Hey guys, lately I've noticed that during band practice the higher notes I play really aren't cutting through like they should, anything on the D and G strings just seems to fade into the mix.
It's not dead strings as this problem has been pretty ongoing since I got the bass and I've got the mids and highs cranked pretty high on both the amps I use.
The bass is a Spector Euro5 that I purchased second-hand and the amps are both Behringers; a BX300 (30 watt that I use for practice) and a BX4500X with a 210 and a 115 cab that is used for band practise and gigs.
I also play an Ibanez SR505 and don't have any problems cutting through with that.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Could be the pickups. Maybe try adjusting the height on the higher strings?
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
you pick too hard overall.
Edit. i read it wrong... sorry i dont know whats wrong.
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
Last edited by selibucaz at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by enselmis
Just use the ibanez?

I don't really have the time to tune a whole step down inbetween songs at gigs and I prefer the feel of my Spector anyway.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I also suggest boosting high mids. you could get an eq pedal to help with this. Also, I find that actually boosting my lows helps all my notes cut through...but i use a tube amp and tube tone can be a bit different and have weird quirks. try it and maybe it'll work maybe it won't.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Try raising your pickups closer to those strings. You could also try playing in a different spot, where you can dig into the strings a little more. The height change should help tho.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
Try raising your pickups closer to those strings. You could also try playing in a different spot, where you can dig into the strings a little more. The height change should help tho.

Not to seem daft but they don't seem to be raising? Aren't they supposed to raise/lower when you tighten/loosen the screws? My screws just unscrew and come out.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Not to seem daft but they don't seem to be raising? Aren't they supposed to raise/lower when you tighten/loosen the screws? My screws just unscrew and come out.

I had this on one of my basses. I took the pickup out of the socket(be careful not to pull any wires, but they should be long enough for this) and put a piece of felt underneath them. If you just wanted to raise one side you'd simply put a piece of felt(or any cloth for that matter) underneath on side and screw the pickup back in. If you want it raised a bit more either add another piece of cloth or fold the one that's already in there.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by consecutive e
the amps are both Behringers; a BX300 (30 watt that I use for practice) and a BX4500X

I found your problem
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
I found your problem

He only has the problem with one bass. So that is not the entire problem....although it may contribute.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
crappy as Behringer may be, the problem is certainly fixed in the pickups. give the E string side 2 good clockwise turns.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
crappy as Behringer may be, the problem is certainly fixed in the pickups. give the E string side 2 good clockwise turns.

can't believe i didn't think of this. the bass i had that wasn't adjustable was a cheap Dean bass. I should expect better from a Spector.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
How far do you guys think the pickup should be away from the string? and correct me if I'm wrong is it true that the neck pickup should be lower than the bridge or is this rule just for guitars?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
How far do you guys think the pickup should be away from the string? and correct me if I'm wrong is it true that the neck pickup should be lower than the bridge or is this rule just for guitars?

There are no rules, just mess with them until it sounds good.
Quote by consecutive e

The same principal applies, but it's much less fussed-over.
Nope, no sig here.