i feel like a total idiot here.. but i have a 6505+ yeah, and i was wondering. at the back of my amp there are 4 tubes visible... are they power or preamp tubes? also, where are the other tubes that arent visible.. coz theres like 10 or something in total
The large visible ones are power tubes. if you look inside the amp you should see a bunch of metal cylinders these are caps on top of your preamp tubes. I'm not sure why they're there...but the main function i see is holding them in place.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
To answer Revelation's question - the covers on preamp tubes (in theory) prevent interference from outside sources such as radio waves, wifi signals, etc. I've never had interference issues like that, even with super high gain amps.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Why do you want to do that?

You'll get your chance soon enough to dealing with new tubes. If you just got this thing, I'd run with what you have for now instead of making a rush decision. Do some more research and also figure out exactly what you want to change about your tone.

Tung Sols are brighter sounding tubes than say JJs or Mullards.

Also, when you are ready send an email to Doug at dougstubes.com. He'll set you strait.

I leave my preamp tube casings off as I don't think they do anything but yes they are supposed to help block interference.

Power tubes are pulled strait out, as opposed to unscrewing. Same with preamp tubes.
they dont want to come out... i don't wanna force them. if i break em im f****d good and proper lol
coz i want to look inside my amp, and i want to change my preamp tubes around in different spots coz im getting excess preamp noise, someone told me if you swap around what pos there in it can help
OK. yeah, preamp tubes - no problem. I thought you meant power tubes.

Don't go pulling on power tubes unless you have a good reason. You are liable to do damage to the tube, tube pins or tube socket. They can be hard to reseat too sometimes.

I don't own a 6505 but if you have to get some power tubes out to get to the preamp tubes you may want to either pull the chassis out or pull as few things out as necessary.

Do the preamp tube test if you are trying to find a overly microphonic preamp tube.

I wrote this for the Valveking thread but it may help you as the concepts are the same.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16508706&postcount=7

good luck

Edit: you may have to 'jiggle slightly' back and forth in a loosening fashion to get tubes out. Don't twist.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 15, 2009,
cheers mate... one problem.. i have no idea where my preamp tubes are.. theres my four power tubes and two black boxes either side... jeez im a dumb ass lol
Did you delete your other thread just now? Good thing.

I was just posting in there and then boom...gone. Only 1 thread per topic. Anyway my response in that thread is below.

As far as your preamp tubes, they are underneath those aluminum cylinders. Can you not find those? Those boxes on either end are transformers. Don't mess with those. You may have to slide your chassis out to reach the preamp tubes.

-------------------------

What is that second pic of? Is that a power tube? It looks like you have a deep scratch on the outside of the tube is that what that is? That could be dangerous.

My suggestion is to follow the guidelines I gave you in your other thread. Repost your pictures over there and then delete this thread.

ALso, get some better pictures of that scratch or whatever it is.

Push down on the metal clips with one hand and pull strait up on the tube with your other hand and jiggle slightly back and forth if you have too. It would be pretty hard to break a tube with your hand but it has happened before. It is easy to bend a pin though so be careful there.

If you have like a rubber jar opener thingy - those work well to grab the tube real well.

Also, use the IMG tag feature in imageshack and your pics will show up right in your post.

I'm going to bed. Good luck.
i think the pre amp tubes are hidden behind a plate on the head versions.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
i think the pre amp tubes are hidden behind a plate on the head versions.

This.

The preamp tubes aren't visible on the head version. Right hand side of the chassis, there is a removable plate, unscrew it and the preamps are in there:

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 15, 2009,
Quote by jamesy_pwd
how do i get the chassis out?

You don't need to pull it out... unscrew the screws on the back panel of the amp where it says Peavey/CAUTION and the plate should come off exposing them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 15, 2009,
OOOHHH thanks!! i got it!. i love you forever lol. is it safe to keep the cover off and turn the amp on to see if there all firing properly?
Quote by jamesy_pwd
OOOHHH thanks!! i got it!. i love you forever lol. is it safe to keep the cover off and turn the amp on to see if there all firing properly?

No problemo

It should be fine, I think that's there more just to protect them when you're moving it. I don't see how it could really serve much of a functional purpose
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com