Hey. I play mostly metalcore, as in Killswitch Engage and Bullet For My Valentine stuff. I found a really good rhythm tone using my Schecter C-7, a Digitech Distortion Factory into the clean channel on my Peavey Bandit 112. Im getting great distortion using the Metal Zone model, and I love the clarity it has to it. My only complaint is that the sound can be a little thin on single note parts, like at the very end of My Curse. Is there anything I can do to beef up those single note parts?
Can anyone tell me something I can do to help thicken my tone up for single note lines?
Quote by enselmis

Don't use EMG's.

i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
just thought it was weird you mentioned that considering the bands he mentioned in the OP (both use EMGs). the rest of your advice was good though.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Im using the Metal Zone setting on the Distortion Factory, which oddly doesnt sound like a MT-2. I own the actual pedal and they sound quite different. And like I said, Im completely happy with my rhythm tone, and I don't scoop my mids either. I have them set around 5 or 6. Thanks for the suggestions but I quite like my EMGs.
Quote by enselmis
Don't use a metal zone.

Turn up your mids.

+1. Also look into buying a new amp.
The new 1x12 6505 would be worth a look or a used 6505/5150 2x12
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by mikeyElite
just thought it was weird you mentioned that considering the bands he mentioned in the OP (both use EMGs). the rest of your advice was good though.

I know, I know, but EMG's through a Splawn Nitro or a Framus Cobra is whole different bowl of fruit. Those amps could make anything sound good.
Which version of the Bandit are you using? Here are my settings and I get a pretty full thick tone.
Pre: 5 1/2
Modern Mode
Low: 6 (change according to tuning)
Mid: 10
Treble: 2
Presence: 10 (takes out fizz introduced by treble on pre-eq)
Resonance: Loose
T.Dynamics: 100%

Sell that pedal and get a new bridge pickup for your guitar.
Im really not looking for a new amp or pickups. And I have a different version of Bandit. Im completely happy with everything else in my tone, I just need a tad more thickness. It's not gonna kill me but it would be nice if I could get it without changing my entire rig.
Quote by sg4ever
EQ pedal???

Yeah, and boost your mids with it.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I'll say look for a new amp first then worry over the pedal and pup later.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Last edited by Blacken Seas at Oct 15, 2009,
Quote by Blacken Seas
personally go look for a new amp first then worry over the pedal and pup later.

Peavey Bandits are decent sounding amps and it sounds like he's almost got the tone he wants.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
^ looks like this guy has been listening. As far as MXRs go, is the 10 band EQ worth it, or would I be okay just getting the 6 band?
I would use the pre-amp gain of the peavey (do you have the older one with the radical logo and silver faceplate?) long before a metal zone. Of course I always used it for more of a thrash/death kind of thing? Try out some different distortion pedals, or amp is you have the cash. I've tried the Digitech Hardwire metal distortion, and it wasn't a bad pedal. Heard great things about the modded MT-2 also, but haven't tried one (once I can mod one I'll let you know!). I'm sure you can find someone that had the Keeley mod MT-2 on here.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Yeah, I have the one with the silver faceplate. Im not happy with the amp's distortion and Im not using an actual MT-2. Im using a setting on a Digitech Distortion Factory that doesn't actually sound like a MT-2. I have the actual pedal and I dont use it unless Im doing a Nightwish cover.
Playing EMG's through an SS amp is going to sound thin.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera