Help needed with bass... Need quick responses cos am gigging in less than a month :O

Hey all I currently own a terrible 4 Jazz bass. I'm in a grunge/metal/experimental band and we have a few gigs lined up in a month. I really can't play with the bass I have so I have 2 questions.

Is the Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 a good all around bass. I'll mainly be playing heavy stuff, but then I switch to slightly softer stuff too, and like to play slap (who doesn't ;D). I've been eyeing the bass up and its looks are amazing, but since I live in London I can't actually play one. I'm in a dilemma cos I'd never buy without trying, but I kinda have to since I don't know of any guitar/bass shops around me.
Would that bass be worth the money, or is there any alternative 5 strings.
I've heard Spectors are good, but they cost a looot.

My second question is how reliable is it buying from overseas? If there are any shops around london/within an hour journey that sell Schecters then please tell me the location

Thank you all
Schecter is great. I had one.

I didn't like the feel myself, the tone didn't quite fit, but it was a good bass.

as a warning, I didn't find it very forgiving of dead strings.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
very bright and slick, it had a very distinct sound, hard to explain.

the schecter had a solid low end, an almost glassy boom, and very sharp punching high end. the mids were really clear, the whole think was almost too clear, if you had the right strings on it. that clarity was quite dependent on the strings, and sounded like a cheap piece of crap after 2 months of the same strings. very easy to EQ to make a sound, but you had to constantly have new strings, or you would just get this farty mess.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yeaaaa, im going to have to agree about the Schecter. The ones I played actually sounded kind of "sterile" for lack of a better word, but then again, I only tried like 3 eq settings. Spectors are like you said quite good, but can be pricey. If your in the 5 string market I'd recommend Ibanez (an SR505, 535, or 605, judging by how much the Stilleto Studio 5 costs). Do you have a specific price range your looking at?

Also, just out of curiosity, what exactly do you find terrible about the jazz?

EDIT: for the Ibanez's (Ibanezi? whats the plural?) have tight string spacing, and slap takes a little bit to get the hang of on them
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Oct 14, 2009,
I own that same model and love it. I'd highly recommend it for what you are playing. I play one in my band and my basslines range from heavy to soft to distortied fuzz tones to slapping and it does it all. If you want to hear it check out this video. I slap with it in the intro and you can hear how clear the tone is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxuw9dMVEuk
Quote by Tostitos
EDIT: for the Ibanez's (Ibanezi? whats the plural?)

Better question: what's the plural of fetus?

it's fetuses
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Last edited by NakedBassist at Oct 14, 2009,
the ibanez SR505 is a very similler bass but has its own "character" like it has something special about it. the schecter has like nothing wrong with it .. but the general vibe i get it is like lugue warm.

ESP basses are very similer to spector.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
I have that exact bass...it's awesome. It's very well built, has awesome features, and the EQ is much better than the ones on most other schecters. (It's a 3-band)

It responds very well to effects, which is a good thing for those genres, and has a very cool clean tone. It does have a very thin finish, though. It feels great, like someone turned silk into wood, but it will scratch and dent very easily.

The one problem I've had is that the nit is cut too low for my tastes. It has very low action but tends to buzz in the lower frets of the E and B string if you pluck to hard.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Oct 15, 2009,
You live in London, which is a major city last I checked, there are guitar shops somewhere. Get off your bum and find em.
Thanks for all the replies, I didn't expect so many
Firstly, the other day I demo'd a crapload of basses including a musicman and found that the ibanez sr505 was my favourite of all. I found that it was slightly hard to slap on cos of the string spacing. Thanks for the video ronnie, the schecter is beautiful and I don't particularly like the look of the ibanez but I'll go for playability overall. I loved the tone of the ibanez and I would get it now but I'm not planning on buying another bass again...
It's annoying that I can't demo the schecter but I'll decide soon enough.
Oh and to whoever asked why I don't like the jazz bass, I don't dislike it at all, I love slapping and popping on it but I would just like a different tone and a bass that I can call my own
If you're looking for a different tone you'd be better off switching amps than basses. Especially with a Jazz bass.
Quote by Zycho
You live in London, which is a major city last I checked, there are guitar shops somewhere. Get off your bum and find em.

There are a bunch of Guitar shops in London...

..None of them stock Schecters tho :\
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!