpressed. Sure, it was pretty good, but everyone seems to be making out its some kind of wonder amp which will change your life and tone forever.

1. It really isn't that versatile - sure its better than most low wattage stuff, but IMO the high gain sounded a little scratchy and there wasn't really much clean headroom.

2. People are suggesting it as a 'bedroom amp' - this thing is seriously fvcking loud!!!! Even the 1x10" combo sounded like you could play a small gig with the distorted tones!

Anyway, at best an average 5w amp, but definitely not what UG makes it out to be (especially for the price).

1) Not enough headroom? its 5 freaking watts, not a 100 watt twin reverb. of course its going to break up

2)bedroom is suggestive. I know crap ton of people who use 100 watt stacks for bedrooms. While its loud its not as loud as the 100 watter people play. you can still crank it without the walls rattling.

best 5 wat ? no. but for 300 bucks and a guy wanting a better drive channel for metal than a valve junior its hard to content
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
has anyone encountered a mass produced line of amps thats maybe <1W that can be used for bedroom levels? Can a amp even be useful at 1/4W? I was looking for something thats cheap and can achieve a nice sound when volume is turned up for bedroom level.

a 2W amp is way too loud for me. I couldn't even consider increasing the headroom of the 5W HT after hearing what a 2W microcube sounds like.

the HT5 head already went up $100
Quote by iampeter
has anyone encountered a mass produced line of amps thats maybe <1W that can be used for bedroom levels? Can a amp even be useful at 1/4W? I was looking for something thats cheap and can achieve a nice sound when volume is turned up for bedroom level.

a 2W amp is way too loud for me. I couldn't even consider increasing the headroom of the 5W HT after hearing what a 2W microcube sounds like.

Blackheart Killer Ant
feel free to add me
Quote by iampeter

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-AC4TV-4W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-871050-i1446380.gc

Switchable to 1/4 watt. The one I tried sounded amazing when overdriven, I would buy one just for that tone.
Quote by iampeter

Vox AC4, depending on what you play. It switches from 4 watts, 1 watt to 1/4 watt. I think there's even a version that goes to 1/8 but I've never heard it. At 1/4 it starts to lose a bit of tone, it gets a bit muddier and darker but it still sounds great to my ears.

EDIT: ^^ Beaten

Quote by BeethovensBust
It makes the best practical beginner/practice amp, imo. One could argue that there are much better low watt amps out there (Cornford Harlequin, Fargen Mini Plex, etc) but those are extremely expensive.

I prefer my Vox to the Blackstar and it's cheaper. Though the Blackstar seems better suited to higher gain stuff.
Last edited by aaronni at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by iampeter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U9ylAeSvDY&feature=related

this maybe? I think its kinda pricey though
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
It is kinda overhyped but that's only because UG get's the same questions everyday from people wanting a practice amp, which the HT-5 is. You couldn't gig with it because it struggles with a drummer. Plus, it is a really nice amp when all's said and done. You couldn't ask for more out of a £300 amp. What else are you gunna get, an MG?

EDIT: Blackheart Killer Ant?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SwampAshSpecial

I think someone just wanted to come on UG and hate.

If you said the tone was a little compressed at higher volumes and that the clean channel lacked some liveliness you'd be bang on.

Saying that it isn't versatile just suggests, to me anyways, that you're not capable of working knobs. All it takes is a trip to YouTube and you can see how versatile the HT-5 is. If you didn't find it so then the fault is yours.

As for it being too loud for the bedroom, again, your knob problem is back. Turn the volume down and bang, you've got a bedroom amp.

Yes, it is a fairly average amp. That being said, it smashes the hell out of similarly priced low-wattage amps. That's why it gets so many suggestions on UG - not because it will change your life forever. Perhaps you need to come on down off that high-horse and look at the landscape here. UG is the land of mid-range buying advice. Since no one here has the money for a low-wattage offering from one of the great boutique amp builders we use our common sense and suggest products that are, first, affordable, and secondly very satisfying to use.

If you disagree with that last paragraph then you'll probably want to start posting on TGP. They all hate the HT-5 too. Something about an amp that was, until very recently, $299 not being able to keep up with their $1500 boutique stuff.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Yes, it is a fairly average amp. That being said, it smashes the hell out of similarly priced low-wattage amps.

