Poll: does your school hire a band or DJ?
Poll Options
View poll results: does your school hire a band or DJ?
Band
4 4%
DJ
101 90%
other (please state)
7 6%
Voters: 112.
I'm talking about the BIG dances, like prom, sady hawkins, homecoming, all the formal ones.

All the formal dances at my school are becoming a joke because the shcool hires DJs. As you can imagine, people grind and **** while the school tries to enforce "appropriate" dancing. People are starting to just not bother with it at all.

Call me old fashioned, but I'd much rather have an actual band play at dances. Even if they're crap. It just seems more natural to me to dance to live music rather than a bunch of hiphop tracks, where with every other song you hear someone groan, "OMG not this song.. Ughhh"

So my question for you is:
How are your school dances? would you conduct them differently if it were up to you? and would the popular opinion agree with your way?
We always have a dj. I think it would be harder to dance to an actual band...especially if they don't play dance music...most of the time at concerts all people do is jump up and down, not really much of a dance.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
school dances and formals are majorly bunk

first hand experience

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
that said, namesoverrated, that makes it alot easier for the school, they dont have to worry as much about "inappropriate dancing" the atmosphere would be better, and a band is usually cheaper than a Dj because a DJ charges you to hire his equipment while hes using it ive never seen a guitarist being payed rent for his amp lol
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Well, I'm not in high school anymore, but they always hired a DJ. Well, a couple of times, they just had one of the assistant principals, who just happened to be a pretty good DJ.

I mean, DJs are more practical, since you don't have to listen to bad covers. Sure, most of the songs suck, but there's always a few good ones.
I hate how the majority of this forum has a bad view on hip hop. Quit looking at the mainstream and dig a little deeper and you may find something good. It's just like any other music.

On topic: Yea, I don't mind a dj. A dj can play a ton of different types of music, a band plays what they know and that may not be much. I don't go to dances anyways. Big waste of my time when I could just be out getting laid in my own house to my own music.
Last edited by \m/Angus\m/ at Oct 15, 2009,
EDIT: ^ Admit it, you don't get laid

Quote by bananahammock
that said, namesoverrated, that makes it alot easier for the school, they dont have to worry as much about "inappropriate dancing" the atmosphere would be better, and a band is usually cheaper than a Dj because a DJ charges you to hire his equipment while hes using it ive never seen a guitarist being payed rent for his amp lol

I myself wouldn't mind a band, I don't really dance much anyway. Even though everyone bitches about how the dances suck because the school tries to crack down on inappropriate dancing, everyone likes the dances. Everyone would be pissed if we started to hire bands instead
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
My high school used a DJ*.

*teacher who sat at a computer and picked songs for the pop tarts

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

don't mind a dj.

would have preferred a band though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
My school doesn't have dances anymore because last year the freshmen got brutalized at the fall dance.
Quote by Avedas
My school doesn't have dances anymore because last year the freshmen got brutalized at the fall dance.

It was raep tiem??

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

We sometimes had bands and sometimes we had DJ's. I had a chance to DJ at my school's winter ball. Semi Formal so it wasn't such a big deal and I had someone else DJ as well as I wasn't that good at it.
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Quote by rmr024
I'm talking about the BIG dances, like prom, sady hawkins, homecoming, all the formal ones.

All the formal dances at my school are becoming a joke because the shcool hires DJs. As you can imagine, people grind and **** while the school tries to enforce "appropriate" dancing. People are starting to just not bother with it at all.

Call me old fashioned, but I'd much rather have an actual band play at dances. Even if they're crap. It just seems more natural to me to dance to live music rather than a bunch of hiphop tracks, where with every other song you hear someone groan, "OMG not this song.. Ughhh"

So my question for you is:
How are your school dances? would you conduct them differently if it were up to you? and would the popular opinion agree with your way?
Your school sux. Not because they hire DJs. Because they hire crappy DJs.

I've DJ'd a ton of school dances. I played a wider variety of music than any band could possibly play. Very little hiphop, but some. And old standards. And disco-era funk. And metal. And, yep, a country song or two. And some modern rock. And some classic rock. Slow ballads for up-close dancing. And top40 commercial shiz.

Once you light the fuse, you can pretty much do anything and keep it happening.
It's all about ignition, baby.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
I hate how the majority of this forum has a bad view on hip hop. Quit looking at the mainstream and dig a little deeper and you may find something good. It's just like any other music.

