I really like RGs. I love their feel, look, and tone. They're my favorite guitars of all time. I can't get everything I want with of just one though. I would get one with lower output pickups like a Norton and Air Norton combo and one with higher output like an Evo set in the other. I'm thinking of getting a RG1550M. Any negatives to this? Is it worth having 2 of the same guitar with different pickups. Other guitars I am considering are a Charvel or a FR1620.
depends if you want a hardtail or not.

im like you. I love rg's. cant get enough. each one plays differently than the other. they all have their own feel and playability.

i recently switched back from hardtail pgm301 to my rg1570 and i missed the trem. The trem gave such great tuning stability and feel. I never use the trem but i've gotten so accustomed to playing a guitar with one it doesnt feel right to play a hardtail rg.

to answer your question, depends on your value of worth. personally if you like the feel of a guitar model and you're wanting to be picky about sound(pups, fine tuning your tone) theres no flaw to that.

pup suggestion(if it has to be dim): Humbucker from hell if you want a low output clean sound. or air classic.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
It's a lot of cash to shell out for those 2 guitars. Maybe find a sort of pickup that does both well? BK's? Lundgren's?

Both of those brands are expensive, but would probably do the job more efficiently and cost less in the end, compared to buying 2.

If you're also tuning differently, it makes perfect sense, and it's a good idea.
The Edge Zero plays very much like a hardtail. It only moves when you touch the bar. But it's very stiff with the stop-bar in. That's one of the reasons I want one with a trem that's more like a Floyd. In all honesty, I don't really care whether it has a trem or not. If I want a different tuning, I'll just use the RG2550Z since it's easier. But no neck has even come close to the playability of the Wizard Prestige. I love the body shape and the access to the high frets. I love basswood. I pretty much want a guitar that's more has a tone similar to a the EVH guitars with the harmonics, warmth, and touch sensitivity. I heard the Norton and Air Norton is closest to that. I want the other one to just scream and break doors down. Something that's more compressed and higher output for metal.

The main thing I'm worried about is that pickups don't make a huge difference. The only pickup swap I've done is on my Epi G-400. I put in some Dirty Fingers to replace the stock ones. The difference was night and day. It sounded like a completely different guitar but I'm not sure whether it was because the stock pickups were just that bad. I know there's a huge difference between a good pickup and a bad pickup, but is it the same difference as obvious between two good pickups with different specs?
i'm an RG lover too. i had 3 different models at once at one point. an RG570, RGR521, and RGA121. they were all 3 unique and different, but still definitely RG's. i say go for it, they're great guitars!

EDIT: and at one point i was EXTREMELY close to buying a second RG570, or buying an RG550. can't have too many RG's! i just prefer the convenience of a hardtail so my RG sits and isn't played like it should be.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Oct 15, 2009,
Of course it's worth it. I do have a hard time seeing the purpose of having multiple guitars that are the same in every way, but if there's a style of guitar you prefer there's nothing at all wrong with having a bunch of em for different purposes. Right now all my guitars are the same shape, simply because I prefer the double cutaway Strat shape. Next on the list is a single cut LP style though, then a Tele...
Nothing wrong with two of the same Guitar!
How many JEM7VWHs does Vai have?
(Well he used to have four, now he only plays one and a re-sprayed floral JEM >_>

I re-read the post now, but I was going to say "get one slightly different like the 1550M" but that's what you're after anyway
Thanks guys, I would totally get the RG1550M if it's possible for it to sound completely different than my RG2550Z with different pickups through the same amp (let's say a Spider Valve MkII). I think the Poisoned Pumpkin looks amazing but can different pickups really make both RGs sound completely different and give each one its own personal character?
There is nothing wrong with two of the same guitar, and if you love the RG feel then go for it.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I say go for it. I own two strats with different pups and fretboards. You certainly aren't the only person to ever do this. Pros do it all the time.
I just bought an ESP EC 1000 and looking at an ESP Eclipse now
I have 2 myself, probably get another one later too. I love them, got different pick ups in each also. My 2550z and 550 are totally different, I do love the maple neck that the 550 has.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
one evo is medium powered(neck) the bridge is high powered there nothing wrong with putting a neck pickup in the bridge position...just a idea
I've got four Les Paul guitars and two Telecaster guitars; another of my guitars has the same control layout and similar pickups to the LPs.

Who cares if you have more than one of the same sort of guitar, if it is what suits you then there's no reason to go out of your way to pick up another type of guitar that probably won't suit you as well. Most of my guitars I have are set to sound the same (even if the body shape is different), I just have them set up in different tunings.

Quote by ibanezgod1973
one evo is medium powered(neck) the bridge is high powered there nothing wrong with putting a neck pickup in the bridge position...just a idea
It will sound pretty terrible as the bass response in particular will be thrown off, and the output will be very low.

As it so happens, most people who use high output pickups actually have no need for the output and many would find their tone is improved by using lower output pickups, but if someone has their heart set on using higher (or just medium) outpit pickups, then sticking a mild neck pickup in the bridge isn't going to do it for them/
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Oct 15, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
Thanks guys, I would totally get the RG1550M if it's possible for it to sound completely different than my RG2550Z with different pickups through the same amp (let's say a Spider Valve MkII). I think the Poisoned Pumpkin looks amazing but can different pickups really make both RGs sound completely different and give each one its own personal character?

he main thing I'm worried about is that pickups don't make a huge difference. The only pickup swap I've done is on my Epi G-400. I put in some Dirty Fingers to replace the stock ones. The difference was night and day. It sounded like a completely different guitar but I'm not sure whether it was because the stock pickups were just that bad. I know there's a huge difference between a good pickup and a bad pickup, but is it the same difference as obvious between two good pickups with different specs?
hmm well pickup swaps in general are generally hard to pick out on normal amps unless you've had the previous pickups for a long time and the current ones. Through a modeling system such as a spider,pod, gt etc is even harder to hear a pickup swap because the modeler is going to keep modeling the sound it is. You might get a change in output, but frequency response on a modeler in my experience isnt really noticeable with a pup change.

You'll hear some depending on the pickup model. The difference between a tone zone and super distortion is like night and day to my ears through the same amp. but thats due to me having played with both of them a long time
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna get it. Probably selling my Strat for it. I never play it and bright 80s hair metal guitars with maple boards have always been a fetish of mine. Maybe I'll put some purple and white Dimarzios on it to make it more obnoxious. It'll definitely get a lot more fresh air than my strat.
I'd go for it...I used to have two RGs. They're great guitars. Their necks are perfect for me.
Hell yeah man, I love the poisoned pumpkin color.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
Quote by stratman7
Of course it's worth it. I do have a hard time seeing the purpose of having multiple guitars that are the same in every way, but if there's a style of guitar you prefer there's nothing at all wrong with having a bunch of em for different purposes.

^This.

I have 3 Teles, but all have different pickups/wiring schemes. One's a '52 Reissue, with the original weird switching/tone circuit. Then a Frankentele with regular 3-way switching and a Seymour Duncan mini-HB in the neck, and last a Tex-Mex with a regular HB in the neck, and 5-way switching (coil-split on the neckbucker).

I have lots of other guitars in other shapes and pup combo's though, also.