Hey guys, I have a floyd rose guitar that is currently set up for standard tuning with 10 gauge strings. If I tuned down 1/2 step and remain there, will the setup be ruined? Would I require a new set up?
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Yes-though if you moved up a string gauge (AKA to 11's), you probably would have an easier time.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You would probably need to tighten the screws in the back and adjust your intonation a little bit. Not too much of a problem. You can check on how to do that stuff in the set up guide here on this site.

Here is a link: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

It really isn't a difficult task, but it can be very tedious work.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
I do it pretty often. What I do is set it up whit the bridge a little above the body when in standard (just barely) and it'll only be a little below when half step down. And I change one of the springs to where it's angled.
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
I love not having to re-type things... Here is how you change tunings with a Floyd.
Quote by ME

Potentially Large post Alert.

Whenever you go to a lower tuning, you will need to remove tension from the spring in the back, whenever you go to a higher tension you will need to add tension.

Here's why. In order for the Floating trem to work, (Stay in tune, no matter what.) The tension of the springs, needs to equal the tension of the strings, because when they are equal, you can do whatever you want with the trem, and it will always come back to the same spot, thus, it stays in tune. The simplest way to see if their tensions are equal is this: The tensions are equal when the bridge is parallel to the body.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a step by step "How to Change Floating trems Tuning"...

1. Unlock the first nut clamp. (The one holding the lowest {in pitch} String).

2. Now, Tune that Lowest (in pitch) string to whatever it needs to be (i.e. D, C#, Bb, whatever. {Don't worry about the other strings right now.}) Now depending on whatever tuning you are already in you will need to add or remove tension from the springs. ( If you're going from a higher to lower tuning, you'll need to remove tension. Lower to Higher, Add It.)

(Be sure that re-lock the nut clamp every time you tune with the Main tuners.)

3. Now, when you add/remove tension from the springs, it will also change the tuning of the string. So you will need to keep re-tuning/re-adjusting until the bridge is parallel with the body, and that first string stays in tune.

4. Once the first string is in tune, move on to the next. Now Repeat that process with all the strings, until the guitar stays in tune, and the bridge remains parallel to the body.

It'll be a little (or alot) frustrating the first few times you do it, but don't give up. The more times you do it, the easier it'll get.

You should also read the first few posts of this thread . It'll help.

I can answer any more questions you have too.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by yellowshirtguy
You would probably need to tighten the screws in the back and adjust your intonation a little bit. Not too much of a problem. You can check on how to do that stuff in the set up guide here on this site.

Here is a link: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

It really isn't a difficult task, but it can be very tedious work.

Nearly correct but if the TS is going flat in tuning than the bridge will sink into the body and the screws in the back will therefore need to be loosened.