Hi
So i went to allans music (a guitar store in sydney) today, and very very breifly tried out two 12 string guitars. These were the first 12 strings i've ever played so i dont really know what to look for.

Unfortunately they were the only 12 string gutiars in the shop, and i didnt have a pick so i didnt get to test them out that well. but from what i played, i really really liked it and i definately want to get a 12 string

The two guitars were pretty cheap so im slightly sceptical(sp?). so can anyone provide me with information on the 2 guitars, as well as 12 strings in general? (i dont know anything about them)

The 2 guitars were an Ashton D25/12 and an Ibanez V7212

Thanks

Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
whoa allans in sydney sell 12 string acoustics o.0, allans in melb r useless the max u'd find there are a 7string

anyways between those 2 guitars i go the ashton, coz its cheaper

(for me wen it comes to acoustics there all the same to me, just a diffrent name printed on it)
Gear
Epi Goth Explorer
Schecter Demon 7
Jackson JS30 Rhodes (modded)
Line 6 POD HD500
Roland Cube 60
Quote by MetalManForLife
whoa allans in sydney sell 12 string acoustics o.0, allans in melb r useless the max u'd find there are a 7string

anyways between those 2 guitars i go the ashton, coz its cheaper

(for me wen it comes to acoustics there all the same to me, just a diffrent name printed on it)

yeah the shop in Melbourne doesn't have many
Allans is one of two shops in sydney that ive ben to that has 12 strings and the other one (Big Music in crows nest) had 12 strings but none that i could ever afford haha

The only difference between the 2 guitars seems to be that the Ibanez has a built in Tuner and the Ashton does. is it worth paying an extra $100 for a built in tuner?

Also, can anyone tell me if they think the guitars are good?

Join The NSW FTW Group

Erm...7 string acoustics are far less common than 12 string acoustics.

If I had to choose between those two Id go with the Ashton because they're an Australian brand and I'm very opposed to Ibanez acoustics in all their forms.
My honest opinion though, is to get neither. If you're at all serious about playing 12 strings you'll want to save up and get something that at least has a solid top.
I've been looking for an acoustic 12 myself, but it sounds like I've got a lot more options than you seem to...but I live in the Dallas area.

There are several brands that you might consider, even though you might not be able to get your hands on one to try out.

I've been looking at a Seagull Coastline 12- a pure acoustic- that ran about $420 USD. I compared it against Taylors, Ibanezes, Takamines, Alvarez, Dean, Ovation and others, and found it to be a hell of a guitar. The only other one really in the running for me is the Ovation, a brand I love, but whose sound is not for everyone. Godin, Seagull's parent company, also has other predominantly acoustic/acoustic-electric lines like Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherie, Norman, and LaPatrie, any of which I'd feel comfy ordering online if I didn't already have them readily available.

A number of my buddies own Carvin guitars and/or amps, and to a man, each has been extremely satisfied with their purchase. Generally speaking, Carvin seems to give you a lot of quality for the price.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by MetalManForLife

The problem is that this guy may not have the option of trying out a wide variety of brands where he lives- mail-order may be his best option.

That said, most reputable companies have good return policies- check into that before you mail-order (if that is what you wind up doing).

In addition, you might consider working with your local music store to try out one of the other brands mentioned in this thread (or elsewhere, if you get some other advice). Depending upon the laws where you live, a retailer may have more return options than the average Joe Consumer.

Ask if they can try a special order so you can try something out- one at a time, obviously- with the understanding that if they do this, you're committing to buying your 12 through them regardless.

IOW, you'd put some $$$ down, and they'd order a guitar (lets say the Seagull 12). If you like it, end of story. If you don't, you reject it, and the store has the option of returning it or selling it to someone else...but they keep your money against the future purchase of the 12 you pick...or even of other merch in the store.

For the record, some will do this.

I did this when searching for my first electric. I'd tried most of what was around, and wasn't happy. I approached my Favorite Local Music Store (Murphy's Music of Irving, TX) with this, hoping to try out a couple of Deans- an EVO Special Select and a Time Capsule Cadillac. They ordered them, and because of traveling, I couldn't pick them up immediately. So many people- mostly Murphy's employees and a couple of the guys who taught guitar there- tried those Deans before I could that they realized they could really sell them. Murphy's now sells more Deans in the region than almost anyone else.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Hey
There are two more 12 strings in the sydney allens store (last time i was in) a Maton (Aust brand) and a Martin. Both were around the Aus$1800 mark. they were hung up behind the Larivee guitars, near the window.

Also, Billy Hyde just opened in Sydney CBD this week. they have a Cole Clark 12 string and a few others in stock. Also check out their parramatta store, am pretty sure they had a couple of 12s (haven't been in a while).
GavFav
Thanks everyone! this information is really helping me
I've thought about what you all said, and while i kinda liked the guitars i've tried none of them really screamed at me, you know none of them felt like "My Guitar"

i went to billy hyde at tarren point today and tried out a Legacy 12 string (i cant recall which exact model) but it was like $400 or something and it was ok.. but again it didnt scream at me

I'll definately have a look at the new billy hyde in the CBD cause i havent been there before..

A few of you have said look for Solid Top. why is this?
like whats the difference

Whats bad about a Spruce Top?

Join The NSW FTW Group
Last edited by CoF-Dean at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by CoF-Dean
Thanks everyone! this information is really helping me
I've thought about what you all said, and while i kinda liked the guitars i've tried none of them really screamed at me, you know none of them felt like "My Guitar"

i went to billy hyde at tarren point today and tried out a Legacy 12 string (i cant recall which exact model) but it was like $400 or something and it was ok.. but again it didnt scream at me

I'll definately have a look at the new billy hyde in the CBD cause i havent been there before..

A few of you have said look for Solid Top. why is this?
like whats the difference

Whats bad about a Spruce Top?

people say solid top has better sound as the guitar ages