hey whats up. i was wondering if i could possibly get some tips on how to improve my playing. ..whenever im trying to get better im usually just trying to learn songs that are harder than things i can play because i feel like if i learn them eventually that i will get better. it has been working but now that im playing faster heavier music i feel like im very sloppy and basically just not pulling it off the way i want it to come out. can anyone help me out
Your current approach is good. Try warm up exercises, like chromatic scales with a metronome to improve your speed and picking.
keep practicing, eventually you'll get the song/technique down. learn exercises if you want to improve faster
play slow and accurate first and then as a side effect of being accurate you'l lstart to play faster... also, if you don't already, just simply relax your fingers instead of lifting them up. If you're palying with distortion... or any type of music you'll also want to make sure you are muting the strings correctly.

Most of the unwanted noise comes from unwanted strings being hit and also the pull off sound if you're quickly taking your finger's off the strings to move them.
...and just practice practice practice! If you're not already, you're going to need to be patient and develop lots of concentration because although you may feel you're reaching a plateau, you're really reaching a more difficult level of playing that requires more effort.
Keep doing what you're doing, except spend more time working on it slowed down getting it really tight before speeding it up.
If you mess up consistently on something, always be analyzing why and exactly when. Then take that specific part and isolate on it, or come up with an exercise that specifically targets the technique that's giving you trouble.
Quote by D.I.R.T.
play slow and accurate first and then as a side effect of being accurate you'l lstart to play faster... also, if you don't already, just simply relax your fingers instead of lifting them up. If you're palying with distortion... or any type of music you'll also want to make sure you are muting the strings correctly.

Most of the unwanted noise comes from unwanted strings being hit and also the pull off sound if you're quickly taking your finger's off the strings to move them.
+1