I've made my way through ****ty starter pack guitars, decent mid-range guitars that are okay but just not quite brilliant and finally I've gotten to the point where I want to get a guitar that I will stick with. Maybe I'll swap out the pickups later down the road, or get another guitar to cover an area of playing that this particular guitar doesn't cover, but, ultimately, I want this to be my main axe.

Therefore, it has to be able to cover quite a few different genres. And preferably be in the 1500-2500 Australian dollars range. But I'm moderately flexible.

My taste in music and tone tends to be reasonably varied. I love shred (must be such a rare site here) I'm really into Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen, Satch, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Buckethead etc.

If that were it, I'd probably have a decent idea of where to go. However, my favourite band of all time, and probably my main inspiration tone wise is Pink Floyd. I adore David Gilmours tone and phrasing. I'm also quite keen on Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Guns N' Roses and that sort of thing.

TL;DR

Basically, I want a guitar that will last me in the long term and that will cover my Shred, Hard Rock/Metal And Pink Floyd style needs. I love playing fast, and I love playing music with feeling. Something that will handle cleans well, and allow me to get that warm 'woman-tone' while pulling off Yngwie licks. :p

Any pointers would be great, I'm going out tomorrow to try a bunch of guitars out first hand and will probably be back here again with a list after I've narrowed down a bit.
Last edited by kLinic at Oct 15, 2009,
Even if you aren't a fan of Lamb of God, the Mark Morton signature Jackson Dominion is the best guitar I have ever played and will buy it when I save up even. It's the most versatile guitar ever, and it's a beauty. Check it out.

Here's a video. It's not a demo really, but you can still check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcVVfXN3RK8
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by britishsligean
you could look at an ibanez jem

That's out of his price range I'm pretty sure. A Gibson Explorer might be good for you I'll let other people recommend you Ibanez' I've never really been a fan. You might be able to find an ESP Eclipse in that price range as well.
In Australia the used market really is your friend.
EDIT:
Maton Mastersound Deluxe , good for just about anything I'd reckon and you're buying Australian all the way
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Oct 15, 2009,
PRS SE Custom? Epiphone LP Custom w/ pickup upgrade?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Gilmour's tones come from a few combinations of things. A look at www.gilmourish.com would help but in essence the early recordings were done mostly with Les Pauls and SGs. Later he used a Strat with EMGs which, with enough amp and pedal power sounds quite similar.
Amp-wise it was always Hiwatt 100w heads, Hiwatt top cabs and WEM bottom cabs in either a double or quad stack formation. So, British voiced amplification and tight Fane speakers (Crescendos) will help a lot.
Although I'm a lover of Gibsons and humbuckers, for the clarity you also need, the Strat/EMG would get the job done and no-one ever says Strats don't last.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Check out the ESP Horizon NT/FR-II w/ SD it's slightly out of your budget but with a bit of haggling you might be able to get it in your budget
Quote by consecutive e
That's out of his price range I'm pretty sure. A Gibson Explorer might be good for you I'll let other people recommend you Ibanez' I've never really been a fan. You might be able to find an ESP Eclipse in that price range as well.
EDIT:
Maton Mastersound Deluxe , good for just about anything I'd reckon and you're buying Australian all the way

Thanks for advice. I'm not too keen on the Explorer shape for what I'm looking for. Ina guitar like this, I really want to be satisfied with every aspect of the guitar. I just can't see me ripping out a Gilmour style solo on an Explorer. :p

I've definately been on friendly terms with the used market in the past. But, and I know it's silly (but there's a little bit more backstory behind the upcoming purchase then you'd expect), I don't think that will be an option this time around. As I said, back story.

Quote by Lurcher
Gilmour's tones come from a few combinations of things. A look at www.gilmourish.com would help but in essence the early recordings were done mostly with Les Pauls and SGs. Later he used a Strat with EMGs which, with enough amp and pedal power sounds quite similar.
Amp-wise it was always Hiwatt 100w heads, Hiwatt top cabs and WEM bottom cabs in either a double or quad stack formation. So, British voiced amplification and tight Fane speakers (Crescendos) will help a lot.
Although I'm a lover of Gibsons and humbuckers, for the clarity you also need, the Strat/EMG would get the job done and no-one ever says Strats don't last.

Wow, that's a fantastic resource. Thanks a load.

I don't think that kind of amp set up is within my reach at the moment though. Plus, I mostly (possibly always) use the venues amps when I am gigging. Small practice amp for me it shall be for a while I think.

I've been really keen on the idea of a strat. I love the image of them. And tonnes of my favourite guitarists use (or have used) them. I hadn't really thought of putting EMG's in a strat. But I can't see why not.

Do Fender offer any Strats with EMG's in them? Or would that be a project for later after my wallet has had time to replenish itself?

Is there anything I need to watch out for when buying a strat? I'd definately be going American made, but do they have any particular models that I'd have to stay clear of?

EDIT:

Quote by azn_guitarist25
Check out the ESP Horizon NT/FR-II w/ SD it's slightly out of your budget but with a bit of haggling you might be able to get it in your budget

Ooh, those are gorgeous. I'll definately keep that in mind. Thanks.
Well, if you're really loaded then you could get this. However, the same effect could be achieved with a standard Stratocaster and the requisite modifications. As people have stated earlier, a strat loaded with EMGs would go a long way to producing the Gilmour tone, alongside some of his favorite pedals (delay, etc.).

You could possibly think about installing a stacked humbucker in one of the slots of a Stratocaster to give your metal tones a bit more bite, but you might not want/need to since you said you're aiming for Gilmour's tone.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by consecutive e
EDIT:

i went on one australian website and they had one listed for about $2000 on sale
It seems a lot of the players you mention play strats or strat style guitars. These are some of the best classic strats in your price range IMO. You could also look at super strats like Jackson, ESP, etc. Tom Anderson and John Suhr also make super strats but they get pretty expensive.
http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/sCZ512610/

http://www.indoorstorm.com/John_Suhr_Electric_Guitar_Classic_Alder_Olympic_White_Gjs470-p-5570.html

http://www.indoorstorm.com/Tom_Anderson_Guitars_Anderson_Classic_Alder_Ice_Blue_Gta202-p-5170.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gadow-Monterey-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ270398259088QQcmdZViewItem
Gadow isn't well known but they are made here in my home state of NC and I have had the privilege to play many of them. They are top notch quality and sound fabulous.
Last edited by fretz86 at Oct 15, 2009,
allow me to get that warm 'woman-tone' while pulling off Yngwie licks. :pQUOTE]

Wow, your so badass

Seriously though Ibanez prestige
If your spending that amount of money theres 5 steps to follow.

Step 1: Go outside.

Step 2: Go to a guitar shop.

Step 3: Try lots of guitars.

Step 4: Find a guitar that feels the best to you.

Step 5: Buy it.

you can mod it to be like Gilmour's EMG equipped strat if needed. Best guitar I've played and makes bends so much easier and everything. Gilmour's sig comes with EMGs, I know that, but he has the vintage radius (7.25") while EJ's has the 12" which is the same radius as ibanez and most 'shred' guitars.

That's if you're looking for a strat. Try them all out though, I know Gilmour used a '52 RI tele on a tour too. I think it might've been pulse (he played Run Like Hell with it).
Quote by fretz86
It seems a lot of the players you mention play strats or strat style guitars. These are some of the best classic strats in your price range IMO. You could also look at super strats like Jackson, ESP, etc. Tom Anderson and John Suhr also make super strats but they get pretty expensive.
http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/sCZ512610/

http://www.indoorstorm.com/John_Suhr_Electric_Guitar_Classic_Alder_Olympic_White_Gjs470-p-5570.html

http://www.indoorstorm.com/Tom_Anderson_Guitars_Anderson_Classic_Alder_Ice_Blue_Gta202-p-5170.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gadow-Monterey-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ270398259088QQcmdZViewItem
Gadow isn't well known but they are made here in my home state of NC and I have had the privilege to play many of them. They are top notch quality and sound fabulous.

Cool man, thanks a lot. I'd noticed the trend in strat like guitars too. Definately something I'm interested in. Love to try out Gadow, but buying online isn't an option because I REALLY need to try the feel of the guitar. And I highly doubt they will have any obscure brands in any of the guitar stores here in Brisbane. If I ever find one I willl definately give it a try though.

Quote by So-Cal
Quote by kLinic
allow me to get that warm 'woman-tone' while pulling off Yngwie licks. :p

Wow, your so badass

Seriously though Ibanez prestige

I know, right? So badass that I fixed your quote. I'll assume you know that I was kidding around and will in turn assume that you were too. I am under no dellusions of being a 'badass' I know that I am. :P

Seriously though, a lot of people have mentioned Ibanez Prestige so that's very high on my to do list today when I go out to try guitars. So I will thank you for your serious advice. :p

Quote by Zakk_Lp
If your spending that amount of money theres 5 steps to follow.

Step 1: Go outside.

Step 2: Go to a guitar shop.

Step 3: Try lots of guitars.

Step 4: Find a guitar that feels the best to you.

Step 5: Buy it.

And that's exactly what I intend to do. I just wanted to get a bit of direction on what I should look at. I plan on playing ****loads once I get to the shop. Just wanted some of UG's infinite wisdom in my pocket for when I get there.
Quote by kLinic
I know, right? So badass that I fixed your quote. I'll assume you know that I was kidding around and will in turn assume that you were too. I am under no dellusions of being a 'badass' I know that I am.

Seriously though, a lot of people have mentioned Ibanez Prestige so that's very high on my to do list today when I go out to try guitars. So I will thank you for your serious advice.

You assumed correctly

Have a look at the Fender Malmsteen Strat aswell, if you cant pull off Yngwie licks on that then you wont on anything else. Also its a strat so the cleans will be awesome and you should be able to get a pretty good gilmour tone.

Also thanks for fixing my quote, I fixed your P's
Last edited by So-Cal at Oct 16, 2009,
get the ESP Horizon NT-II
if u dont have enough money get the ESP LTD MH-1000 NT
they're really versatile because of the seymour duncan pickups and the coil split

both those guitars are almost the same. The ESP is more expensive because of the name, its made in japan and the fretboard is ebony instead of the rosewood fretboard on the LTD.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by So-Cal
You assumed correctly

Have a look at the Fender Malmsteen Strat aswell, if you cant pull off Yngwie licks on that then you wont on anything else. Also its a strat so the cleans will be awesome and you should be able to get a pretty good gilmour tone.

Also thanks for fixing my quote, I fixed your P's

Thanks man. What would I do without you?

I checked out a few guitars today. The range was kinda limited, they usually have a lot more stock. I tried out an Ibanez Jem and a 'J Custom' Both were great, but way out of my price range.

I played a couple of other Ibanez's and tried a few of the better Epiphone LP's.

Apart from the High end expensive Ibanez's nothing really tickled my fancy. I also tried out an Amrican Standard Strat which I thought was pretty good. After playing the Jem and coming back to it however, something clicked I think. The neck just suddenly seemed to fit perfectly. I think I actually found it easier to play on then on the Ibanez's.

One thing that did interest me quite a bit were the few scalloped frets on the Jem. They didn't feel all that different, certainly not harder.

Quote by FallsDownStairs

you can mod it to be like Gilmour's EMG equipped strat if needed. Best guitar I've played and makes bends so much easier and everything. Gilmour's sig comes with EMGs, I know that, but he has the vintage radius (7.25") while EJ's has the 12" which is the same radius as ibanez and most 'shred' guitars.

That's if you're looking for a strat. Try them all out though, I know Gilmour used a '52 RI tele on a tour too. I think it might've been pulse (he played Run Like Hell with it).

Yeah, as mentioned before, I found the Strat I played to be pretty top notch. I think it was an '08 American Standard. Are they considered to be alright?

Sadly I couldn't find any ESP's or LTD's at all. Will check a few more shops tomorrow, but so far I'm really interested in the Strat.

I tried one out with both a humbucker and without one. I think I preferred the All single coil one to be honest. A bit of noise when not playing, but that's easy to work around. And it just felt so much cleaner. Does anyone think I will really need that humbucker?
Also going to suggest some kind of strat, you'd probably want an HSS if you're playing metal and hard rock. The EMG set would probably work well to cover everything but I wouldn't think it'd be ideal for Gilmour's tone. He only put them in during the 80s because of onstage lighting and stuff affecting his signal.
http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=68
Quote by aaronni
Also going to suggest some kind of strat, you'd probably want an HSS if you're playing metal and hard rock. The EMG set would probably work well to cover everything but I wouldn't think it'd be ideal for Gilmour's tone. He only put them in during the 80s because of onstage lighting and stuff affecting his signal.
http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=68

Really? :/ Crap, I was really hoping to stick with single coils. would a HSS really be able to stand up to Gilmours tone? The all singles just seemed to be that much clearer and crisper. Plus, I think Strats look sort of ridiculous with a Humbucker in them.

Would it be possible to outfit a strat with a stacked humbucker and add a coil tap to it to be able to harness a single coil sound from it when needed? I really have NO idea what I'm talking about right here. Just shooting in the dark at the moment.
Quote by kLinic
Really? :/ Crap, I was really hoping to stick with single coils. would a HSS really be able to stand up to Gilmours tone? The all singles just seemed to be that much clearer and crisper. Plus, I think Strats look sort of ridiculous with a Humbucker in them.

Would it be possible to outfit a strat with a stacked humbucker and add a coil tap to it to be able to harness a single coil sound from it when needed? I really have NO idea what I'm talking about right here. Just shooting in the dark at the moment.

Was just going on a mini rant there sorry. I'm sure the EMG SAs would sound good for Gilmour and would certainly handle the heavier stuff better than regular singles. I wouldn't expect them to get perfect single coil tone though. I just suggested HSS because then you could have the humbucker for the heavier stuff and keep 2 single coils for more vintage stuff. Either way would work I reckon, note I've no first hand experience with the EMGs, I'm just giving my opinion. Most kinds of single coil, EMG or not will generally give a clearer sound than humbuckers anyway.

You could get an HSS and coil split/tap (sorry I get these terms mixed up) the humbucker to get closer to a single coil sound. From the sound of it you're set on an SSS strat though, so something like the EMGs might be a good call. You could have a look at Lace sensors too, they're noiseless, single coil size and have different ones aimed at different sounds, eg vintage single coil to hot humbucker.
Quote by aaronni
Was just going on a mini rant there sorry. I'm sure the EMG SAs would sound good for Gilmour and would certainly handle the heavier stuff better than regular singles. I wouldn't expect them to get perfect single coil tone though. I just suggested HSS because then you could have the humbucker for the heavier stuff and keep 2 single coils for more vintage stuff. Either way would work I reckon, note I've no first hand experience with the EMGs, I'm just giving my opinion. Most kinds of single coil, EMG or not will generally give a clearer sound than humbuckers anyway.

You could get an HSS and coil split/tap (sorry I get these terms mixed up) the humbucker to get closer to a single coil sound. From the sound of it you're set on an SSS strat though, so something like the EMGs might be a good call. You could have a look at Lace sensors too, they're noiseless, single coil size and have different ones aimed at different sounds, eg vintage single coil to hot humbucker.

Hey man, no need to apologize. I welcome any kind of rant and advice.

Yeah, I guess I am kind of set on the SSS Strat. I don't really know why, I guess it's just a sort of iconic thing for me growing up seeing that.

I guess it's really just a toss up between getting a perfect single coil tone and getting that heavy sound. If anyone here has those Single Coil EMG's and could give me some feedback on their tone in comparison to regular single coils, that would be great.

If worse comes to worse, I have my Cort X-9 to handle the heavier stuff which I will probably still use whenever I need the 24th fret or a Floyd Rose. Ideally further down the line I will buy another guitar to handle my humbuckery needs and I can stick to the pure single coil tone in the strat.
Quote by kLinic
Thanks man. What would I do without you?

I checked out a few guitars today. The range was kinda limited, they usually have a lot more stock. I tried out an Ibanez Jem and a 'J Custom' Both were great, but way out of my price range.

I played a couple of other Ibanez's and tried a few of the better Epiphone LP's.

Apart from the High end expensive Ibanez's nothing really tickled my fancy. I also tried out an Amrican Standard Strat which I thought was pretty good. After playing the Jem and coming back to it however, something clicked I think. The neck just suddenly seemed to fit perfectly. I think I actually found it easier to play on then on the Ibanez's.

One thing that did interest me quite a bit were the few scalloped frets on the Jem. They didn't feel all that different, certainly not harder.

Yeah, as mentioned before, I found the Strat I played to be pretty top notch. I think it was an '08 American Standard. Are they considered to be alright?

Sadly I couldn't find any ESP's or LTD's at all. Will check a few more shops tomorrow, but so far I'm really interested in the Strat.

I tried one out with both a humbucker and without one. I think I preferred the All single coil one to be honest. A bit of noise when not playing, but that's easy to work around. And it just felt so much cleaner. Does anyone think I will really need that humbucker?

American standards are your standard guitars. The image I posted was one of the EJ strat that you can find used for around $1000. Definitely many things different between the EJ strat and the Standard. I don't think you need a humbucker. There are hotter output pickups that also have hum canceling, and stacked humbuckers that are single coil sized. The sound you want will depend on your amplifier.

Quote by kLinic
Hey man, no need to apologize. I welcome any kind of rant and advice.

Yeah, I guess I am kind of set on the SSS Strat. I don't really know why, I guess it's just a sort of iconic thing for me growing up seeing that.

I guess it's really just a toss up between getting a perfect single coil tone and getting that heavy sound. If anyone here has those Single Coil EMG's and could give me some feedback on their tone in comparison to regular single coils, that would be great.

If worse comes to worse, I have my Cort X-9 to handle the heavier stuff which I will probably still use whenever I need the 24th fret or a Floyd Rose. Ideally further down the line I will buy another guitar to handle my humbuckery needs and I can stick to the pure single coil tone in the strat.

If you're wanting to stick with SSS, there are single coil sized humbuckers(stacked or mini buckers, I think they call it), hotter output single coils, hum canceling with hotter output, etc. EMGs aren't the only thing that can handle the higher outputs and play your hard rock and metal. The whole sound greatly depends on your amplifier. If your amplifier can't play what you want to play, then you need the new amplifier.

My recommendation still goes to the EJ strat, if you're looking for the strat. Best strat I've played, and the most consistent. They have a rosewood model too, but they're a bit more expensive, you might be able to find them used, but the maple model is easier to find used as its been out since '05, while the rosewood just came out this year.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
American standards are your standard guitars. The image I posted was one of the EJ strat that you can find used for around $1000. Definitely many things different between the EJ strat and the Standard. I don't think you need a humbucker. There are hotter output pickups that also have hum canceling, and stacked humbuckers that are single coil sized. The sound you want will depend on your amplifier.

Oh, right. So would a Standard Strat not really cut it as the sort of guitar that I'll just keep using for years and years? I am planning for this to be one of my mains, if not my actual main so, as I've said, I don't want to just get some decent guitar, I want a good one that I can stick by.

Could you maybe just give me a rundown of what the main differences between the standard and EJ are? I had a look on the Fender site, but I still don't have a great idea of what makes the Standard inferior. If it's simply something like pickups, I will almost definately switch them out along the line so I'd be willing to still go Standard, especially as that's something I can actually get here without having to hunt like crazy.

Quote by FallsDownStairs
If you're wanting to stick with SSS, there are single coil sized humbuckers(stacked or mini buckers, I think they call it), hotter output single coils, hum canceling with hotter output, etc. EMGs aren't the only thing that can handle the higher outputs and play your hard rock and metal. The whole sound greatly depends on your amplifier. If your amplifier can't play what you want to play, then you need the new amplifier.

I'm sure I've mentioned it here somewhere, but I only use my own amp for practicing. I definately cannot afford a good quality amp at this stage to take to gigs, and I'd be stretched for transportation with it. So far I've been using just the venues amps. That's why I just want to clean up the equipment that I can gaurentee I can use first before moving onto amps. It does get inconsistent, but I just have to live with it.
  • Fender American Standard Stratocaster
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Quote by kLinic
Oh, right. So would a Standard Strat not really cut it as the sort of guitar that I'll just keep using for years and years? I am planning for this to be one of my mains, if not my actual main so, as I've said, I don't want to just get some decent guitar, I want a good one that I can stick by.

Could you maybe just give me a rundown of what the main differences between the standard and EJ are? I had a look on the Fender site, but I still don't have a great idea of what makes the Standard inferior. If it's simply something like pickups, I will almost definately switch them out along the line so I'd be willing to still go Standard, especially as that's something I can actually get here without having to hunt like crazy

American standards are great guitars and will last a long time, but of course something like the EJ strat is generally a cut above the standards. They should last a longer time than the standards, I doubt today's standards will last as long as ones from the 50s and 60s.

AFAIK the main differences lie in the neck, flatter, 12 inch radius and a soft V profile. Great neck but it's all down to preference, the standard will be thinner. Have you looked at the specs list of each guitar? That will be the best way to compare. I'm sure FallsDownStairs will give a better list, he knows his EJ strats
This is a really out-there idea, but the Ernie Ball Steve Morse guitars, which have a humbucker right next to single coil. Won't be perfect...just an out-there idea...
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
I've just noticed on the Fender site that apparently the EJ strat is only 21 frets. I'm afraid that's a no sale for me. I very rarely use the 24th fret (only one of my songs has used it and the lick is fast enough that most probably wouldn't notice if it went missing) But I use the 22nd fret fairly frequently.

Other then that, I am a fan of the thinner neck in the standard, one of my favourite things about it actually. The longevity is a bit worrying... Would it be more likely to be something like hardware failure? I baby my guitars like crazy, there's no way I would let dust get on it, let alone it get bumped and I believe I am literate enough in electronics to fix the majority of hardware issues. And I do believe that the pick ups will be swapped out later anyway.

But if the neck is going to randomly snap off and hit me in the face that would not be very good at all. D:
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Quote by kLinic
I've just noticed on the Fender site that apparently the EJ strat is only 21 frets. I'm afraid that's a no sale for me. I very rarely use the 24th fret (only one of my songs has used it and the lick is fast enough that most probably wouldn't notice if it went missing) But I use the 22nd fret fairly frequently.

Other then that, I am a fan of the thinner neck in the standard, one of my favourite things about it actually. The longevity is a bit worrying... Would it be more likely to be something like hardware failure? I baby my guitars like crazy, there's no way I would let dust get on it, let alone it get bumped and I believe I am literate enough in electronics to fix the majority of hardware issues. And I do believe that the pick ups will be swapped out later anyway.

But if the neck is going to randomly snap off and hit me in the face that would not be very good at all. D:

I doubt you'd need to worry about it falling apart on you. Take care of it and it'll last for years, hell well treated MIMs will last a long time. One last thing make sure you try the guitar beforehand, sounds like you're set on the standard but do try it first, there's always a chance you'll not like it or get a bit of a dud guitar.
Quote by aaronni
I doubt you'd need to worry about it falling apart on you. Take care of it and it'll last for years, hell well treated MIMs will last a long time. One last thing make sure you try the guitar beforehand, sounds like you're set on the standard but do try it first, there's always a chance you'll not like it or get a bit of a dud guitar.

I did play it for about two hours today. Does that count? Going back tomorrow (er, today now) Will check out a few more guitars, but, yeah. I'm pretty set on that Strat. It just clicked in my hands, it felt like it was meant to be there. Sounds stupid and cliche, but that's how it felt.

Will still try out more guitars and will try out an EJ if I find one but I think this Strat is probably going to be the one for me But for all I know I will find a guitar tomorrow that will blow me away and make me forget about the strat completely. I am still hoping to run into one of those ESP's mentioned earlier.
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
The strat will definitely do maiden and Gilmore, and the things are pretty much indestructible.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by aaronni
American standards are great guitars and will last a long time, but of course something like the EJ strat is generally a cut above the standards. They should last a longer time than the standards, I doubt today's standards will last as long as ones from the 50s and 60s.

AFAIK the main differences lie in the neck, flatter, 12 inch radius and a soft V profile. Great neck but it's all down to preference, the standard will be thinner. Have you looked at the specs list of each guitar? That will be the best way to compare. I'm sure FallsDownStairs will give a better list, he knows his EJ strats

I had researched the guitar and similiar guitars for months before buying, so yeah, I guess I do know a lot .

Anyways, here are the main differences I have found with the EJ strat:

It's pure quality. While you do pay for the artist's name and brand name, as I said you can pick them up for around $1000 used. I got mine for $1100. Now, if you've ever played a Gibson with the tad thicker necks, then you might like the EJ. I have huge hands, so it just fits so comfortably with me, like a match made in heaven. It has a soft V profile that slims down to a C as you go higher, while the radius is a pure 12", much like a Gibson. The playability in my opinion is very very smooth, I'm not sure if its because the neck is finished in nitro or not. Word of caution, some people have complained the neck is sticky due to the nitro, I assure you after you play it for a few weeks long and hard, and cleaning it, the stickyness goes away. The wiring of the EJ strat is that the tone knobs affect only the neck and bridge. You can roll off the trebles off of those, so really I like to think of it as a Gibson in a strat body in terms of a lot of the specifications. The pickups are a bit hotter to handle distortion better than the typical pickups, and played through some Mesas and standard Fenders and Marshalls, I've pulled everything from Jazz to some hard rock and some metal. Depends on your definition of metal. I've played Maiden on it, I've played PG, Satriani, EJ, Hendrix, SRV, Wes Montgomery, Albert Lee, etc etc on my EJ strat.

