im looking for an electric upright and i dont really know where to start. i tried all the major destributers of musical things to no avail. tried google. i found a few. i was just wondering if anyone here knows of any good electric uprights. websites would be awesome. thanks in advance
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
I dont wanna be "that guy" but for the price youd pay for a good EUB, your better off just buying a regular full body upright bass and putting a pick up on it
if you're getting an EUB to substitute for an upright, think twice. it won't.

if you're getting an EUB in its own right, these are the best models i hear:

eminence
volante

then there's also the yamaha silent upright. also incredibly good.

these are all in the $2000-$3000 range, by the way.
#DTWD
I have to agree with Davey here, after spending sometime this summer trying out EUBs

EUBs sound closer to Fretless electric basses than true uprights. And several, such as the Staggs are not easy to bow because the neck is not curved as an upright.

Palatinos and Staggs (and god help us the horrible Dean EUBs) are really not performance or gig worthy. Along with the two recommended above, NS Designs makes a sweet EUB, but its easily in the 3,000 USD range. I've decided just to ditch the whole idea and try to find a decent deal on a 1/2 upright.
Quote by Casketcreep
http://www.nedsteinberger.com/instruments/eubass.php

If you have enough money, this is the ticket.

^haha yeh i just had them send me a catalogue. and seeing how i have a fretless i dont think ill get an electric. ill probably just get an upright and put a pickup on it.

and anarchy..1/2? reaaally now? i think you could handle a 3/4

anyways, any links for uprights?
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by anarkee
I have to agree with Davey here, after spending sometime this summer trying out EUBs

EUBs sound closer to Fretless electric basses than true uprights. And several, such as the Staggs are not easy to bow because the neck is not curved as an upright.

Palatinos and Staggs (and god help us the horrible Dean EUBs) are really not performance or gig worthy. Along with the two recommended above, NS Designs makes a sweet EUB, but its easily in the 3,000 USD range. I've decided just to ditch the whole idea and try to find a decent deal on a 1/2 upright.

How big is a half upright? I know 3/4 are standard and 4/4 takes someone over 6'0" or something like that...
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
a 3/4 is 71.6 in total size and a 1/2 is 65.7 in. I'm only 5'4" and a 1/2 size is more comfortable to play. I can manage a 3/4 but its a stretch.
^ooo ok. only reason i questioned was because i had a woman last year who was around 5'6" and she managed a 3/4. BUT. its all personal preferance and i didnt realzie your height NOW! onto a seriouse matter. uprights! *googles*
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by bassman10101
^haha yeh i just had them send me a catalogue. and seeing how i have a fretless i dont think ill get an electric. ill probably just get an upright and put a pickup on it.

and anarchy..1/2? reaaally now? i think you could handle a 3/4

anyways, any links for uprights?

not so fast there, tiger. where do you live? go to the local music shops and see what they have. check craigslist. a decent upright bass is going to run $1,500. anything cheaper is typically going to be a piece of junk. i mean, you CAN find deals (such as that meisel for $700 that i still can't afford ) ...

do not buy anything cheap.

try not to buy from some warehouse outlet thing. try to get it from a local store/luthier. it's important to really make an investment with these things.
#DTWD
A Ned Steinberg woudl work mighty fine. But beign to poor or havign no space for an actual upright, I got the Palatino, I love it, takes alot of EQing to get it to sound lovely, or clsoe to an upright, but as an upright lover, I like it (: I would say save up more and go for an NS though.
Try adding more delay.
OP... check out the EUB section at TB...
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?daysprune=14&f=101

Speaking of size...
http://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq/2-SIZES_DOUBLE_BASS_SIZING_FAQ.html
http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?t=630

My classical bass teacher was a woman of ~5'3" in stature. She sat on a stool, with the bass near 45 degrees , and her technique was tight as frog butt. There wasn't anything she couldn't play in the orchestral book. Can't comment on he jazz chops. That's kinda where we went our ways.
-snip-
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
Last edited by learningplayer at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by learningplayer
Doesn't Dean make one?

Read the posts above, someone said its terrible
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Double bass's size are not standard, you could have small 3\4 size which could be about the same size as large 1\2 size, it depends on the maker. If you do have 2-3 grand to spend on one your sorted in america. Have a quick search over talkbass double bass forum and youll know exactly what you can get and you can get some good ones for that price.
You can buy cheaper DB's around a thousand dollers im reckoning but you will need more setting up, the neck carved, a new bridge, new strings, action lowered.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Oct 16, 2009,