Are there any perfect pitch-ers in MT?

I'm very interested in learning how each note sounds. I can if i play them one after the other, but does anyone have any tips on identifying these notes if they're randomly thrown at you? I know that's a huge question to ask, but any tips on where to start could be of help. Cheers.
I don't have perfect pitch, but I find simply familiarising yourself with certain notes is very helpful. One time I was playing piano and I played a note and the 5th above it. Pretty generic really, but it immediately caught my attention, I recognised it as the same notes at the start of a song I used to listen to a lot. I quickly checked and it turned out I was right, those were the notes. Obviously I became so familiar with those notes that I can recognise them in music now.
If you don't have it already, you'll never have it.

That's okay though, perfect pitch is not needed, or even desirable imho.
That's not true - you can acquire perfect pitch.

It just a huge misconception that you have to be born with perfect pitch in order to have it, simply because its F**KING HARD to train you ear.

I read an article in a guitar magazine a long while back about someone who was selling a system to teach yourself perfect pitch... it has a lot to do with recognizing 'colours', so to speak, of sounds/notes. Technically you are just recognizing the frequency of the sound waves, but if you assign colours to each note, and they retain their basic 'sound colour' no matter what octave, then its a good start in recognizing notes.

Mind you this will take a lot of practice... I'm kind of summing up the magazine article/ad very poorly from memory, but I'm sure you can google something about this guys DVD set on how to train perfect pitch.

Maybe if I'm lucky I'll have enough time to search through the mags myself and actually reference my post.
-Meph, a member of GTA Junkies
I have it. Not 100% perfect, but I can easily guess most single notes and chords without needing a progression. I don't have any tip though, you just need to practice and learn a lot of songs by ear. I have learnt over 100 songs by ear, and I use tabs only when there are fast solos where I can't hear the single notes properly.
Last edited by Poglia at Oct 15, 2009,
Do you mean relative pitch or perfect pitch?
Relative pitch is after being given one note you can say what the next is. Perfect pitch is someone can just go 'la' and you can say 'that's a slightly flat A' given no context.

here's a good test of learning relative pitch http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id90_en.html

to learn perfect pitch simply learn a song really well until you can sing the first note of it pretty reliably, then have really good relative pitch. It's not quite the same but it does close to the same job for most people.
Adding onto what Memphis32 said, many great classical musicians associated colours with different notes.

I'm aware of Rimsky-Korsakov and Scriabin associating almost the exact same colours with each note. They disagreed ever so slightly on one or two though.
Even if you can train for perfect pitch, which I assume you can, you are going to have to spend a massive amount of time training to recognize all of the pitches. Seems like it's more time effective to learn relative pitch. It's still going to take a while, but not as long as training for perfect pitch. If you have really good relative pitch, I don't think you are far behind someone with perfect pitch in terms of what you can do as a musician. You might have to hear a note to ground yourself, but who cares. You can still transcribe and create music, hear chord progressions, etc. It just seems like you are setting yourself up for a tough road if you set out to develop perfect pitch. That time could be better spent developing relative pitch and using the excess time to create music, learn your instrument, etc.
What doive said. Perfect pitch is generally a talent that you are born with or kinda learn as you grow up. Like talking. Relative pitch can be learned tho
I hate my sig
I dont have perfect pitch but I can usually tell you the first note played :P not always right on the octive though lol.
id say dont even worry about it. most good musicians dont have it. good relative pitch is what you really need. as long as you can stay in key, you dont really need perfect pitch. and from what i hear from people who claim to have it, its a pain in the ass because you know every little notes thats out by a little bit and it bugs you. music doesnt have to be 100% in tune anyway.