Page 1 of 2
Why is it everyone thinks that Travis Barker is such an amazing drummer? Everytime im watching a Gavin Harrison or Buddy Rich vid on youtube there is always someone going on about him. Is it because he can do a bit of baton/stick twirling?

What attributes do you think the best drummers have?
Quote by Survivalism
Because artist forum.

Pop punk fans will probably be unlikely to be able to discuss the finer aspects of drumming bro
I certaintly don't think he's the greatest, but he is a very talented drummer.
Music.

PSN: JSniper-
Add me, and say you're from UG.

And yeah, I did make that name up when I was 13.
Quote by joshua122593
Because he was in a plane crash and survived.

I thought it was just dead musicians who were absurdly overrated due to plane crashes.
I think Dave Grohl is a better drummer than Travis Barker. I will say that I feel bad about the plane crash thing though
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by lucertia.
Why is it everyone thinks that Travis Barker is such an amazing drummer? Everytime im watching a Gavin Harrison or Buddy Rich vid on youtube there is always someone going on about him. Is it because he can do a bit of baton/stick twirling?

What attributes do you think the best drummers have?

Because he is good. And his two other bandmates suck, making him appear amazing. I'm a huge fan of blink too. He is it pretty innovative on what he does with his drums though, not technically, but artistically. With the DJ AM mixtapes and the various remixes he has done throughout, and incorporating hip hop drum beats into pop punk/rock/punk music. He's extremely prolific as well. Go look at his wiki page. He's drummed on dozens and dozens of albums.
Lol i went on to facebook and this kid took a quiz "Who is the greatest guitarist ever?" and he picked tom delonge for every choice Blink 182 are just overated... that's all those people probably listen to so they don't know who else to pick... i'd pick john bonham.
i saw them (blink-182) live 3 weeks ago. he really is that good. he's not over-rated. he's really fast, some of his lines are simple but extremely fast. others are more complex and just as fast.
Free at last! Free at last! God Almighty FREE AT LAST!
I Pan-Tallica
Quote by maowcat
Lol i went on to facebook and this kid took a quiz "Who is the greatest guitarist ever?" and he picked tom delonge for every choice Blink 182 are just overated... that's all those people probably listen to so they don't know who else to pick... i'd pick john bonham.

I listen to Blink. I also listen to Led Zeppelin. You fail.
Quote by drewfromutah
One could argue that Blink 182 wouldn't be nearly as famous as they are today if Travis hadn't joined the band before Enema of the State. He's a very good drummer.

What's enema of the state?

I think I just defeated that argument.
Quote by daeqwon10000
Because he is good. And his two other bandmates suck, making him appear amazing. I'm a huge fan of blink too. He is it pretty innovative on what he does with his drums though, not technically, but artistically. With the DJ AM mixtapes and the various remixes he has done throughout, and incorporating hip hop drum beats into pop punk/rock/punk music. He's extremely prolific as well. Go look at his wiki page. He's drummed on dozens and dozens of albums.

I'm also a big Blink fan, but I say the same. I like them because I think Hoppus and DeLonge are hilarious and likeable, and I like their music even if itis terrible.
Music.

PSN: JSniper-
Add me, and say you're from UG.

And yeah, I did make that name up when I was 13.
can anyone provide proof of him being an exquisite drummer? i haven't seen anything that proves he's anything but your average punk drummer.

in my eyes, what defines a good drummer is not only their ability to keep time and do fills, but as on any instrument, to keep things interesting. any drummer can keep hold a beat and do some fills, very few drummers can actually make real music using nothing but their drum kit.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
can anyone provide proof of him being an exquisite drummer? i haven't seen anything that proves he's anything but your average punk drummer.

in my eyes, what defines a good drummer is not only their ability to keep time and do fills, but as on any instrument, to keep things interesting. any drummer can keep hold a beat and do some fills, very few drummers can actually make real music using nothing but their drum kit.

Many of his songs are much more technical than your average punk drummer

if you listen to his stuff he keeps his material pretty fresh and diverse
Quote by Scoot16
I'm also a big Blink fan, but I say the same. I like them because I think Hoppus and DeLonge are hilarious and likeable, and I like their music even if it is terrible.

true that man.
Quote by Waterboy799

This.

Most of his beats sound like generic punk beats to me.
Quote by TheReverend724
Many of his songs are much more technical than your average punk drummer

if you listen to his stuff he keeps his material pretty fresh and diverse

can you give me an example?
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Waterboy799
can you give me an example?

watch anything live his drum solos they are always fun to watch because not cause hes a good drummer or its technical its just fun to watch him, he makes it entertaining
I think Brain is a superior drummer.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by zchavez09
watch anything live his drum solos they are always fun to watch because not cause hes a good drummer or its technical its just fun to watch him, he makes it entertaining

yea that's what i'm doing now, he moves around a lot.

iono i guess in terms of punk music, he's good. he certainly isn't bad on the drums, but he sure as hell isn't spectacular.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Speed =/= Good.
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
He's no Carter Beauford but he is very good at what he does. Maybe a little over rated though. There's plenty of better drummers out there.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
He just has an interesting style, and he definitely is a good drummer. He doesn't stick to Punk; in Feeling This, for example, he makes great use of a cowbell (and a tambourine, but that's not as obvious), which is just cool for a Pop-Punk drummer. And look at beats like the one in the intro of I Miss You; it may not be incredibly complicated, but it keeps everything unique and interesting.

Edit: And not just things like that, even in parts where the drums aren't the center of attention, he still keeps things cool; look at the verses to Adam's Song for example. you have to admit, he's smart about it.
Last edited by herby190 at Oct 14, 2009,
He's no Danny Carey but he is very good at what he does. Maybe a little over rated though. There's plenty of better drummers out there.
Quote by StringAssassin
He's no Danny Carey but he is very good at what he does. Maybe a little over rated though. There's plenty of better drummers out there.

icwatudidthar

Quote by Aaron0612
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKQgDY0pZ68

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

Because it's a terrible example of how good of a drummer he is?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
icwatudidthar

Because it's a terrible example of how good of a drummer he is?

It's fun to watch.

Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

Neil Peart and John Bonham > Travis Barker
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Page 1 of 2