Hi!
I just read through the recording faq and have some questions

1. My musicstore are selling off some amplifiers with 20% bargain, I have thought for a long time of buying one of these ( they are tube amps approx 550 bucks)

2. I have also instead thought of buying a DI box and audio interface to record since I dont gig that often, I do like the direct input more than the microphone based one

I am more interested buying the tube amp and use the line out on the amp to the audio interface in my computer. Then I still need to buy both the amp+ AI

The other way is buying a DI box and a AI

What do you think?
sweden on tour
Quote by guskarlw
Hi!
I just read through the recording faq and have some questions

1. My musicstore are selling off some amplifiers with 20% bargain, I have thought for a long time of buying one of these ( they are tube amps approx 550 bucks)

2. I have also instead thought of buying a DI box and audio interface to record since I dont gig that often, I do like the direct input more than the microphone based one

I am more interested buying the tube amp and use the line out on the amp to the audio interface in my computer. Then I still need to buy both the amp+ AI

The other way is buying a DI box and a AI

What do you think?

Most tube amps don't have a line out. The few that do, only run through the pre-amp section. So that means its not going to sound the same as if it was run through the power tubes. Your best bet is a mic and interface if your going to record a tube amp.
You worded that a little confusingly...
But if I understand you correctly then I'd suggest getting the amp and AI and use the direct out from the amp until you can save for a decent mic. Imo that would be the best sounding setup.

Quote by Matt420740
Most tube amps don't have a line out. The few that do, only run through the pre-amp section. So that means its not going to sound the same as if it was run through the power tubes. Your best bet is a mic and interface if your going to record a tube amp.

at recording and most reasonable playing volumes, power tubes amplify the sound quite cleanly so really the lack of speaker would make a bigger difference than the lack of power tubes. To overdrive the power tubes he would have to either use an attenuator or crank it to unholy levels. Really that's not the part I would worry about.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Oct 15, 2009,
Okey thanks!
The amps I am to choose between are a line 6 spider valve and a peavey bandit 112
sweden on tour
But wouldnt the tube version spider valve sound better overall? At least it got much better reviews and scores in the review section

Most modelling line 6 spiders had 8.5, the valve had 9.3 something
sweden on tour