Hello everyone,

I recently spend about 3000$ on equipment, all of which I'm very happy with. I already owned a highway one american strat, then purchased a Jackson Dinky DKM2 in snow white with seymore duncans, and a Mesa Express 5:50. I love the sound the jackson produces for music like John Petrucci or Joe Satriani, so I'll be using that for my main rock/shred guitar in standard tuning. I'd like to purchase a cheap, 400-600 dollar (new, cheaper used) guitar designed specifically for metal such as All that Remains, Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, ect, that I can just keep in drop C or something tuning. I don't really know what I should be looking for, as I only recently got into the heavier ****, but maybe an Ibanez or LTD or something like that.

I had an Ibanez RG350DX in mind, not sure if that's what I'll be wanting for that style music however.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I just realised it may be better to have a fixed bridge guitar, since the metal I'll be playing generally doesn't have any need for a floyd, and I can also change the tuning more quickley if necessary.

Also NO BC RICHES lol.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Last edited by kyle100 at Oct 14, 2009,
Well in that case I think you may like a fixed bridge Ibanez. I'm not sure on the models but I know theyve got a few.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Isnt Jackson specialty Metal? That DK2M will do fine, save up the money for later
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
Quote by lizarday
you should check out bc riches guitars

Thanks for the suggestion but I HATE BC rich guitars. I just think they're so unnecesarily bulky and uncomfortable. I prefer guitars with strat, les paul, v, or X shaped bodies. (As long as they aren't BC rich :P)

EDIT: ^ the model I have has Seymore duncans as opposed to EMGs, so it has a great tone for melodic shred as I said, I just can't be arsed changing to tuning every other song I play so I want a cheaper guitar to keep in a dropped tuning.

Also money isn't exactly an issue, so I don't really need to save for anything else.
My Rig:

Guitars:

Amps:
Roland Microcube

Last edited by kyle100 at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by kyle100
Thanks for the suggestion but I HATE BC rich guitars. I just think they're so unnecesarily bulky and uncomfortable. I prefer guitars with strat, les paul, v, or X shaped bodies. (As long as they aren't BC rich :P)

oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by lizarday
you should check out bc riches guitars

Most definately not this. Cheap BC Rich guitars are wired very very ****ty. I've heard of them blowing out multiple amps. Look at esp, i really dont see why your jackson isnt metal enough. Maybe the pickups, Put some EMG pickups in that jackson and you will get a sick metal roar outta that puppy. but i f you want a whole other guitar look esp or schecter and get active pickups if you want high gain.
you could look at the low end ESP LTD's...i dont know how good they are but they're designed for metal and most have a fixed bridge
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Quote by lizarday

I think you mean Kerry King and I don't think he owns them, but I hate his playing style regardless of what he owns.
My Rig:

Guitars:

Amps:
Roland Microcube

Quote by Levi79
Most definately not this. Cheap BC Rich guitars are wired very very ****ty. I've heard of them blowing out multiple amps. Look at esp, i really dont see why your jackson isnt metal enough. Maybe the pickups, Put some EMG pickups in that jackson and you will get a sick metal roar outta that puppy. but i f you want a whole other guitar look esp or schecter and get active pickups if you want high gain.

it hasnt blown out my amp!
Quote by lizarday

Quote by lizarday

Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Last edited by I am wet at Oct 14, 2009,
I'd buy an LTD EC-1000 at Samash that they are clearancing out for $599. I'd buy one, but I'm a sucker for super strats and Jackson necks.
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
Quote by Xherion
I'd buy an LTD EC-1000 at Samash that they are clearancing out for $599. I'd buy one, but I'm a sucker for super strats and Jackson necks.

This. Or finding a used one could save you even more.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
im sorry but... SEARCHBAR!
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Might be worth trying an Agile AL3100 and put EMGs in it.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by I am wet

This just made my night at 4am. Just now. The fact that you took the time to make that makes you a hero.

On another note now that that's off my chest, some Schecters are nice too in and around that price range. But LTD's or Ibanez would work well too. I'm checking out a PRS SE Custom 22 right now, but the only problem is you'd have to replace the tuners, because they're pretty garbage. The fixed bridge model goes for 6-something I believe. Happy shopping!
Quote by SOADriff
im sorry but... SEARCHBAR!

Lol link the ts to some then? Otherwise stfu guitar recommendations are different to each person pending on their situation so I can't see how this cannot justify a thread on which guitar to buy.

And ts look for the Ibanez RGA42FM or Washburn X50 Pro FE
I think Kerry King plays a Jackson. Scott Ian is switching back to a Jackson. Dave Mustaine used Jackson for years. Mark Morton has his own signature model Jackson. AND Jackson has fixed bridge guitars, plus you can ask them to drop in EMG's or whatever before it leaves the shop. I don't think it needs to be custom ordered for something simple like that. It's just that Jackson = shredding in many peoples minds. Peace.
Yesterday is History; Tomorrow is a Mystery; but Today is a Gift; That is why it is called The Present.
Throwing my vote down for the EC-1000 as well. I have the vintage black model and it is pure awesomeness in your hands.

I figure if ESP is good enough for Willie Adler, Alexi Laiho, Jon Donais, Kirk Hammett, James Hetfield, Rob Arnold, AND the god of shredding himself, Max Cavalera :P, it should be good enough for anybody.
Quote by wetrx95
I think Kerry King plays a Jackson.

