Page 1 of 2
When do you think think The Simpson's jumped the shark?

Personally ,I think it jumped the shark in the ninth season.
Simpsons had a few bumps but the last season was not too bad. It's hard to live up to your own hype but compared to the complete **** that comes out of American prime time it's still very watchable.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by Twist of fate
Happy days did it.

It's a figure of speech meaning the series went downhill
jumped the shark?

Edit:^Oh, i still think it's funny, maybe not as good, but still enjoyable.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
^Exactly. (To GaijinFoot) I think it seemed awful because 05-08 the other Fox sitcoms were in their prime. But now KOTH is gone and Family Guy sucks ass. So Simpsons and American Dad (which is now consistently watchable) seem awesome.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by Firebread
after the 90's, it just went down hill.

I agree, because from 2000 and onwards, the storylines just weren't near as good anymore
Futurama is watchable as well. I sometimes cant stand watching the Simpsons for some reason. I used to love it.
Edit: Futurama has like twenty new episodes coming out in 2010. I didn't know this until a minute ago.
He's no good to me dead-Boba Fett
Last edited by buddyboombotz at Oct 14, 2009,
Personally, I feel that everything before season 12 was great.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by buddyboombotz
Futurama is watchable as well.

Futurama is an overall excellent show. Probably the best prime time cartoon series ever.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Quote by metalhead515

South park did a thing where whatever Butters did, the Simpsons did as well. So he tried to do something the simpsons did not do.

Happy days had Fonzie jumping a shark.

This thread is about the simpsons, so I put in the "Simpsons did it" joke against them.
It happened years back for sure.

But even jumped shark Simpsons is better than most crap on TV.
The worst episodes of The Simpsons are better than the best episodes of Family Guy.

The Simpsons is still doing just fine IMO.
Quote by metalhead515

Well, kind of.

It means that a show does something completely over-the-top to try to keep viewers when it starts getting stale.

It's from Happy Days, when they had the Fonz jump over a shark on waterskis when people got bored with the show.
Quote by Firebread
after the 90's, it just went down hill.

Pretty much. My initial response was "when it stopped being funny" because it's apparently supposed to be a sitcom. I think after a while they had such a hard time coming up with plots that it was damn near impossible to fit in anything that was effortlessly funny; all the focus was put into making any episode not a complete trainwreck.

Just my two cents anyway.
Quote by Twist of fate
Happy days did it.

so good hahaha so so good.
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
I think it just got old and new stuff came out that was more controversial and intelligent and stupider. In the beginning it was pretty revolutionary but now its lame.
i think that they have run out of good material now that they are using more pop culture influences for story lines, like the MMA episode they just did
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
The Simpsons used to be a masterful satire. Whenever they broke from that format for more abstract, erratic story progressions is when they began to go downhill.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
it started to decline circa 2004
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
I'm not sure about the Simpsons. I know South Park jumped a homeless person in season 9 or so.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Around season 12 or 13, in my opinion.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
I wouldn't know. Half the episodes they show on telly here have Clinton as president and the words "Now in Stereo!" at the start.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Yeah, about Season 9...you can really see the decline with new writers and such.
The Simpsons really wrote themselves in a hole.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by sebastian_96
Yeah, about Season 9...you can really see the decline with new writers and such.
The Simpsons really wrote themselves in a hole.

they sure did and it hurts me deeply as i love the simpsons of old
I don't know what season, but I started to hate it about 2 years ago.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
I don't think it ever "jumped the shark," but it's been running for a very long time and it's tough to come up with fresh material, especially with characters that are perpetually stuck at one age in one particular idiom -- there's no natural "coming of age" or any of the other usual plot crutches you have with other sitcoms. I don't really watch it much anymore, but I used to be a huge fan.
Hi, I'm Peter
I saw a new episode the other night, and it still makes me laugh.
Its strange, but The Simpsons is one of the few shows that actually make me physically laugh. I watch South Park more lately, because it always happens to be on, but I just find things funny in that show, nothing really makes me physically laugh.

Also, Futurama is awesome.
Currently Looking For:
NES: Zelda (Gold Cart), Metroid, Ninja Turtles Series
N64: Mario 64, Majora's Mask, Harvest Moon
Yup, I agree with the people who said Season 9, I think they hired a new producer or something back then.

But still, first 8 seasons of The Simpsons + all of Futurama = total win.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
There are so many frikin episodes not all of them are gonna be good. I love the simpsons though because there is no dirty perverted humor, which isn't funny to me.
Quote by El3ment380
There are so many frikin episodes not all of them are gonna be good. I love the simpsons though because there is no dirty perverted humor, which isn't funny to me.

Oh, there's dirty pervert humour alright. There was an episode when the school gets snowed in and the kids mutiny against the teachers. they got the gym ball sack, put Skinner in it and started throwing balls at him. Skinners reply? 'stop bouncing your balls off my face'
Then the class hamster shows up and Skinner says 'Will you chew through my ball sack?'
to which the hamster was like :/.

I don't think that episode ever showed in the UK. I just see it online recently. It's about season 9.
I was shocked.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Anyone notice marge was in a cage match last episode? wtf thats not what her character would do, theyve taken every character and put their traits to the extreme.
I haven't seen any recent Simpsons episodes, but I hope it never becomes like Family Guy. Family Guy is pretty much centered on jumping the shark. Every single joke is contrived and irrelevant to the plot.
KFC started selling Simpsons figurines in my region a over a month ago. They are about 18 years late. lol

Yeah I would agree it got worse and worse after the 90's. They include too much culutural references or set the Simpsons in a different time. They just can't make a simple episode with good jokes anymore.

But if i had to qualify one moment as the jump shark stuff , it would be the episode where we see Homer in his band when he was younger. It's an obvious reference to Nirvana. Some dude see Homer play and make a call : "Hey Kurt Cobain, this is your cousin Melvin Cobain.........." or whatever name .... a joke borrowed from Back to the future. this episode showed how they couldn't come up with something new. And when you think about it : When the Simpsons started, Nirvana didn't even exist or they weren't very popular at least. To set Homer as Kurt Cobain his younger years just doesn't fit for me. For me Homer's teenage was in the 70's.
Quote by punkman_123
The Simpsons used to be a masterful satire. Whenever they broke from that format for more abstract, erratic story progressions is when they began to go downhill.

+1
2002 ish. I need to see if it's picked back up though, i enjoyed the movie.
Page 1 of 2