Page 5 of 24
Quote by severed-metal
Everytime I read your posts, the little voice in my head reading it..is reading it aloud in the voice of a man Downs Syndrome.

I think they're a great segway into metal...I think they're metal because they don't fit anywhere else..and frankly, that's the same with most metal bands. Except Manowar. They were born metal.

Whenever I make fun of Slipknot theres always that person that says "well they probably got you into metal so shutup"

If there was any band that got me into metal it was SOAD, the only Nu-metal band that I can stand. Them and probably some old metallica CD's my dad had. I really don't 'owe' Slipknot anything. The bands that got me into Extreme Metal were COB and Behemoth. So basically, I owe much thanks to SOAD, COB, and Behemoth. Slipknot....not so much.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
It seems like a lot of the hate towards them is just because they're popular.
The masks and superfluous band members always put me off, that definitely made them seem a bit gimmicky; although I don't like what I've heard of their music, I haven't really heard enough to judge.
Up The Boro!
I mean, I just don't like the music itself, and i've never really liked them, metallica and slayer got me into metal, not slipknot. And dakota, if you knew anything about metal, you'd know that slipknot are one of many bands to surge out of the "nu-metal" scene. Nu-metal =/= metal. They are weak in aspects of technical ability and being heavy.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by dakota75
twisted sister,really?? come on man i know slipknot is not the heaviest band thats ever came out but dude twisted sister?? i can make a band heavier than twisted sister and in your opinion i dont even listen to metal!!!!! come on you gotta do better than that

I could name about 30 bands of the top of my head heavier then slipknot. Obviously Twisted sister was an exageration.
e-married to Jack (bladez)
Quote by ESPLTDV401DX
Twisted Sister is heavier than them. There is no possible way I will ever consider Slipknot metal. They have weak riffs, weak screaming, gimmicky masks/costumes, and weak bass. Joey jordison is good but I can think of at least 15 better drummers and I don't even play drums. They appeal to emo people. Every emo person I know has all hope is gone on their ipod. There are so many better bands than them.

Posts like this is why other users of UG think that the regular users of the metal forum are ignorant twats. Because we all know that heavy = METUL.

And also because some people who follow a fashion trend like them, they aren't metal. What about the millions of other fans who aren't 'emo'? I can think of quite a few excellent metal bands that have weak riffs. Blind Guardian by no means have strong riffs but are still one of the most respected metal band.

People seem to get caught up in the fact that they are more popular with a younger audiance, and then pick at them and point things out that are common traits in many other groups. Is King Diamond a good singer? Not really, but I still love Mercyful Fate. Last time I checked, not every single metal band consists of the most talented musicians to walk the Earth.

I don't see Slipknot fans go and troll the Opeth, or Necrophagist threads saying how much they think that they suck, so I don't see why people feel the need to do that in this thread.
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
Quote by Rhyan_EG

People seem to get caught up in the fact that they are more popular with a younger audiance, and then pick at them and point things out that are common traits in many other groups. Is King Diamond a good singer? Not really, but I still love Mercyful Fate. Last time I checked, not every single metal band consists of the most talented musicians to walk the Earth.

\.

wat

Quote by illuminatiano
I mean, I just don't like the music itself, and i've never really liked them, metallica and slayer got me into metal, not slipknot. And dakota, if you knew anything about metal, you'd know that slipknot are one of many bands to surge out of the "nu-metal" scene. Nu-metal =/= metal. They are weak in aspects of technical ability and being heavy.

other than slipknot i probably listen to the same stuff you do and no im not sayin slipknot is the greatest band ive ever listened to because they arent by far but im just sayin that i dont understand why you dont think slipknot is metal well they are good but i like many bands better
Quote by Rhyan_EG

I don't see Slipknot fans go and troll the Opeth, or Necrophagist threads saying how much they think that they suck, so I don't see why people feel the need to do that in this thread.

that's only because the nu-metal subforum just got deleted, so all of these bands need somewhere to go. Putting slipknot into the metal forum just begs for flaming and trolling by the metal community.
Quote by leftyace
wat

I would say he's more of an effective vocalist than a technically good singer, if you get what I mean.
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
Quote by Rhyan_EG
Posts like this is why other users of UG think that the regular users of the metal forum are ignorant twats. Because we all know that heavy = METUL.

And also because some people who follow a fashion trend like them, they aren't metal. What about the millions of other fans who aren't 'emo'? I can think of quite a few excellent metal bands that have weak riffs. Blind Guardian by no means have strong riffs but are still one of the most respected metal band.

Sorry to you and dakota75 about being a douche. I am just a little pissed and vented it in this thread. Now that I feel a little bit better I will post what I REALLY think of them. The band to me is meh.
e-married to Jack (bladez)
Quote by Rhyan_EG
I would say he's more of an effective vocalist than a technically good singer, if you get what I mean.

wat
Quote by dakota75
Other than Slipknot I probably listen to the same stuff you do. And no, I am not saying that Slipknot is the greatest band I've ever listened to, because they aren't by far. However, I'm just saying that I dont understand why you don't think Slipknot is metal. Well, they are good but I like many bands better

fixed.

I don't normally do this, but my eyes hurt that time.

Quote by illuminatiano
that's only because the nu-metal subforum just got deleted, so all of these bands need somewhere to go. Putting slipknot into the metal forum just begs for flaming and trolling by the metal community.

I don't see that as justification. If you don't like them, don't bother posting in the thread.

Also, the other nu-metal bands that were added to the metal forum haven't gotten bashed like Slipknot has.
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Rhyan_EG

Yea, I think I get what your going at. His Falsetto is nearly trademarked in the metal world, IMO.

Meh, I don't really care who considers Slipknot metal or not, but I really can't see them as good musicians at all.
Quote by dakota75
other than slipknot i probably listen to the same stuff you do and no im not sayin slipknot is the greatest band ive ever listened to because they arent by far but im just sayin that i dont understand why you dont think slipknot is metal well they are good but i like many bands better

it's not that I think that they are not metal, it's just a fact they are not. Slipknot have a DJ on turntables, another guy in charge of samples. Having a dj in your band, and having a hard rock sound are huge traits of Nu-metal.
Quote by Rhyan_EG
I don't see that as justification. If you don't like them, don't bother posting in the thread.

Also, the other nu-metal bands that were added to the metal forum haven't gotten bashed like Slipknot has.

the justification is putting non-metal bands into the METAL forum. They had it coming !
Quote by leftyace
fixed.

I don't normally do this, but my eyes hurt that time.

what the hell you mean fixed??
Quote by illuminatiano
the justification is putting non-metal bands into the METAL forum. They had it coming !

They are a metal band though. They pretty much left the nu-metal sound behind after their first album. I'd also like to know what specifically about their sound is so 'not metal'?
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by dakota75
what the hell you mean fixed??

I added commas, capitalized letters, and other random grammatical corrections. I wouldn't exactly classify myself as a grammer nazi but seriously, other people have to be able to read it man.

Quote by Rhyan_EG
They are a metal band though. They pretty much left the nu-metal sound behind after their first album. I'd also like to know what specifically about their sound is so 'not metal'?

I mean, they have 2 DJs in the band, and one guy hitting trashcans. Also, try to compare the music....

slipknot's psychosocial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERB2amudLsI

death's scavenger of human sorrow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdEPnGUPc5s&feature=PlayList&p=6F1D34D22513FB05&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=59

huge difference. Vocals, instruments. Everything.
Quote by illuminatiano
I mean, they have 2 DJs in the band, and one guy hitting trashcans. Also, try to compare the music....

slipknot's psychosocial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdEPnGUPc5s&feature=PlayList&p=6F1D34D22513FB05&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=59

They have one DJ and one keyboardist. They have a guy who, as part of his live kit, has a beer keg.

Also, after you compare Slipknot to Death, compare Death to Blind Guardian, and then Blind Guardian to Megadeth, and then Megadeth to Opeth.
Quote by severed-metal

hey illuminatiano what you listen to because i can almost guarentee that i listen to the same stuff
Blind Guardian is power metal...different than death metal. It is however way more technical, fast and more metal than Slipknot.

dakota, I listen to opeth, btbam, death, behemoth, meshuggah, agalloch, dream theater, cynic, atheist, amon amarth, gojira, pestilence, obscura, necrophagist, cryptopsy, nevermore, racer x, nile, scale the summit, wintersun, as far as metal goes. ( and many more bands than that, these are just what I pulled off my head )
Quote by illuminatiano

slipknot's psychosocial

dude of the songs you could have used you chose physchosocial?? man if your gonna compare them compare there best songs not just some random song you thought of from them
Quote by illuminatiano
Blind Guardian is power metal...different than death metal. It is however way more technical, fast and more metal than Slipknot.

