Page 4 of 24
Don't like them. Hideously over-rated and their bassist is a pillock, he's convinced teh Knot have done lots for extreme metal. FAUL!
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
...they sort of have. They have a far bigger audience than any extreme metal act, but are far more extreme than other widely known metal acts so they can act as a gateway of sorts.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Last edited by duncang at Oct 17, 2009,
Did I miss something? Since when are Slipknot extreme metal? Take a look at Cradle of Filth if you want an act which is comercially successful and has done something for extreme metal.
Quote by KreatorRage
Take a look at Cradle of Filth if you want an act which is comercially successful and has done something for extreme metal.

No. Unless of course by "done something for extreme metal" you mean bastardized pseudo black metal with gothic influences, then yes
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Quote by duncang
...they sort of have. They have a far bigger audience than any extreme metal act, but are far more extreme than other widely known metal acts so they can act as a gateway of sorts.

that's true.. they have a lot more extreme influence in their music than other mainstream stuff like LoG of BFMV
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by KreatorRage
Did I miss something? Since when are Slipknot extreme metal? Take a look at Cradle of Filth if you want an act which is comercially successful and has done something for extreme metal.

You don't have to be extreme metal to do something for its growth.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
I wouldn't say they're even as extreme as LoG. They're just not extreme. And neither are BFMV.
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
I like people = sh*t
Had to be in the pit for that when i was younger
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by duncang

So by this logic, Hatebreed is brutal death metal? No?
Quote by xChristgrindeRx

No. Slipknot aren't extreme metal but they've done a lot for it.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
No, a lot for it.

So many people get into harder forms of metal through Slipknot it's ridiculous. Plenty of people here probably used to listen to them and similar bands.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by xChristgrindeRx

Oh god, it's back.
Slipknot was my gateway band for heavier music, I'm a walking example of what duncang's talking about.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Arch Enemy, Megadeth and Metallica were my gateways so whatever, I mean seriously though just post in other threads if this is still causing an uproar, most of the regulars are still here and posting things can go on as before.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by duncang
No, a lot for it.

So many people get into harder forms of metal through Slipknot it's ridiculous. Plenty of people here probably used to listen to them and similar bands.

Actually this is both true and false, in a sense. I know many people who have been listening to slipknot for years and have never given anything heavier a try. At maximum, they get into other posercore/nu metal like the majority of metalcore, etc. through slipknot. Of course, I'm sure some people starting out listening to them and then starting listening to other things (sorry for the awkward phrasing throughout, I'm trying to avoid terms like "actual metal", true, etc. )
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Quote by Nelsean
LOL @ all the butthurt metalheads.

I think they're a reasonably entertaining band despite all the pathetic bandwaggon douchbaggery that seems to go on in this forum.

you forgot pretentious as ****

[edit]

Slipknot > Grom

rofl
Last edited by NosferatuZodd09 at Oct 17, 2009,
About ****ing time, now someone start up the Fear Factory thread up, so I can make Spynal's body turn in it's grave. Jesus I rember how long those arguments in the Fear Factory thread were.
imo, these type of nu-metal bands should go to the hardcore forum...there's less activity there than in the metal area.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Traffic has nothing to do with it, 99% of nu-metal bands have virtually no direct hardcore influence in the way metalcore bands do.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

at his command
Quote by las7
About ****ing time, now someone start up the Fear Factory thread up, so I can make Spynal's body turn in it's grave. Jesus I rember how long those arguments in the Fear Factory thread were.

i lol'd
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I was impressed with how the lead playing improved from Vol.3 to All Hope Is Gone. Some of the solos on Vol. 3 were quite poor but I was pleased overall with the solos and leads on All Hope Is Gone.
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
I suppose they are 'metal'.

But something doesn't sit right in my stomach when I see Entombed, Morbid Angel, and Dissection in the same sub-forum as Slipknot.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
what part of slipknot is not metal (except vermilion pt. 2 that song sucks monkey balls i know)but have you listened to ppl=****?? or gehenna?? do you ppl even know what the hell your talkin about?
Nu-metal was given it's own forum because of the surge of popularity in nu-metal. And now the forum has too little traffic so they decided to rid of it. The bands should be back in here and just because people think their not "troo" like Agalloch, Entombed or Morbid Angel doesn't make a difference.

