Much more aggression. You've gotta really feel the lyrics, also. You can't do a convincing job with completely flat affect. Timing's a little off, as well. I would probably hold off on covering songs like this until you've progressed, and honestly, I personally wouldn't tackle a Pantera song until you're very sure of what you're doing, simply because of Phil Anselmo's vocal style. There isn't a healthy way of approaching those vocals that I'm aware of. Listen to his "singing" these days. Utter destruction for his vocal chords.

All that being said, I'm not sure your voice is suited for this song. Don't be mistaken, I don't think your voice is bad, just not right for Pantera, at least not now. You could most certainly work your ass off and be able to have the prowess to do Pantera songs, but not at this point. My biggest advice for you, technically speaking, would be to find a way to allow your voice to resonate pleasantly.
Quote by Chaingarden
Much more aggression. You've gotta really feel the lyrics, also. You can't do a convincing job with completely flat affect. Timing's a little off, as well. I would probably hold off on covering songs like this until you've progressed, and honestly, I personally wouldn't tackle a Pantera song until you're very sure of what you're doing, simply because of Phil Anselmo's vocal style. There isn't a healthy way of approaching those vocals that I'm aware of. Listen to his "singing" these days. Utter destruction for his vocal chords.

All that being said, I'm not sure your voice is suited for this song. Don't be mistaken, I don't think your voice is bad, just not right for Pantera, at least not now. You could most certainly work your ass off and be able to have the prowess to do Pantera songs, but not at this point. My biggest advice for you, technically speaking, would be to find a way to allow your voice to resonate pleasantly.

Thanks for the advice. I usually sing this song more aggressively when I'm practicing through my amp, but I couldn't get it to sound good with my crappy gaming headset so I just did it clean.

Also, timing was definitely a bit off but, what did you mean by "flat effect"? You mean simply flat? (I've only been singing for about 4 months or so, by the way)
I agree completely with chaingarden here. Note he said 'flat Affect", not "flat Effect." By affect, he meant emotion.... flat emotion.

That said, when you sing and you do not allow your voice to resonate (generally the result of "pushing" the voice too quickly out of the vocal cords), your voice takes on a one-dimensional, kind of 'lifeless" tone that lacks vibrance. Like dead guitar strings, that causes your voice to go flat too... not so much flat in pitch, but flat in tone.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I agree completely with chaingarden here. Note he said 'flat Affect", not "flat Effect." By affect, he meant emotion.... flat emotion.

That said, when you sing and you do not allow your voice to resonate (generally the result of "pushing" the voice too quickly out of the vocal cords), your voice takes on a one-dimensional, kind of 'lifeless" tone that lacks vibrance. Like dead guitar strings, that causes your voice to go flat too... not so much flat in pitch, but flat in tone.

CT

Ah, I see. Thanks, i'll work on it.
You just need to feel it more. Besides Pantera is pretty difficult to pull off really.

Try some Alice In Chains or Staind. That feels like it may fit your voice a bit better.
I think it's getting there for what you are trying to achieve. You certainly don't want me to comment on your technique, because you cannot sing this style of music with anything resembling proper technique. A few minor pitch issues.

Advice - be careful.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
I think it's getting there for what you are trying to achieve. You certainly don't want me to comment on your technique, because you cannot sing this style of music with anything resembling proper technique. A few minor pitch issues.

Advice - be careful.

CT

Please do comment on my technique! How bad is this for my voice? It never really hurts when i sing like this, so how bad can it be? I drink plenty of water and never lose my voice even after a few hours of practice (I don't think i've ever lost my voice before, as a matter of fact)

I also know how to sing cleanly with (mostly) proper technique, but i just sing this way to get a huskier, heavier tone.
Quote by Glyph92
Please do comment on my technique!

You lack resonance, and your tone is coming directly from your throat. The two problems are inherently and inextricably related.

Quote by Glyph92

How bad is this for my voice? It never really hurts when i sing like this, so how bad can it be?

... a good start... https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1218090

Quote by Glyph92

I drink plenty of water and never lose my voice even after a few hours of practice (I don't think i've ever lost my voice before, as a matter of fact)

Consider yourself lucky. Six chambers.... one = click; two = click; three = click; four = ??

Quote by Glyph92

I also know how to sing cleanly with (mostly) proper technique, but i just sing this way to get a huskier, heavier tone.

So, you know how this feels different than singing cleanly? That's where your technique is falling down.

CT

Matey, I listened to it for a sec, and then made sure I could only hear the voice channel (right side). Would you honestly say that this sounds like you're in control of your voice? I wouldn't. It's all over the place. But one of the reasons this is expected is because of Axeman's comments above, it's completely from the throat. Two other reasons would be that you haven't learnt to control your breathing correctly, and you probably practice singing with the cd all the time.

Have you seen those American Idol rehearsals where they come along with an Ipod in their ears and sing along with the song? Well that's a similar result to what you're getting. I think you should record yourself without the original vocals and really judge how you sound. I have a big suspicion that you have never heard your own voice before.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Sounds better than the Cemetery Gates one. I dunno if it's necessarily entirely convincing, but it's certainly not horrible. There are a few pitch issues, and I wouldn't say it sounds comfortable, but it's not awful.

If it doesn't hurt, you're probably alright. But only until it starts to. Honestly though, if you're covering Pantera, and pulling it off well, it's probably going to hurt eventually.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try recording without the backing track and adjust my pitch from there.