progress
I think im going to leave the back as is, and continue on with the front like the back (random paint around edges) or should i go all bare wood and stain it?

Qestion: Ive never taken apart a guitar before, so if i take off the neck, is it just as simple as putting it back on with the screws? do i use glue too? And is there any way to get my pickups out without cutting anything, pots in all? or atleast minimal cutting.

Going to order some new (thicker) strings. and im going to try the inlay sticker things. Decided between:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-CROSS-VINYL-DECAL-INLAY-SET_W0QQitemZ110444266221QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b6fdc2ed
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kirk-Hammett-Ouija-Replica-Vinyl-Inlay-set_W0QQitemZ150377863646QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item23033819de

another question: Whats wrong with my wood (dont laugh) at the top right? Its a different texture and is wayy rougher than the rest of the wood (smoother than silk) Is it just no finish on it? did I sand too much? is it fixable?
you've sanded through the sealer there, it's not a problem if you're painting it a solid colour, but the burst will require you to sand the entire body down to the wood (like you have in that area)

EDIT:

and for the neck, yeah, just unscrew it and remove the neckplate and screws. you'll have to remove it for finishing.

as for the pickups, when you remove the pickups from their mounts, (whether direct to the body or with rings) you'll see a wire running through the body. follow that to the pots and desolder/cut the wire from the pot, you can reattach them after.
------

Shwiggity.
Last edited by deftonesordie at Oct 14, 2009,
you sanded the body WITH EVERYTHING ON IT?

and yeah, taking a neck of is as easy as removeing the screws. and putting it on is the opposite.

and you say "new strings" like its never had new strings on it.... lolwhut?

still, its a 7 so its somewhat relivant to mah interests.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Last edited by metal-matt at Oct 14, 2009,
how does it sound like its never had new strings?

I only sanded the back so i couldnt really mess anything up. i taped everything off (including the neck) and made sure dust got NOWHERE, which it didnt. I didnt want to remove everything because Im waiting for a holiday or a day off of school so i can finish this thing in one day, so i dont have to go without a guitar for more than one day.

EDIT:
what about taking off the bridge? is it anymore than unscrewing and screwing it back on like the neck?
dude, all it is is a few screws.... you can take off the back plate and stuff
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
ahh so you dont have any other guitars... thats why your sanding it without pulling it apart...

well, anyway, its not gonna take a day to paint it. its gonna take a few. and drying time too....

its not that hard to do (pull apart/repaint) but does take awhile.

and the electronics are easy im sure, 3way 1 vol 1 tone or something? yeah easy.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
yes 1 vol 1 tone 3 way.

I have a question on the finish. since I sanded down past the sealer, and when i sand the rest down past the sealer and I stain it a dark stain, will it look funky?
no, it should just be the colour of the stain, as long as you sand it well...
------

Shwiggity.
bumpity bump
taking everything apart:
I took the easy way out and only cut the 3 wires from the input jack. The rest came out in one peice. So i only have to solder 3 wires!

sanding progress

staining today!. Color: Bombay Mahogany Gloss by Minwax. its a really dark mahogany\cherry color. almost black but a touch lighter so you can still tell its red.

Staining the fretboard Ebony
So I'm confused. What model guitar is this? It has an avenger body but it doesn't have the Gothic Cross inlays or the Avenger headstock and it's a bolt-on. It reminds me of an Omen-7 just with an Avenger body shape. Can you un-confuse me on this?
RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan
February 10, 1981 - December 28, 2009

My YouTube account:
Savage Redemption

My personal gear:
Schecter Omen-6

Questions? IM me (check my profile)

Just call me Zach
Friend Me!
Quote by SavageSyn
So I'm confused. What model guitar is this? It has an avenger body but it doesn't have the Gothic Cross inlays or the Avenger headstock and it's a bolt-on. It reminds me of an Omen-7 just with an Avenger body shape. Can you un-confuse me on this?

its not one of the recent avengers. This is actually a pretty old model. you can find them time to time on ebay. I dont know exactly when they were produced, but im guessing around 2000 or so.

Update: Stain is completely opposite of what i thought it was going to be. maybe i didnt sand enough, but i sanded the body for HOURS. Its a REALLY dark stain, almost black but just red enough to tell its red and not black. maybe ill just have to do a lot of coats. But my fretboard is turning out great.

You didn't sand enough. The darker and lighter spots show you didn't sand through all of the sealer. If I were you I would just sand it more where you didn't remove all of the sealer. Sadly I can't tell which spots are sealed and which spots aren't. You can tell by feeling it, it'll be smoother where it's still sealed. It does look really nice though, like ribbon-y mahogany.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

well that sealer must be all the way through the wood (not litterally)I sanded for HOURS with like 60 grit trying to get through it. Ive heard storys of other people with the same problem where you couldnt only get through it on the edges\horns. Like i litterally sanded for atleast 6 hours straight after the paint was coompletely off.

I went ahead with the second coat. it looks real nice, about 4 coats will be where I like it and wont show any non sealed\sealed spots. Sanding with 400 grit between coats. Leaving the brush strokes because I think it looks nice

I'm guessing you hand sanded it. A belt sander, palm sander, or orbital sander would have seriously sped things up. Even though you didn't get all the sealer off, it looks pretty cool. I'm sure after a few coats it'll look even better.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by salsawords
I'm guessing you hand sanded it. A belt sander, palm sander, or orbital sander would have seriously sped things up. Even though you didn't get all the sealer off, it looks pretty cool. I'm sure after a few coats it'll look even better.

in fact i did use a palm sander on everything, and a Dremel Multimax (swivel head not spinning) for the corners and curves. that darn stuff wouldnt come off for the life of me or the guitar. I did everything, chemicals,paint thinner, roughest grit, it still looked the same after everything. I didnt want to sand like half the body's thickness off

But its a learning experiance. this is my first time doing anything with guitars really, just always played them, not work on them. its really fun. So its either user error or really good craftsmanship
Last edited by ncbrock at Oct 17, 2009,
bump, spend 5 more hours sanding off the stain and getting through the sealer. its better now, still a few small spots that i didnt get through.
bump.
3 coats, Putting on a 4th now, Probably my last.

finished stained neck and polished frets:

Happy birthday to me, an epiphone acoustic, and some strings for my 7 and fret conditioner:

woo i <3 d'add reg lights!

and tbh the light and dark kinda make it look cool, like shadowing
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
That looks really nice, good work
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
It looks ten times better than when it was painted. Good job man.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

love it.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Brilliant.
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
thanks guys. ill get some more pics 2maro. camera is dead. I still need to fix my emg height. front one is too far away so its not getting full volume , so i need to add some more foam underneath. Ill fix them when i have to change strings or when it really annoys me
I think im gona take it to get setup by a local place. only $10, cant really beat that.