The block on the trem is the same type from what I read and noticed that they use on custom shops and on the older guitars from the 50s and 60s. Has a bone nut, quartersawn neck (You can find some with a pretty dominant flame to it) and the body is finished in nitro. However, I have emailed Fender and had confirmation, no guitar coming from Fender in this time period is finished in true nitro. The body of any nitro finished Fender out today (50s and 60s had true nitro) have a thin poly coat under the nitro. The contours are deeper, and I have felt more comfort when playing on the higher frets compared to my MIM.

Also, there is no string tree. They adjusted the neck to have a slight angle to eliminate this and use staggered vintage Kluson tuners. Definitely helps keep it in tune, and I've found its easier to do bends on the 12" radius compared to my MIM's (possibly the MIA standard's also) radius of 9.25".

Quote by kLinic

I haven't seen a need for 22 frets. If it bothers you, then don't get it. You could also always buy another guitar with 22 frets along with an EJ. You become used to the 21 fret restriction, as my guitar teacher used to use a 22 fret Telecaster and a 24 fret RG, and quickly got used to the 21 fret restriction.

Also supposedly, some of the earlier ('05) models were made in custom shop. Some people say the models with the 6 digit number (factory mess up) were the ones made in the custom shop, along with some of the ones before the factory mess up. So really, the EJ strat is probably the closest production strat you'll get that's on par with custom shop quality.

Also, to add to your list of guitars to try out, the Dave Murray strat, if you're looking for pure versatility.
Definately decided on the strat. But I found another strat at guitar center...

http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss285/klinics_mashed_beans/1991%20Strat/

It's a 1991 Strat Plus. More pictures in the photobucket album. It's either that or a 2008 American Standard which I would have to get ordered in. I'd still play it to make sure that the ordered in one was up to scratch and make sure there were no flaws.

I've played the 91 strat, and it felt pretty good. The neck just didn't feel quite as slippery and fast as the 08 Strats that I've played though. But it has locking tuners, some weird nut thing and some (apparently) better pickups then stock Fender ones. They're Lace Sensor ones I believe. It was a bit hard to make the name out on the pick ups though as they were a bit faded. Along with that it has a little bit of rust on the bridge which I'm not the keenest on. And it comes with some vintage tweed case.

What do you think? Where would I be getting better quality? I don' have pics of the New American one because I haven't got them to order it. And keep in mind that I would still play it and check it over thoroughly to make sure that it was in tip top shape.
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Quote by kLinic
Definately decided on the strat. But I found another strat at guitar center...

http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss285/klinics_mashed_beans/1991%20Strat/

It's a 1991 Strat Plus. More pictures in the photobucket album. It's either that or a 2008 American Standard which I would have to get ordered in. I'd still play it to make sure that the ordered in one was up to scratch and make sure there were no flaws.

I've played the 91 strat, and it felt pretty good. The neck just didn't feel quite as slippery and fast as the 08 Strats that I've played though. But it has locking tuners, some weird nut thing and some (apparently) better pickups then stock Fender ones. They're Lace Sensor ones I believe. It was a bit hard to make the name out on the pick ups though as they were a bit faded. Along with that it has a little bit of rust on the bridge which I'm not the keenest on. And it comes with some vintage tweed case.

What do you think? Where would I be getting better quality? I don' have pics of the New American one because I haven't got them to order it. And keep in mind that I would still play it and check it over thoroughly to make sure that it was in tip top shape.
I actually played a red American Strat from the early 90's that had lace sensors too the other day. What an awesome sounding guitar.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by kLinic
Cool man, thanks a lot. I'd noticed the trend in strat like guitars too. Definately something I'm interested in. Love to try out Gadow, but buying online isn't an option because I REALLY need to try the feel of the guitar. And I highly doubt they will have any obscure brands in any of the guitar stores here in Brisbane. If I ever find one I willl definately give it a try though.

Ah sorry didn't realize you weren't in the US, I gotta be more careful about it. The Suhr and Anderson you can probably find and they are just ridiculously nice IMO. I been thinking about this and if you want to do shred (read: higher gain) you may like a humbucker equipped strat which is pretty easy to find in some sort of fashion. I also agree that you really need to play it. Don't be afraid to look outside of Strats too. If you have the cash a PRS is worth a look. They have really comfy necks, despite the big heel. The 25" scale is kinda the best of both worlds (24.75in vs 25.5in) The order I prioritize when shopping is feel, then sound, and last looks. Of course money is always the all deciding factor but there are a lot of good instruments in that price range. Luck to ya.