On topic: Yea, I don't mind a dj. A dj can play a ton of different types of music, a band plays what they know and that may not be much. I don't go to dances anyways. Big waste of my time when I could just be out getting laid in my own house to my own music.

This "dig a little deeper" hip hop is unknown to most high school kids, and most of them wouldn't even like it. Hence, only mainstream hip hop is played, hence people on here hating it.

On topic: I have my graduation/formal on the same night in a few weeks time. I assume they'll have a DJ. I won't be dancing though regardless so I don't really mind.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
Both. Then again my school never organised any of that stuff, the student body did it independently.
The school used to do it but then stopped because things were getting out of hand and they didn't want parents holding them responsible because their daughter is a fool an drank too much. So we organised them ourselves, which was much better as we had no limits.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Our school had a DJ, mainly because everyone liked rap music and when they were all dressed in suits they thought they were 50 cent, i'm at uni now though and they have bands on alot of the events, mostly playing funk and soul but thats cool as its good to dance to, but then its followed by a DJ which is also alright as hes pretty good.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
For our "dance" it was in a hotel function room, there was a meal, then a band, then a dj.

Food was horrible, alcohol was ridiculously overpriced (although knowing the barman helped a little), band were awful, and tbh, i dont really remember the DJ all that much

All in all, i enjoyed my school "dance"
Sorry if my post made it seem like I was hating on hip-hop. I don't mind it at all, although it's not my usual type of music. It's just that they only play mainstream hip-hop at our dances and that's why you get so many people saying "Dude I'm so sick of this song" or whatever. And actually the highlights of our dances are the techno songs. But I just feel like you should be able to hire a band that can play some solid dance type music, or let the student bands play some stuff.
When I was in high school we usually hired a DJ. However, for prom I convinced them to let me DJ, it was pretty fun.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
We actually have a really cool DJ at our school, and I don't think I can see myself dancing to a band.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Quote by rmr024

I guarantee that if a band played, a lot more people would groan than they would at hiphop. Hiphop is more popular now, so why wouldn't they use it? Besides, I can't see myslef dancing to a band. You don't go to dances to listen to music, you go to dance.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
We always had DJs. And some schexy dancing *dons sunglasses*.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Yes, but they're not really "DJ's" so much as people who stand there and switch CD's.

EDIT: I'd be all for a rave or something like that, but they're kind of lame; except for the obligatory grinding, there's not a whole lot else happening there.
Last edited by thewho65 at Oct 15, 2009,
We had a dj, was wicked, we just got drunk and raved inappropriately
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
If only dance music were easy to dance to... I would much rather have a slow song for slow dancing, so much easier.
for prom we are allowd to choose if we have a DJ or a band at prom
but its most likely going to be a DJ
we had to write down some bands that we could get to play
so i put some local heavy metal bands...
some dude wrote The Fray (which i told him was never going to happen) and MC Frisky
We just get a student to play music from his laptop at our dances.

It really sucks.
Quote by maidenfan15
I guarantee that if a band played, a lot more people would groan than they would at hiphop. Hiphop is more popular now, so why wouldn't they use it? Besides, I can't see myslef dancing to a band. You don't go to dances to listen to music, you go to dance.
If it were up to me I'd probably get a pop rock band, something like Marianas Trench or something. Works the same as hiphop, except none of the "dancing" hip hop brings, if any of you get what I'm saying.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Oct 15, 2009,
For the Ceilidh our music teacher's band comes in, it's not actually that bad
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
I have not been to any dances at my high school. I suppose I can go this year due to Junior prom and ****, but otherwise... no.

EDIT:
Im 100% sure they hire DJ's though.
Hell, they hire a DJ for field day... **** knows what we need it for.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Last edited by monkeysintheday at Oct 15, 2009,
there's a kid at our school who is a dj so he does all our dances. he's really good.
gear:
Charvel 750XL w/ Duncan SH15
Squier Affinity HSS strat
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
EHX Stereo Electric Mistress
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
Our school just uses some generic cheap dj, plays all the typical stuff. I like dancing though, and don't really mind the music. I couldn't really see anyone I know dancing to a real band unless they had some intense electronic kick-snare beats anyway.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Both usually. The dj's always suck but Ill dance to nearly anything when Im hammered and theres women about. Id prefer a dj to be honest. Nobody dances to a band.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
DJ, unfortunately.

It'd be awesome if people started hiring bands again for their dances. Maybe I would go to one
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray