Hi All,

I'm currently running a tiny terror into a 2*12 orange cab but want to increase "loudness" during solos. I thought I could do this with a boss GE7 but really all this does is overload the preamp and create more distortion making everything feed back. I want the same tone but "louder". The only solution I can imagine is one that comes between amp and cab but I dont know what kind of unit would be able to match these impedences and levels.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Adam
Ernie Ball volume pedal?

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
DON'T put anything between the amp and cab, the only way is to boost the preamp
Thirded on volume or EQ in the FX loop, but let me ask...how were you using the GE7? Describe how you arranged your sliders.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Thanks for the replies,

Unfortunately the tiny terror doesn't have an "fx loop". Any fx have to be added in between your guitar and input on the amp. An ernie ball volume boost will have the same effect as the GE7 but without the EQ.

I have set up the GE7 with a 5db boost at 1k and about a 3 db boost at 3k with a 5 db overall output boost. I have the tiny terror set quite crunchy anyway (we sound Kinda like The Datsuns) so more gain doesn't help too much. I need a substantial overall volume boost that doesn't affect the tone.

Maybe i'm asking too much from a single channel amp. I just thought there had to be something that could add gain post amp that was designed specifically for those levels and impedences.

cheers

Adam
Have you thought about only slightly boosting the mids on the GE-7? 5dB, depending on the gain structure up to that point, can be a huge since dB is a relative term of measurement. Try tweaking your GE-7, start with it flat. Then ever so slightly (I'm talking in increments of "barely at all") raise the mid freqs and engage and disengage to see the difference. It may not work, but it may work, and it's worth a shot. Also, don't output gain boost at all. Just boost the mids, which should give you enough to "boost." If you pull up on the output gain, you're overdriving the ENTIRE signal chain, not just the frequencies, so not only have you pumped up 1k and 3k, 5dB, but now you've bumped the entire gain structure 5dB on top of that...that's a lot of extra gain.

Of course, an alternative is to, instead of boosting the mids, keep the freqs flat, and ever so slightly boost the output gain in the same manner to see the effect, but I prefer a mid boost to cut through a mix.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by BaffAttack at Oct 15, 2009,
You should be able to get the desired result using an eq. If you can't, look for a footswitchable attenuator to go between the amp & speaker.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
if you've already hit saturated distortion, i'm not sure you're going to really get it much louder... that's kinda what distortion is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Volume pedal or EQ pedal in the effects loop is what your looking for.

no FX loop on TT's.

the Volume pedal would be a ok option. Eq pedal with the volume up just a little bit on it?

one of these? http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/BBE-Boosta-Grande-Clean-Boost-Effect-Pedal?sku=157037

either way its going to boost your preamp signal

EDIT: THIS \/

Quote by kyle62
Here's a hint: set the EQ in such a way that you turn the pedal off for a solo boost instead
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Oct 15, 2009,
i don't think a volume pedal would work, most of them are passive.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by kyle62
Here's a hint: set the EQ in such a way that you turn the pedal off for a solo boost instead

this. i've never really thought of this before, but it sounds like a really good idea.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
I'm lovin the turnin the eq pedal off for solo idea! Gonna try that at the next opportunity! So no one knows of a piece of kit that slots in between amp and cab for a volume boost? Might get my inventors hat on and audition for dragon's den!
thanks all!
would that EQ thing really work, though? it's going to work like a boost (ok, a boost backwards), and again if you're already into saturated distortion, you're going to get a distortion boost, not a volume boost, surely?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If the EQ is run in the loop, you could adjust the output of the pedal to boost the overall volume of the amp, as you'd be adjusting the whole preamp, not just guitar signal. But that's not possible without modding the TT.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
yeah, that's what i meant, the TT has no loop
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think you should get it modded, fx loops are essential. I have always had them, but I have also always had solid state, so take the next comment with a grain of salt or whatever that saying is.

You could just boost the mids a little? If all you need is to be able to come out of the mix more, I've found a bit of mids and highs is the best way to do it.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Seymour Duncan pickup boost is a volume boost.... I tried it last sunday, but its very transparent
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Gotta love how 3/4 of the replies have no idea how preamp saturation works, much less that that's the problem you're trying to avoid. Unfortunately, without a footswitchable attenuator, which I haven't seen before (Though it's likely theyre out there and I just have yet to see one) or adding an FX loop (which might be easier due to the simplicity of the TT, or harder due to the smaller chassis) I can't give you any more suggestions.
yeah, exactly. all these guys mentioning volume boosts and the like don't seem to realise that it's only going to be a volume boost going into a pristinely clean amp, well below the onset of clipping.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?