That said, I used to think Slipknot were ok but trying to get into their albums just left me bored.
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
Quote by dakota75
what part of slipknot is not metal (except vermilion pt. 2 that song sucks monkey balls i know)but have you listened to ppl=****?? or gehenna?? do you ppl even know what the hell your talkin about?

yea man i mean theyre just so brutal and metal
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by dakota75

Stereotypical Slipknot fan. Way to go. (he's even got the bad grammar and spelling )

Quote by illuminatiano

Damn, you beat me to making fun of this guy
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Quote by dakota75

You imply that Slipknot is metal. Then you question whether we know what we're talking about.

They are a bastardization of everything that metal has ever claimed to stand for. They are mainstream musicians who have managed to cater to a crowd of angry 12 year old's who think it's 'metal' to swear when mommy isn't around.

Quote by dakota75

Seriously, out of all the decent songs they have, you pick Gehenna as an example of how metal they are? It's one of their most boring songs, along with the rest of their 'creepy' ones like Prosthetics, Scissors, Skin Ticket, The Virus of Life, etc.
Quote by duncang

at his command
while I'm gonna say I like them, I MUCH prefer their 3rd/4th albums. They would be golden if they had more solos with less effects and started playing their better songs live, not fan favorites, and got more consistent. Like, an album that had stuff like Gematria and All Hope is Gone would probably be great.
Quote by leftyace
You imply that Slipknot is metal. Then you question whether we know what we're talking about.

They are a bastardization of everything that metal has ever claimed to stand for. They are mainstream musicians who have managed to cater to a crowd of angry 12 year old's who think it's 'metal' to swear when mommy isn't around.

Unlike bands like, Metallica, Megadeth or Slayer. The fact that you say the bastardization of metal is the fact that they are mainstream is plain retarded. The fact that they ever got popular in the first place was an unlikley event, and know they recieve less credit because they enjoy success.
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
Quote by Rhyan_EG
Unlike bands like, Metallica, Megadeth or Slayer. The fact that you say the bastardization of metal is the fact that they are mainstream is plain retarded. The fact that they ever got popular in the first place was an unlikley event, and know they recieve less credit because they enjoy success.

Give me 100 twelve year olds and let me survey them with this question:

I am thinking of four bands: Slipknot, Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer. Please tell me one song from each band, if you can.

The overwhelming majority will be able to say a Slipknot song but no Megadeth or Slayer. Metallica hasn't interested me for a long long time...they also cashed into the world of the radio-waves. I don't feel they deserve any credit for their work within the metal world because instead of being constructive they've just brough unwanted traffic.

Quote by illuminatiano

look man im statin my opinion and simply saying that i dont understand where you began to think that slipknot is not metal ok?? look just someone explain to me why you dont think they are metal because i dont get your reasoning
Quote by CTFOD
Seriously, out of all the decent songs they have, you pick Gehenna as an example of how metal they are? It's one of their most boring songs, along with the rest of their 'creepy' ones like Prosthetics, Scissors, Skin Ticket, The Virus of Life, etc.

well thats not exactly the best example i will give you that. im gonna replace gehenna with purity and add scisors,disasterpeice,my plague,and snap
Quote by dakota75
look man im statin my opinion and simply saying that i dont understand where you began to think that slipknot is not metal ok?? look just someone explain to me why you dont think they are metal because i dont get your reasoning

Twisted Sister is heavier than them. There is no possible way I will ever consider Slipknot metal. They have weak riffs, weak screaming, gimmicky masks/costumes, and weak bass. Joey jordison is good but I can think of at least 15 better drummers and I don't even play drums. They appeal to emo people. Every emo person I know has all hope is gone on their ipod. There are so many better bands than them.
e-married to Jack (bladez)
Quote by dakota75

Everytime I read your posts, the little voice in my head reading it..is reading it aloud in the voice of a man Downs Syndrome.

I think they're a great segway into metal...I think they're metal because they don't fit anywhere else..and frankly, that's the same with most metal bands. Except Manowar. They were born metal.
Quote by ESPLTDV401DX
Twisted Sister is heavier than them. There is no possible way I will ever consider Slipknot metal. They have weak riffs, weak screaming, gimmicky masks/costumes, and weak bass. Joey jordison is good but I can think of at least 15 better drummers and I don't even play drums. They appeal to emo people. Every emo person I know has all hope is gone on their ipod. There are so many better bands than them.

twisted sister,really?? come on man i know slipknot is not the heaviest band thats ever came out but dude twisted sister?? i can make a band heavier than twisted sister and in your opinion i dont even listen to metal!!!!! come on you gotta do better than that