Page 1 of 2
I don't care if this question has been asked/done before. I want to know you, as guitar players, if you were given the option or if you had a job/just got a job would you ever consider saving up for a vintage instrument?

Now, I know the likely arguments will be "Modern guitars are better." or "The prices are outrageous." While I agree with the second, there are alternatives to getting vintage guitars cheaper.

So state your reason and explain. I really want a true explanation of why or why not you would want to buy one, or if there is a particular model you would want etc. I'm speaking of mainly Fender and Gibson, as those are usually the first choices when it comes to those. So any vintage model from those two companies.

If I had the option, I'd like to own a 1954 strat, as I plan to hopefully save up for one once I get this job at my local grocery store. I want one not only for the playability (The one I'm looking at if its still there months later, is missing parts) but just to own a piece of history. More particularly, I'd like to own one that has non original parts, as in tone knobs, pickup covers, and maybe the pickups/pickguard. Which would significantly lower the price and if I bought it already modded I'd most likely mod it enough to fit my needs (Reradius, refret, maybe pickup change if the pickups were already exchanged).

For anyone who would want a Gibson LP from '59 but obviously doesn't have the money. There are cheaper alternatives, you can have a conversion LP, which for example is a 1956 LP 'converted' to 1959 specs and some of them even have real 1959 pickups used during that time.

So, your answers?
If by "vintage" you mean those old worn out beaten up 4000$ peices of wood I see hanging up on the wall with the nice guitars, no I would never purchase one over another guitar.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
I would love a 1954 Gibson Les Paul Custom, (it had 2 p90s!!!)
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by kyle100
If by "vintage" you mean those old worn out beaten up 4000$ peices of wood I see hanging up on the wall with the nice guitars, no I would never purchase one over another guitar.

I mean vintage as in atleast 40 years or older. As in, pre-CBS strats made from 1954-1964.
No.
They're great to look at, but with today's options, I can probably get a guitar FAR better than any Gibson or Fender could offer.

If I had plenty of money, and already owned a guitar that fits me, then sure, I might.

Otherwise, I don't see the point.
It is nice to have the bragging rights though...
Quote by FallsDownStairs
I mean vintage as in atleast 40 years or older. As in, pre-CBS strats made from 1954-1964.

Hence, beat up worn out 4000$ peices of wood.

I personally don't see the appeal in them at all, especially at that price range. I'd much prefer a brand new glossy ibanez prestige or something like that.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
unless i'm wealthy, then no. there's no real point of buying a vintage strat or something besides owning a piece of history. i could find a guitar that plays and sounds exactly how i want for for a fifth of the price of an all original vintage fender or gibson and play that.
Quote by kyle100
Hence, beat up worn out 4000$ peices of wood.

I personally don't see the appeal in them at all, especially at that price range. I'd much prefer a brand new glossy ibanez prestige or something like that.

Well, they're not $4,000. Usually over the $15,000 margin or more if its all original.

The appeal to them aside from collecting, is that when it came to Fender mainly, they aren't made like that anymore. The guitars were hand made and not by machine and they were finished in true nitro, unlike the models today that claim nitro but really is just nitro over poly.

But I see where you're coming from.

Keep the answers comin guys.
No, I wouldnt buy a vintage guitar as in 50s or 60s, but I would definantly go for like a 70's Ibanez LP or an 80s model Kramer. Not much besides that.
it really depends on the guitar to me. i would love a 1972-1974 Fender Tele Deluxe. but i couldn't really justify the $3000 price tag unless i hit the lottery or something. until then i'll spend my money on upgrading modern stuff.

and in all honesty there's really nothing besides the Tele Deluxe that i'd like to buy as a vintage instrument. although my uncle had an old 80's Rickenbacker he let me keep and play overnight one time. that thing was absolutely amazing. but 30 years old isn't that vintage, and i could NEVER justify the $10,000 price tag it had.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Fender never made guitars by hand, so that arguments pointless.

No I wouldn't ever buy a vintage instrument. I just don't see the point in shelling out top dollar for an inferior instrument. Not only that but you can't even mod it to make it better because it devalues it.
Quote by soundjam

No I wouldn't ever buy a vintage instrument. I just don't see the point in shelling out top dollar for an inferior instrument. Not only that but you can't even mod it to make it better because it devalues it.

Proof?

Depends on how you define handmade. They were 'handmade' more back then than now.
Last edited by FallsDownStairs at Oct 14, 2009,
I would love a 1906 Les Paul Custom, but thats not realistic. That guitar is $100000+. PLus I could buy one for a fraction of that price. There is probably only one vintage guitar I would buy and it would be an original Les Paul Deluxe model, from between the years of 1968 and 1982. More reasonably priced vintage guitar. Any other vintage guitar is mainly just a piece of history.
I'd only like a standard 60's strat for the electronics, and I could easily get those second hand, or from boutique dealers.

That said, there are specific quirks to some older guitars that they don't really do anymore, but you can get a custom shop for that, like curvier necks or specific tuners.
Quote by SupersonicJSX
I would love a 1906 Les Paul Custom.

Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I think he means 1960.

Tough the earliest electric guitars do have a unique sound, I don't find it worth the 20000 to drop on an original rickenbacker.
I started off as a cellist. I have a modern pro-quality cello.

My last instructor had one that was 400+ years old. It weighed less, projected MUCH more sound energy, and sounded sweeter than mine ever did.

If I could find a vintage guitar analogous to that cello, with a particularly nice sound, a unique feel, or maybe had some kind of historical significance, then there is no question that I'd buy it if I had the $$$.

Otherwise, maybe, maybe not. It might be kind of cool to have an early ES-335 or something that simply looked great, but I wouldn't do it for the bragging rights.

Funnily enough, I'm constantly reading about pros who have such instruments who either sell them off after a time (like Steve Howe) or only play them occasionally and don't take them on the road, instead taking new copies of their older axes (like some of the guys in Lynard Skynard).
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by FallsDownStairs
I don't care if this question has been asked/done before. I want to know you, as guitar players, if you were given the option or if you had a job/just got a job would you ever consider saving up for a vintage instrument?

Now, I know the likely arguments will be "Modern guitars are better." or "The prices are outrageous." While I agree with the second, there are alternatives to getting vintage guitars cheaper.

So state your reason and explain. I really want a true explanation of why or why not you would want to buy one, or if there is a particular model you would want etc. I'm speaking of mainly Fender and Gibson, as those are usually the first choices when it comes to those. So any vintage model from those two companies.

If I had the option, I'd like to own a 1954 strat, as I plan to hopefully save up for one once I get this job at my local grocery store. I want one not only for the playability (The one I'm looking at if its still there months later, is missing parts) but just to own a piece of history. More particularly, I'd like to own one that has non original parts, as in tone knobs, pickup covers, and maybe the pickups/pickguard. Which would significantly lower the price and if I bought it already modded I'd most likely mod it enough to fit my needs (Reradius, refret, maybe pickup change if the pickups were already exchanged).

For anyone who would want a Gibson LP from '59 but obviously doesn't have the money. There are cheaper alternatives, you can have a conversion LP, which for example is a 1956 LP 'converted' to 1959 specs and some of them even have real 1959 pickups used during that time.

So, your answers?
I've played a few conversions, both '54 conversions, one to '59, one to '57, one with real PAFs, one with a PAF and an early patent number (essentially a PAF), vintage parts and everything. In a way I guess I see the purpose, if you're buying the guitar to play not to collect, but I would have an awfully hard time stripping, re-routing, and refinishing a vintage les paul.

They were splendid guitars though, felt completely different from any modern les paul I've ever played, including any relic'ed historics or similar. You could just pick it up and know that it sounded good before even strumming a chord.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 15, 2009,
Yes. Because if I could afford one I would've saved for a 51' Broadcaster or a 59' Les Paul, both considered amongst the finest of their model and the finest of guitars.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by soundjam

thats not true at all. actually depending on when the guitar was made the body contours could be deeper. if it were a busy season (fall before christmas) the contours would be light because they'd be churning out guitars. if it was a slow season (spring or summer) the contours would be more heavily sanded because there would be fewer guitars being made. thats why some people disagree on what guitar bodies fit what eras.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Yep, sure would. If I had the kind of money that let me throw a lot of it at guitars, then I'd be swimming in them.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I wouldn't really play it. I'd be too scared to break it.

Plus, if I wanted eye candy, I could just buy a VOS Gibson or something. Argubly cheaper, and yeah.

So no, probably not.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I once saw a 1961 Fender strat, three colour sunburst, rosewood fretboard, my "dream" guitar kinda.
£2000, the price that an Ibanez JEM has now gone up to (seriously pissed off about this).
If I'm ever making a decent amount of cash and I have about this to spend, I can easily justify buying vintage.
I also wouldn't be the type to hang it on a wall and never touch it, though I would be more careful with it than other guitars.
I want vintage for 2 reasons;

1. i really like the way vintage guitars sound and play. there is no if ands or buts about it. they sound good.

2. thats history. having something that helped shaped music the way it is today is something i really would like to own.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
I personally wouldn't because the price isn't justified for me. I can find what I want in a guitar for a much cheaper price. If I had thousands of dollars in my pocket with no obligations, I probably still wouldn't buy it since there would be other stuff that I would enjoy more. If I'm spending the most I've ever spent on a guitar. It should be my #1 or at least close. But a Gibson or Fender will never be that, especially vintage.
If nothing else, a vintage guitar could be considered a work of functional art, worthy of hanging on prominent display in your house, even if you don't consider yourself worthy or you're too afraid to play it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
If nothing else, a vintage guitar could be considered a work of functional art, worthy of hanging on prominent display in your house, even if you don't consider yourself worthy or you're too afraid to play it.

im with you man. id play them for sure. id baby the hell out of them though haha.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Owning a nice vintage fender is kinda a little dream of mine.
Preferably a '62.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Definitely. I'm out of uni for a year and am going to be working full time so I'm going to have some money to spare. I plan on buying at least one vintage guitar, as it's my only oppurtunity in the next few years. I'm thinking either:

Gibson SG Junior,
Gibson LP Junior,
Fender Starcaster (mmm) or
Fender '72 Custom.

Any of those would cure my hunger for vintage goods. At the moment, the oldest guitar I own is an 85/86 MiJ Tele, which is sexy.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I would if i could afford it, there's just something about old guitars
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
Quote by al112987
I've played a few conversions, both '54 conversions, one to '59, one to '57, one with real PAFs, one with a PAF and an early patent number (essentially a PAF), vintage parts and everything. In a way I guess I see the purpose, if you're buying the guitar to play not to collect, but I would have an awfully hard time stripping, re-routing, and refinishing a vintage les paul.

They were splendid guitars though, felt completely different from any modern les paul I've ever played, including any relic'ed historics or similar. You could just pick it up and know that it sounded good before even strumming a chord.

A lot of the conversions I've played were converted back in the 50s or 60s, before the huge price hike in vintage guitars. Probably why they had no problem doing it.

The thing with relic'd guitars is almost all of them are done horribly, especially Fender. I've seen some real good luthiers relic their strat copies and everything, but most of Fender's just don't appeal to me, along with just having something artificially aged doesn't suit me.
I'm currently seriously thinking about putting down a deposit on a 1954 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, and there is a '68 Firebird sitting here which I've got my eye on too. I'm happy to buy a 'vintage' guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I would buy a guitar with a set of Fender Wide Range Pickups. It is literally impossible to make now. CuNiFe, the magnet used is now only made for special purposes, but at the time, was available.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by FallsDownStairs
If I had the scratch, I'll consider that a silly question.

Good Luck to me finding a '59 Gibson LP from 1959 at a price i can afford.

I have a kind of Vintage instrument
It's only 23 years old, though. IMO, it's amazing.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
I'm more interested in buying new guitars, I don't even like to get used ones.

So, I wouldn't buy vintage guitars, possibly with the exception of a Gibson Moderne.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
If i was loaded yes, but i wouldnt save up for ages, jut to get one if thats what you mean
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Sure I would, I'd love to buy a vintage Mosrite guitar. They are relatively cheap in the Vintage market for one in good shape. Why buy vintage when I could buy new? There are lots of models that aren't made anymore and they don't make them like they used to. It is also nice to have one made while Semie Moseley, Founder of Mosrite was alive.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Oct 15, 2009,
One day when everything else is taken care of I'll buy a vintage guitar. Of course by then I guess my guitars will be vintage so maybe I'll get confused in my old age and buy a vintage 2009 MIA Strat.

I do love looking at them though. A lot of times I'll go to ebay type in whatever I want to see and sort by highest price to look at all the beauties.
Les Paul Traditional '08
Fender American Strat '99
Martin D16
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
535 Crybaby-Whammy-Small Clone-DD7 Delay

"I have a very high EQ--something like 3,000 hertz. If I think too hard, my brain hertz." Harrison
Page 1 of 2