Alright so there's something thats been harder for me over the past 2 years than getting great "plugged in" tone with acoustics. Cutting through the mix of a full band.

I play in a band thats made up of drums, vocals, bass, and guitar. I use my Taylor T5 to cover both acoustic and electric guitar with an A/B box, my Maz 38, and whatever PA system we're using at the time (whether our own Yamaha system in the basement or the ones provided at gigs).

Do any of you play acoustic guitar in a similar type of situation? If so, how well do you hear yourself when your drummer is at his loudest?

Im trying to figure out whether or not the acoustic AND electric thing is still working out for me. Im thinking about just going with clean and overdriven electric. the cleans would take over the job of my acoustic sound since Im currently using the acoustic sound as what would be considered my "cleans".

Im also trying to figure out whether or not acoustic guitars just dont possess the sonic range to stand out in a full band mix that electric guitar seem to have. Is it a matter of bad EQ, mere lack of volume, or the simple fact that acoustic guitars are not very efficient in huge, loud, full band setups? I've been trying to find videos of bands that use electrics and acoustics with a full band to see if they can manage it better than I currently do, but I cant find much and whatever I do find seems to be a country music performance that uses acoustics, but even they dont keep up very well with the rest of the band in terms of volume.

I dont know...any advice or input?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
My band has to do acoustic shows sometimes which basically just means the guitarist goes unplugged and everyone else stays the same. As long as the guitarist uses an EQ properly and the drummer calms down a little, he can be heard just fine but isn't too loud.
have you tried using an acoustic guitar amp.
iv played in a band with drums guitar bass and vox with an acoustic, it worked ok for me.
hearing your self is the same for electric guitar, turn your foldback speakers up. (if you have any)
I dont see the point in getting an acoustic amp if Im plugged in to a PA. unless it was purely for monitoring.

in that case I'm already considering IEM's, plus there's usually stage monitors. Looks like this is already leaning towards being an EQ/gain issue, which is quite fixable.

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
^
My band used a PA with the guitar as well. If you know how to use an EQ properly then you're good to go, if not then you might wanna experiment for a little while until you get a good sound.
Are you sending the signal from the A/B box that goes to the PA for acoustic stuff into a direct box BEFORE getting to the PA? This will help sound quality at least a little bit. Proper EQing is important as well. If you still can't get a decent sound, just a touch of reverb or chorus could help your tone cut through.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Are you sending the signal from the A/B box that goes to the PA for acoustic stuff into a direct box BEFORE getting to the PA? This will help sound quality at least a little bit. Proper EQing is important as well. If you still can't get a decent sound, just a touch of reverb or chorus could help your tone cut through.

Yeah my signal chain goes:

Guitar -> A/B/Both box -> Fishman Pro Platinum EQ with balanced XLR out to the board

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce