hi,
as a future project, i may look at putting some LEDs into my peavey 6505+ head (when grill mod is completed), does anyone know

1) how to do it
2) if its very hard to do?

I did this a while back. Cost me about $7.00. Get yourself some 12VDC lights, and wire them to a 12VDC wall wart converter. You can get the power required from the inside of your amp, but that will mean tapping into your circuit, which can create noise and other problems.
As pointed out above, it's rather easy if you forgo trying to wire it in to the existing power of the amp. And advisable, since as he put it, it can really cause noise issues, especially if you don't know what you're doing. LEDs don't draw much, but that doesn't mean that extra circuitry doesn't create unexpected and unwanted interference.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Aw man i read the title thinking you wanted to put LEDs in your head head.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by Matt420740

I did this a while back. Cost me about $7.00. Get yourself some 12VDC lights, and wire them to a 12VDC wall wart converter. You can get the power required from the inside of your amp, but that will mean tapping into your circuit, which can create noise and other problems.

Totally off topic, but dude, do you have pics of that V I see hanging?

I never saw the "Rhoads v" with that finish.

I have a black one myself, but that one looks awesome.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Totally off topic, but dude, do you have pics of that V I see hanging?

I never saw the "Rhoads v" with that finish.

I have a black one myself, but that one looks awesome.

Here ya go. I built this one myself

Quote by Matt420740
Here ya go. I built this one myself

damn, that looks awesome.

I saw a lot of natural finishes in my life, but the dark tint of this one is just perfect on my eyes.

I'm really eager to get a guitar with such a finish.

What wood did you use, and how did you do the finish.

Once again my sincere apologies for going offtopic.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Matt420740

whats a wall wart converter? lol does that mean id need to plug in another powerpoint?
Quote by xxdarrenxx
damn, that looks awesome.

I saw a lot of natural finishes in my life, but the dark tint of this one is just perfect on my eyes.

I'm really eager to get a guitar with such a finish.

What wood did you use, and how did you do the finish.

Once again my sincere apologies for going offtopic.

I used Alder for the body. The finish is a Red Mahogany stain, then a few coats of clear. There are a few vids of the build on my youtube channel if you want to see more.
Quote by jamesy_pwd
whats a wall wart converter? lol does that mean id need to plug in another powerpoint?

A wall-wart is one of those boxes on the end of a power cord you plug into the wall. Effects pedals use them, and so do a LOT of other devices. You need to find one that has 12V output.
Just like this - http://cgi.ebay.com/12V-DC-1000mA-CCTV-POWER-ADAPTER-Security-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ180359589973QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item29fe44f055

Chances are you'll be able to find one of these around your house.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Oct 15, 2009,
oohh right. i have one of those lying around, im in australia though.. so its all different connections nd stuff yeah? also, where can i purchase LED like that from? and are they easy to install and all that?
Quote by jamesy_pwd
oohh right. i have one of those lying around, im in australia though.. so its all different connections nd stuff yeah? also, where can i purchase LED like that from? and are they easy to install and all that?

You can get 12VDC lights at an auto parts store. I bought mine at Auto Zone. Just a little blue neon 12V light. It was made to plug into a cigarette lighter. I cut the plug off the end, and wired it straight into the wall wart.

You'd probably be able to find them other places besides Auto parts stores. Ebay probably has plenty of choices.

Edit: The light I bought had sticky tape on it, so installing was as simple as sticking it in the amp.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Oct 15, 2009,
hmmm, when i search for them on ebay, just big LED lights come up, such as under car neons lol. cant find any of those small ones.... hmm
Quote by jamesy_pwd
hmmm, when i search for them on ebay, just big LED lights come up, such as under car neons lol. cant find any of those small ones.... hmm

Just keep looking. Heres a few on e-bay. This guy has these in several colors, but there are many more types on there - http://cgi.ebay.com/RED-24cm-Flexible-24-LED-Strip-Grill-Light-Waterproof_W0QQitemZ390105741564QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad41d38fc
Ohhhh sorry! i was looking for the wrong thing, i was searching for individual lights LOL. yeah that was great failage by me, thanks a bunch, so just to double check, where its got the cig lighter adaptor you cut off the lighter plug and solder it onto the wall wart?
Quote by kyle62

yup, thats what i thought
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by jamesy_pwd
so just to double check, where its got the cig lighter adaptor you cut off the lighter plug and solder it onto the wall wart?

Yep. Easy as pie. Just remember the tip of the cigarette plug is hot, and the sides are ground.
do you know if there is any type of like.... splitter type things, so i can have half the cable hanging out the back of my amp, and then connect up an adaptor type thing that 1) extends the cable 2) the wall wart is then seperate? if you kinda get what i mean
Here's what I got and they work great. Just get a DC converter as mentioned and plug it into your power strip. Wiring one permanently to your amps power is tedious and can be dangerous and noisy. PM me if you need more info.

I didn't 'mount' mine inside the head it just sits in the back to look cool.

that being said, couldnt you just wire it into your amps status light? dont see why that wouldnt work...
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
I realllllly want to do this now. I want to take the front face off the 5150, leave the logo and the grill. However I think the one you posted 311ZOSOVHJH is a bit too big.
-Gear-
Mesa Triple Rectifier---Bogner/Line6 SpiderValve---Orange PPC 4x12

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-
Alesis MidiVerb4--BBE SonicMaximizer 442--Ibanez TS9
Boss DD-3--Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470
^nah, it just looks big in that pic. It should fit inside a 5150 with no problem. Check out other options they have on their site. They shipped it fast to and answered my questions immediately.

I'm not an electrician so I can't speak to whether or not you can wire it to the amp status light. I suppose it would have to do with how many volts it draws.
what?
LED in my head....

no sir,i dont want to drill a hole into my skull,jam 9v batteries and crap in there and glue the LED to my skin
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
I did to my amps.

Got the stuff from here http://www.leddistributors.net/ or somewhere else, like radio shack, walmart, auto zone, etc.

DC Coaxial Jack
2.5 mm pin x 5.5 mm (ID)

24 Gauge
Stranded Wire

Power Supply
100 to 240 VAC to 12 VDC

And the LED strip, they have different colors.

All you do is solder the (- and +) to the strip and the coaxial jack, and you are good to go.
Quote by Kanthras
Since there is no such thing as perfect tone, and every rig has differences (however slight they may be), I hereby declare this claim as bullshit.
I want to take the front face off of my 5150 to make it look like the Bugera. Do I need to take the chasiss out to do that?
-Gear-
Mesa Triple Rectifier---Bogner/Line6 SpiderValve---Orange PPC 4x12

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-
Alesis MidiVerb4--BBE SonicMaximizer 442--Ibanez TS9
Boss DD-3--Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470
Quote by thedekker
that being said, couldnt you just wire it into your amps status light? dont see why that wouldnt work...

The pilot light on tube amps usually runs on heater voltage. You don't want to mess with that circuit or your asking for noise.
^^nice job on the legacy! looks great
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
hopefully this thread isn't too ancient by now but how would i do this with a Peavey JSX?

I wanna put a red led strip in it. Is all i have to do- open the back, attach a red Led strip behind the grill (from the top or bottom) and have a 12VDC attached through the back?