In the mj beat it solo that evh played....

If I tap my foot to the backing track its feels like the timing of the solo is so out of place to the rythm of the backing track. How does he feel/play that solo and still be in correct timing?
you mean when he was creating this solo he actually could feel it was in correct timing? or is he just playing whatever sounds good over the backing track?
He means that he played whatever sounded good, whether it was in time or not.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
yeah thats right. Me and my old band did a cover of the song live... look up simple freud on youtube

Although the solo is not 100% the same most of the feel is kept there. I kinda changed some of the legato parts for sweep pikcing which made it more agressive. Check it out by the way if you want.
evh can play whatever he wants man. you just gotta accept that
I tried to make a signature listing all my gear, but I couldn't for 2 reasons.

1. I couldn't remember all my gear
2. My signature was too long for UG to process.
Quote by MidEvilDeath
evh can play whatever he wants man. you just gotta accept that

If you really mean that then you're a blinded fanboy . People just say how EVH, Slash & Hendrix have the most amazing technique ever
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
If you really mean that then you're a blinded fanboy . People just say how EVH, Slash & Hendrix have the most amazing technique ever

I think he was just making a joke
EVH is really one of the greatest rhythm guitarists of all time. His sense of timing is spot-on. It's just a really strange, slippery sounding solo, but it is on time.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
EVH is really one of the greatest rhythm guitarists of all time. His sense of timing is spot-on. It's just a really strange, slippery sounding solo, but it is on time.

Pfft I disagree whole heartedly
Quote by darkcheef
Pfft I disagree whole heartedly

I'm not even a van of Van Halen at all, but the man's rhythm playing has always pretty much been spot-on perfect. I think people have always gotten so caught up in his lead playing that he's a terribly underrated rhythm guitarist.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I'm not even a van of Van Halen at all, but the man's rhythm playing has always pretty much been spot-on perfect. I think people have always gotten so caught up in his lead playing that he's a terribly underrated rhythm guitarist.

and a hugely overrated lead guitarist
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
and a hugely overrated lead guitarist

Thus creating a perfect balance that leaves Eddie as the greatest guitarist of all time... lol

But when it comes down to it, it always seems like theres mainly two kinds of guitarist out there, Technique vs Emotion as I like to differentiate them. Eddie, Slash and Hendrix have what I would call emotion, its got feel to it, they do what they want. Where as someone like John Petrucci is technique, he explores the theory of music and its quite evident in dream theater music. However to me it seems like he does not break supposed "rules" of music... it sounds as if its too "written" sounding... Im not sure if I can explain it. However some guitarist like technique based guitar... which is fine... just not my cup of tea...

But thats just me... and I like the feel/emotion of music more than the technique.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by Ethanb08
But when it comes down to it, it always seems like theres mainly two kinds of guitarist out there, Technique vs Emotion as I like to differentiate them. Eddie, Slash and Hendrix have what I would call emotion, its got feel to it, they do what they want. Where as someone like John Petrucci is technique, he explores the theory of music and its quite evident in dream theater music. However to me it seems like he does not break supposed "rules" of music... it sounds as if its too "written" sounding... Im not sure if I can explain it. However some guitarist like technique based guitar... which is fine... just not my cup of tea...

But thats just me... and I like the feel/emotion of music more than the technique.

I agree completely! EVH walks a fine line between technique and emotion, I think but he tips the scale toward emotion. On the other side of that would be someone like Synester Gates (I don't want to hear it...) who is more technique but shows more emotion than a lot of the "technique" guitarists.
Quote by Smcash
I agree completely! EVH walks a fine line between technique and emotion, I think but he tips the scale toward emotion. On the other side of that would be someone like Marty Friedman (I don't want to hear it...) who is more technique but shows more emotion than a lot of the "technique" guitarists.
Fixed.
The reason why that solo feels out of place is because it is out of place. Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones brought in Ed to do a solo for them on the song Beat It. Ed listened to the song and laid down a solo over a part where MJ was singing. Both Quincy and MJ loved the solo but didn't want it in that part of the song, so they put it where we hear it today. Now you know so yes you're 100% correct, the solo is out of place.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Quote by smcash
I agree completely! EVH walks a fine line between technique and emotion, I think but he tips the scale toward emotion. On the other side of that would be someone like Paul Gilbert (I don't want to hear it...) who is more technique but shows more emotion than a lot of the "technique" guitarists.

Fixed.

Fixed.
Correct sir!

And there's theory, technique and emotion, but it's all sound in the end.

Eddie Van Halen produces sound that's pretty ****ing awesome, so people listen to it. Might not be your type of awesome, but if you like it, who cares how they make it.
Criticising the solo of one of the greatest songs of all time, oh the lulz. Part of it is even out of key? Who gives a ****, it sounds quality.
Quote by Ethanb08

lol at the idea of technique vs emotion.

Yes, that is all I have to say.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Did someone say that the Beat It solo from Eddie sounds too written? Geez that solo is one of the most on the spot, letting it go, going with the flow whatever you wanna call it solo I've ever heard.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst