Guitar is swamp ash body, flame maple fretboard, 25" scale 5pc maple/redwood neck. Tuned to C standard. 4-way conductor is a must, as I have push-pull that I want to utilize.

Music I want to play ranges from heavy metal stuff like Arch Enemy to grunge+general rock.

Looked at the DiMarzio pickup finder, and these were the pickups that got the most hits as I selected the genres I play:
Neck: Breed
Bridge: Super Distortion

Are these good choices for me? Or do you have other suggestions in the $70 price range?

And while I'm posting, would these .012 Elixir Nanoweb strings be good for C standard? C-F-A♯-D♯-G-C

Thank you.
Last edited by G.9 at Oct 15, 2009,
Dimarzio are good pick ups. Tony Iommi has put them in his guitars so they cant be ****. haha. my friend plays them in his sg or lp. they sound sick.

as for the strings, they'll be super floppy. i play c standard on my SG and i use d'adarrio ej22 strings. jazz mediums. .13-.56. feel and sound awesome. you can use .12-.54 for C standard as well but its pretty floppy.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
as for the strings, they'll be super floppy. i play c standard on my SG and i use d'adarrio ej22 strings. jazz mediums. .13-.56. feel and sound awesome. you can use .12-.54 for C standard as well but its pretty floppy.

Not if his guitar has a 25.5" scale.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU

I should have clarified... it's 25" scale, not 25.5".
i have seymour duncans in my FX and im really happy with them! dimebucker in the bridge and Full Shred at the neck. the full shred is very mellow and smooth when tapped, and the dimebucker sounds NASTY when tapped, i guess close to a tom morello sound but with more gain.

dont know if the dimebucker would suit you well as im still getting used to it, but the full shred makes a beautiful neck pup. it comes in a bridge version too, so if you got a set, it would suit you well.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by SYLrules88
i have seymour duncans in my FX and im really happy with them! dimebucker in the bridge and Full Shred at the neck. the full shred is very mellow and smooth when tapped, and the dimebucker sounds NASTY when tapped, i guess close to a tom morello sound but with more gain.

dont know if the dimebucker would suit you well as im still getting used to it, but the full shred makes a beautiful neck pup. it comes in a bridge version too, so if you got a set, it would suit you well.

Sounds cool, but what wood is your guitar?

And I'm beginning to have doubts about the DiMarzio pickup finder thing... their suggestions don't seem to change much with different body wood selections.
Have a look at IronGear Steamhammer or Hot Slag. They are about as hot as you dare go with a Spider amp and they're cheap. You'd be better putting your money into a better amp, really, and then deciding on pickups.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by G.9

And I'm beginning to have doubts about the DiMarzio pickup finder thing... their suggestions don't seem to change much with different body wood selections.

Because frankly, wood doesn't matter when it comes to strictly pickup selection. It's asking you what you want out of the pickup. If you want more warmth, a warmer pickup will deliver regardless of wood. Figure out what you want to change in your tone and work from there. Read the descriptions of the pickups too. Dimarzio has very detailed descriptions of their pickups. At the end of the day, it all comes down to preference and what other gear you have. No one can say what works best in ash guitars. If you have a dark amp, you may want bright pickups. When in doubt, call them. Tell them your needs and the rest of your setup and they'll point you in the right direction.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Oct 15, 2009,
Quote by STABxYOU

i totally missed that. even at 25 though theyd probably feel similar to .12-.54 on a 24.75 scale. possibly still too floppy. it's not THAT much of a difference in the length.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by G.9

mahogany with spalted maple top

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab