Page 1 of 2
I just went to my Guitar Center, who are still having a 15% off blowout of their clearance items. Being in the market for a new amp myself, I take a gander at what they had.

And I see it. A Soldano Avenger head, absolutely mint, with a clearance price of $900. 15% off later, I snag it for $750. Worked beautifully and sounded quite br00tal if I do say so myself.

Pics coming when I get home from university.
Nice!

I'm definitely going there Friday. Need to pick up some new drum heads and I want to see these crazy sales...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
bastard.......
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
guess whose going to check his GC if theres any deals left saturday...

HNAD. thats highway robbery my friend
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I just died a little inside....

HNAD man.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Congratz on Your Theft

(Invalid img)

Pretty sweet condition, I must say. Unfortunately, I don't have a cab right now and am waiting for my paycheck to buy one.

But when I played it through a Marshall 1960A, it sounded amazing. Tight low end, smooth highs and punchy mids. The high gain isn't harsh, but very in your face. The cleans are acceptable, not the best but rolling down the volume knob gets you a Marshall-y clean tone.

And yes, the covering is "so-tacky-it's-cool" black alligator. Classic.
Last edited by BeethovensBust at Oct 14, 2009,
you suck
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
You don't have a cab?

I'll trade you my Vetta for it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^

always workin' it ain't ya?

Of course! I really dig the Avenger though, I thought it sounded better than the Diezel VH4 my GC has
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^

always workin' it ain't ya?

I like the black alligator look.

MY GC had a SLO with this look and I had serious gas despite it's $3,800 halfstack price.

Nice work. Turn up your mids and back down on the presence

Yeah, about that. Last thing I did before taking it to the counter was some scooped rif***e. Scooping mids sucks for leads and such but I think it sounds good for rhythm.

Presence is a bit wonky too. Any lower than 7 makes it seriously muddy, any higher than 8.5 makes it super harsh and AM radio like.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Of course! I really dig the Avenger though, I thought it sounded better than the Diezel VH4 my GC has

Vetta: been there, done that.

I actually had my heart nearly set on a Krank Rev 1 that they had going for $700. But when I played it myself it sounded rather bleh. Could get some nice br00tz out of it but that was about it. Then I played the Avenger and it blew it out of the water.
Quote by BeethovensBust
Presence is a bit wonky too. Any lower than 7 makes it seriously muddy, any higher than 8.5 makes it super harsh and AM radio like.

All the more better for you to trade it to me
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
All the more better for you to trade it to me

Too bad I found the sweet spot then, right?
Sweet Amp!!!
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by BeethovensBust
Too bad I found the sweet spot then, right?

No way! A presence knob should make your amp sound good at all spots!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
What a ridiculous deal. Guitar Center is stupid, but I didn't know they were that stupid.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
What a ridiculous deal. Guitar Center is stupid, but I didn't know they were that stupid.

The first thing the guy said was, "I'm surprised it took this long to sell."
fock. you.
hnad
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
matrixclaw, shut up and do your next NAD already. ive been in suspense for days now just wondering lol
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Is that what the GC guy told you "Deal of the century"? Because thats EXACTLY WHAT the GC salesman told me when i got my clearance MM LUKE for $750!! AND I also was told it was so cheap because it was taking too long to sell... WTF? What is with these GC deals?

It makes me wonder what is wrong with my guitar... nothing so far.
Well Enough Alone
Quote by gregs1020
man i tried to love my soldano, i really wanted to.

hnad bb.

Which one did you have? The Avenger plays like a single channel, more aggressive version of the SLO (without the ridiculously overbuilt specs, transferable warranty, etc).
atomic 16, replaced with the studio 15, which you had but didnt like. it is all personal preference. again, hnad.
Quote by BeethovensBust
Yeah, about that. Last thing I did before taking it to the counter was some scooped rif***e. Scooping mids sucks for leads and such but I think it sounds good for rhythm.

Yeah, the presence control is f#@king weird. I have an SLO, & I actually called Soldano asking about the presence knob's response . They said that's the way it's supposed to be, giving a wide range of highs that can be allowed through. Over 9 or so, it is extremely AM-radio-like, but you can find some sweet spots. You sometimes need that extra touch of edginess for stuff like Metallica. The presence is SOOO sensitive though. Moving it just a hair once it's over 8.5-9 changes the tone a lot. I just keep mine around 5 (I have zero muddiness issues, regardless of how I EQ-maybe the different transformer?). I've actually found that setting all the knobs around 5 (except master volume ) gives a great general rock/metal tone using humbuckers.