It doesn't though, it's comments like this that show how overhyped and overrated the amp is. Yes it's a good amp but many people think it's the only option. There's a good few amps that stand up to it.
Quote by ch0

If you said the tone was a little compressed at higher volumes and that the clean channel lacked some liveliness you'd be bang on.

Saying that it isn't versatile just suggests, to me anyways, that you're not capable of working knobs. All it takes is a trip to YouTube and you can see how versatile the HT-5 is. If you didn't find it so then the fault is yours.

As for it being too loud for the bedroom, again, your knob problem is back. Turn the volume down and bang, you've got a bedroom amp.

Yes, it is a fairly average amp. That being said, it smashes the hell out of similarly priced low-wattage amps. That's why it gets so many suggestions on UG - not because it will change your life forever. Perhaps you need to come on down off that high-horse and look at the landscape here. UG is the land of mid-range buying advice. Since no one here has the money for a low-wattage offering from one of the great boutique amp builders we use our common sense and suggest products that are, first, affordable, and secondly very satisfying to use.

If you disagree with that last paragraph then you'll probably want to start posting on TGP. They all hate the HT-5 too. Something about an amp that was, until very recently, $299 not being able to keep up with their $1500 boutique stuff.

ok, let me revise my statement - it is versatile but it dosen't do a lot of tones WELL. Also, as far as I can tell you just compared the HT-5 to a $1500 boutique amp... if I'm right, then you're ****ing stupid!! I may have misunderstood, but if that is what you said, all I can say is you fail
*notices Vox AC4 in sig ^*

Well they may stand up to it but the ones I've tried haven't been anywhere near as versatile. YOU may love your AC4 but someone might need to cover a whole load of genre's, which quite a few UG'ers do, therefore HT-5 = win.

Quote by SwampAshSpecial
ok, let me revise my statement - it is versatile but it dosen't do a lot of tones WELL. Also, as far as I can tell you just compared the HT-5 to a $1500 boutique amp... if I'm right, then you're ****ing stupid!! I may have misunderstood, but if that is what you said, all I can say is you fail

You misunderstood, you fail. He was making comment on the users on the other forum comparing the HT-5 to their $1500 amps.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by aaronni
It doesn't though, it's comments like this that show how overhyped and overrated the amp is. Yes it's a good amp but many people think it's the only option. There's a good few amps that stand up to it.
Sorry, my comment was based on first-hand experience with these 'similarly priced amps.' For my tastes the HT-5 beats the hell out of all it's competitors.

Of course, that's just my advice. Anyone who buys an amp without trying it themselves deserves whatever they get.

Quote by SwampAshSpecial
ESL?

I was contextualizing your post. Since you didn't bother telling us what you were comparing the HT-5 to I figured you were doing what I've seen so many cork-sniffers do on other boards. Take a $300 amp and slam it for not being able to keep up with a $1500 hand-wired piece of art.

So what? You want to call me names? Can you at least put together your thoughts on the HT-5 in an organized and constructive way?

Scratchy gain? You do realize the HT-5 is a guitar amplifier and not a phonograph right?
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by SimplyBen
*notices Vox AC4 in sig ^*

Well they may stand up to it but the ones I've tried haven't been anywhere near as versatile. YOU may love your AC4 but someone might need to cover a whole load of genre's, which quite a few UG'ers do, therefore HT-5 = win.

Well yea I prefer my Vox to the Blackstar for what I play. I've said before the Blackstar is more capable of higher gain tones and I would recommend it for that. It is recommended way too much on UG though, it gets suggested for genres which other amps handle a lot better.

I was just pointing out ch0's wording really, pretty much proves TS's point about it being overhyped.
I like the HT-5, I can get some serious Duane Allman tones out of that amp
Ht-5 is way overprice now

400 for a 5w amp?

seriously
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by aaronni
Well yea I prefer my Vox to the Blackstar for what I play. I've said before the Blackstar is more capable of higher gain tones and I would recommend it for that. It is recommended way too much on UG though, it gets suggested for genres which other amps handle a lot better.

I was just pointing out ch0's wording really, pretty much proves TS's point about it being overhyped.
I do wish people would look for the divisible number when an amp becomes so widely suggested. I mean, if it was really a **** amp then no one would have suggested it in the first place and the whole 'over-hype' phenomenon wouldn't happen.

