alright so i have been playing guitar for about a year now. and one of my strings recently broke. (i have a fender cd-40) and i was just wondering if there is a sertain type of string i should buy? (the G string broke)
Oh god Yui

You should replace them about every few months at least...Try custom lights. Usually they're the most common one in the shop.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Christ your strings must be in horrible condition
My advice is try some Ernie Ball Super Slinkys if you don't have extremely strong fingers, or if you want to build up a bit of strength, try some Regular Slinkys
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
As said before, Ernie Ball Slinkys are the best way to go, my preferred strings actually.

And yes, change them every few months. It does wonders, especially if your strings are rusted to high hell, which I can imagine they are by this point.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Last edited by ZeroCS at Oct 15, 2009,
Quote by Yngwi3
Christ your strings must be in horrible condition
My advice is try some Ernie Ball Super Slinkys if you don't have extremely strong fingers, or if you want to build up a bit of strength, try some Regular Slinkys

i agree with this guy
Honestly... it really doesn't matter at this point in your playing. Any strings will do; try to find something around $5 and if you like them go back buy a 12 pack to save some cash. Change them whenever they start to sound dead (or you run your finger along the high E and feel lots of grime).

DONT get suckered into buying anything like Cleartone or Elixir strings. The D-Bags at guitar center love to push those on people who just don't know any better.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Slinky's are good. I have recently been using Dunlop Standard Electric medium (10 gauge) strings which I have been liking.
Budget?
Location?
Willing to buy used?
Gigging or practice?
Genres?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^ how can you use used strings?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
If you've only been playing a year string brand doesnt much matter At this point, just go with the cheaper strings, Ernie Balls, D’Addario’s etc. The fancy “titanium coated” or whatever they are don’t really perform that much better, especially having only been playing a year you’re not gonna notice a big difference and its just more money. Don’t get the “First Act” strings though, they’re not good. You’re probably gonna want .09’s or .10’s if you’re playing in standard tunings. I’d say don’t listen to everyone else saying change your strings every few month, to me it just seems like pissing money out the window, if you still think they sound good leave them on as long as you want. I generally only change mine when they break. Personally I prefer the tone of worn-in strings to that of brand new ones, but that’s just me
get some dunlop strings 10's for standard tuning and 11's for half step down
they last longer and dont break, i also recommend dunlop 65 ultra glide string cleaner
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Nickel-Plated-Steel-Electric-Guitar-Strings-Medium-Heavy-?sku=100932
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Ultraglide-65-String-Conditioner-Cleaner?sku=425266
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.