He plays B.C Rich, he's got his own signature/s? model/s.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by wetrx95
I think Kerry King plays a Jackson. Scott Ian is switching back to a Jackson. Dave Mustaine used Jackson for years. Mark Morton has his own signature model Jackson. AND Jackson has fixed bridge guitars, plus you can ask them to drop in EMG's or whatever before it leaves the shop. I don't think it needs to be custom ordered for something simple like that. It's just that Jackson = shredding in many peoples minds. Peace.

Jeff hannaman is the one that plays the jackson, kerry is with BC rich.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
jesus christ... i havent seen a thread with such stupid answers /opinions in ages

1) ITS KERRY KING
2) JACKSON IS A METAL GUITAR, ONE OF THE GREATS - DAVE MUSTAINE - USE TO USE THEM FOR EXAMPLE
3) KERRY KING DOESN'T OWN BC RICH
4) EMG'S ARE NOT THE ONLY METAL PICKUP... MANY METAL GUITARISTS USE SEYMOUR DUNCANS SUCH AS THE JB-SH4 AND JAZZ COMBO
5) KERRY KING IS JUST ABOUT THE BIGGEST BS RICH FAN EVER - NOT JACKSON
6) THE SEARCH BAR DOES NOT GIVE PERSONAL OPINIONS
7) I OWN A BC RICH AND ITS WIRED FINE - NO PROBLEMS
8) I HAVE EMG'S IN THAT ^ AND THEY AREN'T AS AMAZING AS YOU MAY THINK - SEYMOUR DUNCAN WOULD GIVE 'EM A RUN FOR THEIR MONEY ANY DAY
Last edited by shredder408 at Oct 15, 2009,
Schecters(specifically Hellraiser)Ibanezs work to imo. But it seems if you switched out the pickups on a Jackson( I think they have decent models in your price range) that would fit what your needs the most.
Jackson DKMGT? or ESP MH 401 NT? I'm not sure how the prices convert, but it's worth a look
Quote by kyle100
Hello everyone,

I recently spend about 3000$ on equipment, all of which I'm very happy with. I already owned a highway one american strat, then purchased a Jackson Dinky DKM2 in snow white with seymore duncans, and a Mesa Express 5:50. I love the sound the jackson produces for music like John Petrucci or Joe Satriani, so I'll be using that for my main rock/shred guitar in standard tuning. I'd like to purchase a cheap, 400-600 dollar (new, cheaper used) guitar designed specifically for metal such as All that Remains, Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, ect, that I can just keep in drop C or something tuning. I don't really know what I should be looking for, as I only recently got into the heavier ****, but maybe an Ibanez or LTD or something like that.

I had an Ibanez RG350DX in mind, not sure if that's what I'll be wanting for that style music however.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I just realised it may be better to have a fixed bridge guitar, since the metal I'll be playing generally doesn't have any need for a floyd, and I can also change the tuning more quickley if necessary.

Also NO BC RICHES lol.
Get out of your comfort zone and hunt down a discontinued, Used, MIJ Ibanez RG7621, which should be in your price range.

Quote by Ikonoklast
I wish my parents would spend $3000 on me.

Haha I wish my parents made that kind of money. I make way more than my mom and a little less than my dad. I've bought everything I currently own all by myself. Not one peice of gear was given to me or paid for me. It's called a job buddy, and a year of savings. You should learn how to do it sometime.

Okay so browsing kijiji today I found a used ESP/LTD M-400 selling for 500$. Stock everything. I've read reviews everywhere and watched sound videos of it on youtube and it sounds like a decent enough guitar. Anyone have any personal experience with this guitar? Is it as good as I think it is?
My Rig:

Guitars:

Amps:
Roland Microcube

d00d you can use your DK2m for metal w/ the right amp.

and IMO you just wasted your money on the crappy Express....
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
d00d you can use your DK2m for metal w/ the right amp.

and IMO you just wasted your money on the crappy Express....

I know I can use the jackson for metal, as I said about 4 times however I'm keeping it in standard tuning because I like the sound it makes for melodic shred/fusion type of stuff. Also don't diss the Express it's one of the most versatile amps I've ever played. I love it.
My Rig:

Guitars:

Amps:
Roland Microcube

Quote by Levi79

you dont need to waste money on active pick ups to get high gain. so pointless.

if you arent trying to spend too much why not look at epis? a bunch of metal bands shred gibson and epis for metal. you dont need a specific brand to play metal obviously. if you wanted to you could take an epi dot and down tune it and still be able to get some solid metal sounds out of it. just go try out a bunch of different guitars and see what you like the best for the price.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
You can get a Rondo for less than $150...upgrade the pups and beat the hell out of it. You can always put the pups in another guitar in the future. Some of the Rondos have great specs.

My Douglas V kicks azz. I put BKP's in it.

# Lightweight mahoganny body - Only 8 lbs
# Diecast tuners with 12-1 ratio
# Tune-o-Matic bridge with string through body
# EMG HZ Humbucker pickups for reduced noise.
# 22 fret maple set neck with rosewood fingerboard and shark inlays
# One volume and one tone with 3 way pickup selector swtich

$139

I have a 10 yr old lp-100 i got a a pawn shop. One of the best guitars I've ever played. I just dont have legendary lp sustain. I guess its one in a million. Of all my guitars I would miss this one the most if something happened. You can get a great affordable guitar.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Oct 15, 2009,
OK, I'm going to say a used Schecter ATX Blackjack is your best option... Blackouts, Mahogany, optional OFR... nice guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.