So I've been in the market for a new guitar now for well over 4 months. I've searched high and low and the only thing I've found in my price range that fit me well enough was a PRS SE Custom 22 and the SE Singlecut also... Until today. I tried an Ibanez SZR720, and even though I was never a big Ibanez fan, this thing is DAMN pretty (and it sounds pretty good too ). I'm having trouble deciding between these two guitars, and also I'm still looking around at anything comparable. My styles range from country, blues and jazz straight up to rock and roll and heavy metal, but I'm looking for a more hard rock/metal guitar, as that's my main style I play.
My price range is no higher than $800CAD. And for what its worth, pinch harmonics are a favourite passtime of mine, so something with a high output is preferable.

Any help is appreciated, I'm looking forward to some second opinions.

Cheers folks!
the ibanez is pretty good but i would go with the PRS 4 sure... you can't go wrong with it
I Love my singlecut but don't get the stoptail piece, go for the Tremolo, intonation for the stop tail piece is letting down the bridge with a screwdriver which leads to accidents when your not careful, ive did it one and smacked the body and put a little dent in it, dont make the smake mistake i have!
I have played both .... I prefer the SZR...HUGE Sound .... but both are very good guitars for the money
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Yeah I was thinking of if I buy either the Singlecut or the Custom 22, I'd swap out the tuners for sure. put grovers or locking tuners on there instead, that way I can use the Trem, though I don't make much use of a trem arm
single cut is way better IMO
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Boss Gt-8
A lot of the SE models are on close out right now. They dropped to $499.

I'd go with the semi hollow SE, just to confuse matters here.

The ibby is a great guitar too though. Tough choices.
pinch harmonics have more to do with the gain on your amp and the actual acoustic resonance of your guitar than the output power of pickups, despite what zakk's emg endorsement deal will tell you.
Quote by TheFunkyAvocado
pinch harmonics have more to do with the gain on your amp and the actual acoustic resonance of your guitar than the output power of pickups, despite what zakk's emg endorsement deal will tell you.

wat

i can do Pinch Harmonics on my yamaha acoustic
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
wat

+1
Pinch harmonics are all technique. Pickups/high gain will help make it sound like a Zakk Wylde squealie, but you dont need any gain at all to do them.
ive played the se line of prs' and the flat top is realllyyy uncomfortable to ME. meaning its not contoured at all its just a plank of wood. the neck felt really un comfortable to ME, but please play them before you have the interweb people command you
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
wat

the reason you can do them on your acoustic is my second reason. an acoustic has very good resonance. on a guitar like an ibanez rg (ironic isnt it) pinch harmonics die out much more easily than on something with good resonance like a les paul.

yes, you do need gain to get good (or at least the kind he is looking for) pinch harmonics, especially if you want to sustain them for a long time. that said, there is no need to drown your sound in gain all the time.

if i were you i would go for the se custom 24. nicer, more balanced neck shape in my opinion.
Last edited by TheFunkyAvocado at Oct 17, 2009,
I'm definitely not going to be letting people on the forum command me with regards to what I should/shouldn't buy (its too expensive for that!) but it's definitely a plus to have other people give me feedback on what they think. Thanks for the help thus far folks, any more feedback is appreciated! Cheers
i went and played the szr more today ...... I am VERY impressed
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Boss Gt-8
Yeah, that's my problem is that both of those guitars floor me, for the price you pay. My only concern with both is the tuners, they're not very good, but that's because i play in a bunch of different tunings. Ugh, decisions!
I actually found the necks on both guitars pretty similar in regards to how easy they were to get along with. The pickups on the Ibanez are vastly superior to the ones equipped on the PRS and so is the bridge.

Add cosmetics into the equation and the Ibanez pulls out an even bigger lead.

I'd go for the SZR
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Ah yes the Gibraltar III The best fixed bridge EVAR!!!!
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Boss Gt-8
The SZRs are good, but I preferred the older SZ series. If you could pick up one of those second hand you'd be even more impressed.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yeah maybe. I think the reason I'm still gravitating more to the PRS is because I've played it more often, because to try the SZR I have to travel downtown. The shop near my house doesn't carry it. I'm gonna see if they can bring one in and go from there.

But yeah, the SZR kind of picks up the lead especially in terms of aesthetic in comparison to the PRS. But as much as I love pretty guitars, I want something that's going to give me a lot of punch. I guess we'll see.