Poll: Thoughts on music with screaming?
Poll Options
View poll results: Thoughts on music with screaming?
A little is good.
169 35%
I love me some screaming.
210 43%
Screaming music mostly sucks.
65 13%
Screaming automatically makes a band not worthy of my ears.
43 9%
Voters: 487.
Page 1 of 5
poll coming.

What do you guys think about screaming in music do you listen to bands with lots or little screaming or can you not take any at all personally I can't listen to any more screaming then that which is used by The Devil Wears Prada.
I HATE the type of screaming vocals they use in hardcore and all of it's subgenres, it's annoying as hell. I like it in a lot of metal if it's used right.

EDIT: Example, the higher pitched vocals in the verse of this song sound pretty badass with the song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_JB2N23VG8&fmt=18
Last edited by KeepOnRotting at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by KeepOnRotting
I HATE the type of screaming vocals they use in hardcore and all of it's subgenres, it's annoying as hell. I like it in a lot of metal if it's used right.
+1. I enjoy the occasional scream, for example RATM kind of stuff, but hate "screamo" and other associated genres.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by i_don't_know
Hate it. Sing real notes or GTFO.

it actually takes a lot of skill to be able to scream properly and not just be shouting at the top of your lungs
Quote by food1010
+1. I enjoy the occasional scream, for example RATM kind of stuff.

i agree
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
it really depends, in metal its a must.
but bands like devil wears prada just suck
Gear
Fender MIM strat
Epiphone G-400 in white (yeah i know, fuck you i like it)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff
Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion
EHX Nano Small Stone
Boss DD-3 Delay
Vox V847-A Wah
Radial London Bones
Quote by mashizz
it actually takes a lot of skill to be able to scream properly and not just be shouting at the top of your lungs

This.

How about "Appreciate different styles of music or GTFO."
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

In hardcore I probably only like Parkway Drive and mabye A Day To Remember. Apart from that any other band in the genre the singer just annoys me.
"If I told you that, I'd have to kill you."
"Why is it like.. top secret?"
"No."

Last.fm
If the singer is screaming b/c they are naturally getting into the song it sounds amazing, like Claudio in the neverender live album. But when a band has a 'vocalist' dedicated to screaming, I'm not into it.
Eh, it doesn't really matter to me. I like when bands do both, and I like when bands use growls/shrieks as its primary vocal style, and I like when bands use clean singing as their primary vocal style.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
I don't like obnoxious "screamo" screaming, but screaming that actually sounds like someone screaming like in Oh! Darling by The Beatles is great when used properly.
Quote by StratMaster2
it really depends, in metal its a must.
but bands like devil wears prada just suck

It really isn't, but okay.

I enjoy screaming.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
The Devil Wears Prada is terrible.

Screaming doesn't make or break a band for me though, I listen to all kinds of stuff. Most of you have only heard stuff like TDWP when they think of "screamo", which is no where close to what bands like TDWP or any of that **** is.
You are not specific enough. I am just gonna say that I like death metal, deathcore, and grindcore.
Im HATE the "hardocre" style screaming. its just scream, highpitched scream, barf scream.

but but screaming in general is okay when used apropriately. sing screaming is good. System of a down uses ist well. Nirvana does to. although I have to admit I don't like how curt does it sokmetimes, but he knows when to do it. If he screams it usually fits the song and isn't the main vocal line. he'l sing most of it.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by bellamy_morello
i agree

Yeah. He only screamed occasionally and it was pretty awesomely angsty. Though I like the higher pitched Protest the Hero screams as well.
He's no good to me dead-Boba Fett
I enjoy all types of vocals except the male pop singer's who sing soft and think there sensitive because they don't have any force or power in there vocal's.
the last two options are basically the same thing...
I only like some vocalists' screams. Most suck at it and should stick to just plain singing.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by mashizz

this. Phil Anselmo? Corey Taylor? both have a fraction of their vocal power they had 10 years ago.

Jens Kidman from Meshuggah, now THERE'S a kickass vocalist with awesome screaming technique.

also, screaming is cool, but so is singing it needs to fit the music.
Quote by maXterbat0r
Screaming? I love Stallagh!

I've found that the only thing Stallagh is good for is messing with stoned people.
Quote by Ponyexpress
what about bands like Protest The Hero
and
Thrice
?

they aint for me
i like the mars volta
Gear
Fender MIM strat
Epiphone G-400 in white (yeah i know, fuck you i like it)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff
Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion
EHX Nano Small Stone
Boss DD-3 Delay
Vox V847-A Wah
Radial London Bones
Metal screaming=good in general
Hardcore/screamo=bad(imo)
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by Ponyexpress
what about bands like Protest The Hero
and
Thrice
?

I don't like the lower screams that the other band members do sometimes. But I kinda get over it because the lyrics are kind of funny. Funny on purpose I might add
He's no good to me dead-Boba Fett
it sounds good in the proper place. Singing just to scream is stupid, and a trend i hope dies off soon.
However some bands can make the screams work. Thrice is one band who use screams incredibly effectively.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Bands that scream so loud you can't understand what their saying and they try to sound like a super evil demon when they sing, are usually composed of total nerds.
Some screams are ok, but screaming all the time sucks. Growls are even worse... flame me ******s i don't care. I don't care if it takes talent to sound like you're puking... ****.
I like well placed screaming. I don't usually listen to bands that use only screams/growls, but I definitely like screaming when it fits. Makes things so much more intense, sometimes.
My Signature.

But personally, i guess it depends on what is defined as 'screaming'. i personally enjoy 'yelling', that is, loud singing with notes, but very raspy and rough-edged.

examples: Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Local H

Now what i DO hate is the type of screaming thats used in, for example, Screamo, Black Metal, Death Metal, and all that kind of stuff.

So the answer is, yes, but as long as it isn't too much screaming where i can't understand them or can't make out a note.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Quote by apak
the last two options are basically the same thing...
I only like some vocalists' screams. Most suck at it and should stick to just plain singing.

No they are very different one is "screaming sucks most of the time but it's ok sometimes" and the second one is "I would never consider listening to anything with screaming in it ever"
Quote by Spike6sic6
Metal screaming=good in general
Hardcore/screamo=bad(imo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KyYtPb30Wg

Owned

I'll listen to whatever sounds good, from gutturals to falsettos.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Last edited by CG Man16 at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by RockIsHowIRoll
does mastodon or dethklok count? if so then yes if not then i hate screaming in music

Dethklok uses growls. Totally different.

Personally, I enjoy most vocal styles, except for that gurgling stuff that's in some grindcore or brutal death (or wherever it was I heard it).
Quote by KeepOnRotting
I've found that the only thing Stallagh is good for is messing with stoned people.

Ehh, I like alot of stuff that's fit for stoned people, while perfectly sober.

The screaming is pretty intense, you gotta admit.
I mainly listen to music with screaming but music thats like "let's see how many different animal sounds and freakish gugrgles we can make with our voices" i don't like
Quote by adr11iano
gain:9
treble:8
mids:5
bass:6
volume:0

this is the best when playing paramore
Page 1 of 5