Congrats on that deal, man. I just saw a couple Avengers on ebay going for more than what you paid, & I thought THOSE were great deals!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
Yeah, the presence control is f#@king weird. I have an SLO, & I actually called Soldano asking about the presence knob's response . They said that's the way it's supposed to be, giving a wide range of highs that can be allowed through. Over 9 or so, it is extremely AM-radio-like, but you can find some sweet spots. You sometimes need that extra touch of edginess for stuff like Metallica. The presence is SOOO sensitive though. Moving it just a hair once it's over 8.5-9 changes the tone a lot. I just keep mine around 5 (I have zero muddiness issues, regardless of how I EQ-maybe the different transformer?). I've actually found that setting all the knobs around 5 (except master volume ) gives a great general rock/metal tone using humbuckers.

Congrats on that deal, man. I just saw a couple Avengers on ebay going for more than what you paid, & I thought THOSE were great deals!

Thanks.
It's voiced darker than the SLO, I believe. Of course, you can't tell when the presence is at 10.
Z0mgz it g0es 2 11!!!!1!!!!!11!!!!

Seriously, , Epic head you've got! HNAD!
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
what a snag. I just found a Krank Rev1 for 699 at a local guitar center, and with that 15% off would put it just under 600 bucks...sounds like a good deal to me... gonna have to check it out. not a steal like you got though.

the got a krankenstein too...i know you dont care, just a little rant.

EDIT: OHH! and happy NAD!!
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Oct 15, 2009,
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
what a snag. I just found a Krank Rev1 for 699 at a local guitar center, and with that 15% off would put it just under 600 bucks...sounds like a good deal to me... gonna have to check it out. not a steal like you got though.

the got a krankenstein too...i know you dont care, just a little rant.

EDIT: OHH! and happy NAD!!

I would jump on the Rev 1. I did manage to be a douche and play some Thunderhorse on it when I tried it out. Very punishing head for metal (in a good way).

Oh, and Krankensteins suck imo. Why anyone in their right mind would want Darrell Abbott's tone is beyond me.
Quote by BeethovensBust
I would jump on the Rev 1. I did manage to be a douche and play some Thunderhorse on it when I tried it out. Very punishing head for metal (in a good way).

Oh, and Krankensteins suck imo. Why anyone in their right mind would want Darrell Abbott's tone is beyond me.

yeah...i never liked the Steins either. Darrell was the **** when he was alive...i wish people would stop beating the dead horse though. the price on that Rev was the best i have ever seen for any krank.

im gonna head down there today...im not worried about the OD channel..i know it can hold its own. I wanna see if those kleens are as bad as i think they will be.
Quote by BeethovensBust
Thanks.
It's voiced darker than the SLO, I believe. Of course, you can't tell when the presence is at 10.

I don't know about different voicing, but the differences in the components alone will make a difference, even with an identical circuit. I can't belive it could sound more aggressive than an SLO. The SLO is probably THE MOST aggressive sounding amp I've ever heard, & I've played hundreds. Punch, dynamics, & above all, clarity, are what make for a truly "aggressive" sound IMO.
When I initially called Soldano about the amps (before I bought the SLO), they explained it this way:

If you played an SLO one day, a Decatone the next day, & an Avenger the day after, you would think all 3 amps are absolutely identical sounding on the OD channel. BUT, if you played them side by side, they said the SLO has a bit more punch & depth to it compared to the other 2, which they said really ARE almost identical.

That was enough for me, as I had my mind set on buying an Avenger or Decatone. The only reason I got the SLO was that it was only $2450 on ebay (& it's purple !)

Crap, dude. I STILL cannot believe you got that amp so cheap brand new. That is probably THE SINGLE BEST amp deal I've ever heard of! You are the man!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Oct 15, 2009,
why did you get a 15% discount?
I may pick up a windsor for 199$ tommorow or I may save up for a JMP they have in there.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
**** me, that's an awesome deal
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by stykerwolf
I would KILL for a Soldano :O

That's one dayum nice deal, but don't you have a Dr. Z JR and a Bogner?

Dr. Z Mini Z: Sold it off. Sounded nice, actually, but I got a killer deal on it and planned on selling it anyways.

Bogner Duende: Same as above. The Bogner owned the Z at everything, but that was to be expected.
Page 1 of 2