Before I start, some might give up seeing the long text coming and I understand that. If you're not going to help, I'll ask you to just leave.

Basicly, I started studying electronics on Marsh 9th. But it's not a "regular" class. They call it "individualised learning". Basicly, the class is on the computer, and we each go at our own rythmn. Of course, there is a teacher to answer our questions and all.

Now, electronics being a passion of mine, and focused as I am; I never spent a minute on facebook or whatever. I arrive at school, I do what I'm supposed to do and it's great. Now the problem; I arrived to a point where teachers told me to not go any further, because they want to do the Power supply part like a regular class, because it's pretty much the most important part about electronics.

I do not mind this at all, in fact I think it's a great idea. But here's where it gets complicated; I really ain't that advanced, it's the others that are late, VERY late. Now I'm stuck to waiting for them to catch up. But the fact is that others usually pass their time on Facebook or whatever. It's not even joke; two of them in particular spend about... 0 minutes a day on electronics. ALL they do is Youtube, facebok, etc. And this isn't even exagerating; there's this guy in particular that's hasn't been doing anything for 2 months(I mean, NOTHING, it's not a joke, N-O-T-H-I-N-G, noone has seen him work since the start of august, seriously!).

The teachers are fully aware of this, and are doing their best to solve the problem. Things have started to change a bit(altho I've been complaining for months), but it seems like those people are still wasting their time. If I can make a realistic approximation; it should take them about a month of SERIOUS working before they catch up to me. Now I do not have a real problem with them doing nothing; the real problem is that the only person that's being affected is myself.

The main purpose of this way of learning is to go at your own pace. Heck, you could graduate months before others if you're a fast learner, and serious enough. I spent a lot of time studying at home as a hobby because I love electronics(I can't count the amount of days where I came back from school and kept working until I go to bed). I was so motivated and all, and now I'm basicly being told "Well we're sorry, but you'll have to wait for others to catch up.". So all the time and efforts I put into it are going down the drain because I have to wait for lazy people to catch up. In the end, who's the only one penalised? I am.

Now I can't blame the teachers; they are really GREAT teachers, it's just they have so much stuff to handle that they can't waste their time telling people to work(they never have a minute for themselves; all they do is go help students who have questions). I have been waiting for a while for things to change, but they do not change. I am even starting to lose the motivation I had and it's really killing me. It took me 6 years before I even had a clue what I wanted to do in life. When I found out the electronics world, I had more motivation then I've ever had in my whole life. I wasted 6 years of my life after high school, and now that I started feeling good about myself, this happens. I'm not even ashamed to admit it; I nearly bursted out crying during class because I was so damm pissed off about what's going on. I'm even starting to think about just giving up and going to another school to start back from scratch.

Finally, something I didn't mention yet; the people that are wasting their time are actually my friends. I would just go and see the administration to tell them to kick em out or something, but that'd make me feel bad. They're nice people and I really love hanging out with them, and I'd hate to have them kicked out or something.

So I'm asking the Pit what they think I should do. Here are my current options;

-Go and have a SERIOUS talk with my teachers about what's going on and how I feel about it.
-Talk about it with the responsible persons, but being the shy guy I am, that'd be hard. I have a VERY hard time just speaking with my family, and friends are even worst.
-Go straight to the administration to tell them everything that's going on. No holding back, no caring about others being kicked out, friends or not.

So what do you guys think? What does the Pit think I should do in such a situation?

Edit: I thought I'd this info so you guys can understand what I mean. I'm now at the middle of the 8th part of the class. People that are late JUST finished the 4th part of it. You get the idea.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Oct 15, 2009,
Quote by catalan123
Marsh?

f'ck you're immature its obvious he meant to write
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
That really sucks. If you're paying for this education, can you not say to one of your teachers that it will take a few weeks for people to catch up. You feel it's a waste of your time (and money) to be attending the classes while being unable to move on.
Ask him if it's possible for him to teach just you/anybody else ready to move on and then do it again for the people who are really far behind.
rawr
^beautiful..

edit: damnit jack...
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Talk it out with your teachers one more time, if they're still going "we're trying to rectify the problem" then go straight to admin. Friends or not, it's not fair on you and the rest of the class if they're just cocking about the entire time.

And don't you dare switch schools, this is a problem with a couple of individuals that can be sorted out without such drastic measures
Can the teachers not set a date where they'll work on the section with everyone, regardless of whether or not the other people are at the same point or not?

I don't know if this will work or not as I dunno whether it's all cumulative, but that's just my 2 cents. Either that or maybe talk the teacher into going over some of it with you early so you can move on to the next part. If neither of these work then definitely go to the admin, it sounds like they're bullshitting you.
The big problem is that the teachers are not responsible at all for what's going on. They are working really hard to make things better; trust me they are.

What I didn't mention is that there are other problems that adds to it. The main one is that the website we go on to learn has quite a few flaws; pages mysteriously disappearing, stuff that's badly explained, other stuff that's just left out, mistakes, etc. The teachers are really working hard to solve everything, but there's just so much of it, it can't be done overnight.

So all of this adds up, and they have so much on their shoulders. A teacher that has being teaching the same class for years can accomodate and all; but when they are unprepared to what's happening, they can't do much other then do their best.

Like I've said things have started to change; they split the group in two(happened this week), so now it's easier to get help from a teacher. But I still have a lot of doubts. My current plan is to wait a week, see if things get better at all. If they don't I'll seriously talk with my teachers, and will probably talk with the other students. Then, if things don't get better, it's straight to the direction.

And to the ones pointing out the typo in March, you really spent the time reading just to correct a friggin typo? No godamm comments. To the others, thanks a lot for the feedback, it's really appreciated!

Edit: I am indeed paying, but it's only 97$ for the WHOLE thing. Now I know that's VERY cheap, but it doesn't mean the program is bad. As an indicative title, people who graduated from this same program have as much chances to get a certain job as engineers do, no kidding. And that's not just something they tell us; it's something that has been observed throughout the years by our teachers.

Edit 2: Someone would have to understand the school system here. It's what they call in french a DEP(Professionnal studies diploma). It's basicly the same as CEGEP here, the only difference is that you don't have french, english, philosophy classes; it's ONLY what you're studying in.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Oct 15, 2009,
show them this thread. theyll realise how pissed you are and you wont need to have an awkward conversation.
Quote by Ikey
show them this thread. theyll realise how pissed you are and you wont need to have an awkward conversation.

Could work if they understood english, but I fear that's not the case for most of them. Anyways it will probably just end up with me getting really pissed off at them. And they are not stupid; they know that they're wasting their time, in fact they are fully aware of it. Could only wake them up.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Yeah i went through this kind of stuff, just not with electronic bis. You'd get all your stuff done while others are holding you back.

I think you should talk to the principal, admin whatever and let them know your side of the story and whats happening. At least you'll know they will do something about it, and if they don't remind them. Otherwise your going to get to a point where you can't be bothered to try anymore.
Ask for the lesson on power supply in your own time, i'm sure the teachers should understand you really want to go forward.
lol u soand liak a neard

EDIT: Don't do the second one. They obviously don't care about the subject, don't intend to try hard in it, and I really can't imagine them changing because of anything you say to them. Talk to the teachers, and if nothing happens, to the administration.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Oct 15, 2009,
Really its not good on the teachers, program, or school with that going on. There should be deadlines that should have to be met or you fail. It ends up people like you who get screwed and underachievers still get therir degree. I would go to Admin no holding back, Its not fair to you or any future students to have to put up with a slow class thats the other students problems. Your friends dont have to know what you said either.
I think you should go to a better school where the students are more aspiring.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I think you should go to a better school where the students are more aspiring.

I disagree. I think the kids who aren't doing their work need a good kick up the ass and the teachers need to learn to set work for them - Get this done before the end of the lesson..

I think the Admin staff should be able to accomplish that.
Quote by ShallowEndings
I disagree. I think the kids who aren't doing their work need a good kick up the ass and the teachers need to learn to set work for them - Get this done before the end of the lesson..

I think the Admin staff should be able to accomplish that.

Wow you think it's that simple, do you?

Anyways, TS, as I was saying: go to a better school.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Wow you think it's that simple, do you?

No, i never said it was that simple.

What i'm saying is he has to tell someone about it, otherwise his falling into a hole. Why not tell someone at the top of the chain. He has to stand up for himself. If your in a position like he is would you voice up and have your say or run off like a bitch?

If nothing is happening after he tells them, than i guess he could change schools or put up with it , not that he would get far with either assuming he'd have to start again to the point of where that other class is up to, and if they even run the class.
Quote by Spike6sic6
it's not a "regular" class. They call it "individualised learning". Basicly, the class is on the computer, and we each go at our own rythmn. Of course, there is a teacher to answer our questions and all.
Fine. You go at your own pace.