dakota, I listen to opeth, btbam, death, behemoth, meshuggah, agalloch, dream theater, cynic, atheist, amon amarth, gojira, pestilence, obscura, necrophagist, cryptopsy, nevermore, racer x, nile, scale the summit, wintersun, as far as metal goes. ( and many more bands than that, these are just what I pulled off my head )

Yes, and Slipknot don't fit into the same sub categories that Death or Blind Guardian do, that was my point. Metal is diverse. If I were to put Slipknot into a subgenre, it would probably be groove metal. Compare Slipknot to Pantera or Machine Head and you will hear definate similarities.
Quote by severed-metal

yeah besides meshugga and necrophagist i listen to just the same stuff along wit some u didnt say. I listen to slayer,megadeth,slipknot,cradle of filth,lamb of god,behemoth,cannibal corpse,dimmu borgir,and gorgoroth. I listen to more but i didn't feel like typing it all
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

Can the mods please just make an official decision on this so the thread can either be closed, or discussion of whether the thread should be here in the first place can be taken to the appropriate forum. BTW I think Slipknot are metal. Contrary to popular beleif, crappy metal still is metal.

Personally I'm just waiting for someone to say "LOL Slipknot aren't metal, they're NU - metal!"
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
Last edited by ride-the-spiral at Oct 17, 2009,
"Lol Slipknot aren't metal, they're NU-metal!"

*Puts on some Grand Belial's Key to jam out to*
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by Rhyan_EG
Yes, and Slipknot don't fit into the same sub categories that Death or Blind Guardian do, that was my point. Metal is diverse. If I were to put Slipknot into a subgenre, it would probably be groove metal. Compare Slipknot to Pantera or Machine Head and you will hear definate similarities.

comparing slipknot to pantera, exhorder, sepultura..... not the same music at all
Quote by The Virtuoso
"Lol Slipknot aren't metal, they're NU-metal!"

*Puts on some Grand Belial's Key to jam out to*

Seems to be the general consensus of these forums right now
Quote by illuminatiano

slipknot's psychosocial

so following this logic, Blind Guardian aren't metal because they sound different from Scavenger of Human Sorrow?

tbh I couldn't care less if they're in this forum or elsewhere, as long as the place doesn't suddenly become filled with **** like "zomg new album, what do you guise think, I think there first was awesome 666 MAGGOAT"

you get the idea

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
so following this logic, Blind Guardian aren't metal because they sound different from Scavenger of Human Sorrow?

tbh I couldn't care less if they're in this forum or elsewhere, as long as the place doesn't suddenly become filled with **** like "zomg new album, what do you guise think, I think there first was awesome 666 MAGGOAT"

you get the idea

why does everyone want to bring up blind guardian in this conversation ?

but no, I was just comparing the vocals and the instruments, how they are far apart from each other. death was much more technical, fast, with growls and screams.
Quote by Emenius Sleepus

you get the idea

I think he was pointing out the stylistic differences between the two artists, saying that the differences were so huge that SK was not metal compared to a band that is often seen as a go-to example of what death metal should sound like. I'm not sure I agree with this play of logic, but that's what he was going for IMO.

Everybody having a massive period about this band being allowed in here: grow some bollocks. It is the categorisation of a band in a forum on the internet. Stop crying and making such absolute twats out of yourselves.
Quote by webbtje
Everybody having a massive period about this band being allowed in here: grow some bollocks. It is the categorisation of a band in a forum on the internet. Stop crying and making such absolute twats out of yourselves.

Your whining about whining? It's the internet, chill.

Quote by illuminatiano
why does everyone want to bring up blind guardian in this conversation ?

but no, I was just comparing the vocals and the instruments, how they are far apart from each other. death was much more technical, fast, with growls and screams.

I'm not sure tbh lol, just the first name that popped into my head, but I mean you could use any example; Warning, for instance; or Pagan Altar or Meads of Asphodel or smth.

The point is, they sound very different from say, Death, yet are still quite decidedly metal, so it wasn't the best example really

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by webbtje

that too

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by webbtje

I am not crying, and I'm not exactly sure if I am making a twat out of myself, but I was just discussing and proving my point that slipknot =/= metal.

but i'll be on my way.