The HT-5 now reminds me of the Carbon Copy several months ago. If you wanted a delay pedal it had to be the CC. I took the advice of the forum and went and tried one. See my sig for results.

Quote by O.O Meow O.O
Ht-5 is way overprice now

400 for a 5w amp?

seriously
Could you stop posting now?
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by al112987
I like the HT-5, I can get some serious Duane Allman tones out of that amp

I swear to you, I was just playing Jessica when I read that
Quote by ch0
I do wish people would look for the divisible number when an amp becomes so widely suggested. I mean, if it was really a **** amp then no one would have suggested it in the first place and the whole 'over-hype' phenomenon wouldn't happen.

The HT-5 now reminds me of the Carbon Copy several months ago. If you wanted a delay pedal it had to be the CC. I took the advice of the forum and went and tried one. See my sig for results.

Could you stop posting now?

Fair enough, see my sig for results. Anyway I'll leave it at this post, the Blackstar is good at what it does but it is overhyped and over recommended on this forum. An amp can be good and overhyped at the same time, I do disagree with some of the points TS made by the way. This forum goes through periods of favoured gear and I think at the minute the HT-5 is being given a bit too much credit by some.
Last edited by aaronni at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by aaronni
Fair enough, see my sig for results. Anyway I'll leave it at this post, the Blackstar is good at what it does but it is overhyped and over recommended on this forum. An amp can be good and overhyped at the same time, I do disagree with some of the points TS made by the way. This forum goes through periods of favoured gear and I think at the minute the HT-5 is being given a bit too much credit by some.
I would disagree with the over-recommendation part. More often than not people looking for new amps on UG are metal/hard rock players. For those genre's the HT-5 is a very suitable amplifier.

I'll agree with everything else you said.

Peace out, thread.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by irishstang_87

I swear to you, I was just playing Jessica when I read that

Your champ is probably a little better for that.
Great acoustic btw.

Idk, I got a HT-5h for $224 a while back on a bump and dent sale. That's a lot of amp for $224.

Also, wattage and price have no correlation. I'd pay $1000 for a good low wattage amp. Currently deciding between a couple sub 20 watt amps in that price range.
What a stupid thread. I could list 20 amps that are "overhyped". But the thought of it is totally pointless. (much like this thread)

I know players that own Diezels, Bogners, Splawns, & vintage modded Marshalls that also have the HT-5.

Here are a few other players you might recognize with endless amounts of highend gear that use the HT-5.
Attachments:
02feb2509_pic02.jpg
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020
Your champ is probably a little better for that.
Great acoustic btw.

Idk, I got a HT-5h for $224 a while back on a bump and dent sale. That's a lot of amp for $224.

Also, wattage and price have no correlation. I'd pay $1000 for a good low wattage amp. Currently deciding between a couple sub 20 watt amps in that price range.

Agreed about $1000 for a good quality amp. It's all about what amp fits your need. I'd gladly shell out for a Tiny Terror and a good cabinet if I had the money.
Quote by Van Noord
What a stupid thread. I could list 20 amps that are "overhyped". But the thought of it is totally pointless. (much like this thread)

I know players that own Diezels, Bogners, Splawns, & vintage modded Marshalls that also have the HT-5.

Here are a few other players you might recognize with endless amounts of highend gear that use the HT-5.

because everytime someone asks for a bedroom amp the HT-5 is always suggested.

im not saying its a bad amp or anything, it just gets too much praise IMO.
feel free to add me
^It is a great amp for the price. It should be recommended so I agree with what you are saying. It's when people that have never played it start recommending it just because they want to look cool. That adds to the overhypedness.

Quote by Van Noord

+311

cool pic too
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by ch0

TGP makes me lol most every time I go there. Most of them don't even like Mesas... not expensive enough.
blackheart
little giant
a hell of alot cheaper
and fantastic
also 5/3 watt switchable
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
they have to go Z,badcat,ect to be cool
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by steve!
blackheart
little giant
a hell of alot cheaper
and fantastic
also 5/3 watt switchable

its a great amp but it wont bring great cleans and a good distortion for teh brootz
feel free to add me
No amp new around that price will do everything well.

Although LG cleans are much better than HT-5.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by silly hats
No amp new around that price will do everything well.

B-52
Vypyr
VT

feel free to add me
Page 1 of 2