Quote by Spike6sic6
Now the problem; I arrived to a point where teachers told me to not go any further, because they want to do the Power supply part like a regular class, because it's pretty much the most important part about electronics.
Fine. You need to adapt to changes. Nothing wrong yet.

Quote by Spike6sic6
I do not mind this at all, in fact I think it's a great idea. But here's where it gets complicated; I really ain't that advanced, it's the others that are late, VERY late. Now I'm stuck to waiting for them to catch up.
No, this is just plain stupid. There is no reason for you to sit at a stand-still waiting for others to catch up. If anything you should be either studying ahead on the PS portion and teaching that to others when the rest of the class is ready (teaching improves your own knowledge ten-fold) or working on other areas to continue at your own advanced pace.

Quote by Spike6sic6
So I'm asking the Pit what they think I should do. Here are my current options;

-Go and have a SERIOUS talk with my teachers about what's going on and how I feel about it.
-Talk about it with the responsible persons, but being the shy guy I am, that'd be hard. I have a VERY hard time just speaking with my family, and friends are even worst.
-Go straight to the administration to tell them everything that's going on. No holding back, no caring about others being kicked out, friends or not.
Admin is your LAST resort, not your first. Always deal with things at the appropriate level before escalating.

The other students are NOT part of your chain. What they do is between them and the teachers. Stay the hell out of that.

Your teachers are responsible to enable your progress. If they are impeding it, they need to find a way that WILL enable you to progress. If and ONLY if they are made aware of the problem and fail to satisfactorily accommodate your needs should you take this anywhere else but to them. And the only direction to go in that case, would be up (Admin). Not sideways. (other students)
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by ShallowEndings
No, i never said it was that simple.

What i'm saying is he has to tell someone about it, otherwise his falling into a hole. Why not tell someone at the top of the chain. He has to stand up for himself. If your in a position like he is would you voice up and have your say or run off like a bitch?

If nothing is happening after he tells them, than i guess he could change schools or put up with it , not that he would get far with either assuming he'd have to start again to the point of where that other class is up to, and if they even run the class.

So he tells them. Then what happens? Is it going to be like in the movies? A sequence of events perfectly falling into place and he gets what he wants in the next scene?

Bureaucracy is always slow, and in schools it's ineffective most of the time. A status quo settles...often one of mediocrity, and that takes firm root. So rather than being in that environment...why not just be in a better one? It's not about standing up for yourself, it's about taking the most efficient action.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
So he tells them. Then what happens? Is it going to be like in the movies? A sequence of events perfectly falling into place and he gets what he wants in the next scene?

Bureaucracy is always slow, and in schools it's ineffective most of the time. A status quo settles...often one of mediocrity, and that takes firm root. So rather than being in that environment...why not just be in a better one? It's not about standing up for yourself, it's about taking the most efficient action.

Your not getting what i meant so there isn't a point of arguing.

There is no way to know unless he tells someone about it, until than you can make up all the predictions you want. If nothing happens than obviously the school system there is ****ed.

Schools in Australia aren't slow, if you have something to say than the matter should be investigated straight away. Obviously if its like that in America or wherever you live than something needs to be done in your own education program. Its better to see if you can get results rather than sitting in class thinking why can't they do something to help me out.
Quote by ShallowEndings
Your not getting what i meant so there isn't a point of arguing.

There is no way to know unless he tells someone about it, until than you can make up all the predictions you want. If nothing happens than obviously the school system there is ****ed.

Schools in Australia aren't slow, if you have something to say than the matter should be investigated straight away. Obviously if its like that in America or wherever you live than something needs to be done in your own education program. Its better to see if you can get results rather than sitting in class thinking why can't they do something to help me out.

No I get what you're saying. I am assuming he's in an educational system similar to US colleges, in which case it's just a waste of your time to try.

And by the way, what happens after your apparently superior Australian schools start "investigating"?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by Xiaoxi
And by the way, what happens after your apparently superior Australian schools start "investigating"?

They call in the kangaroos.
What SYK said.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Damn that sucks. Defeats the purpose for you. I'd say talk to the teachers, then the people responsible, and then the administration if all else fails.
TS, just ask your teacher either to give you some other work to be going on with while everyone else ctaches up, or you'll just keep going anyway.
Or maybe that you'll just go home and masturbate until they've caught up.