Hello people,

Today I was doing an exercise that I have seen on a video lesson. Basically it's the blues scale played on four different positions. On the first two I used alternate picking:

|---------------|---------------|
|-----------0-2-|-------------2-|
|-----0-1-2-----|---------2-5---|
|-0-3-----------|-0-3-5-6-------|
  D U D U D U D   D U D U D U D
But on the last two I can't seem to play alternate. Even at low speed, it's automatic for me to play this:

|-----------5-7-|-----0-----5-7-|
|-0-3-5-6-7-----|-0-3---6-7-----|
  D U D U [B][U]D D[/U][/B] U   D U D U [B][U]D D[/U][/B] U
I really don't know why. Should I force my hand to play alternate starting at very low speed, or it's ok to play that way? The teacher on the video lesson uses strict alternate.
Hmm well if you slow it down and find the point whats bothering you ,it must be the change from the 7th fret E string to the 5th fret A string. Mayve its because your using your pinky finger then changing quickly to your index or middle finger. Focus on this part ,just go from the E to A string up and down. Or like you said just go really slow and speed up.
Or you could change how your fingering this lick ,instead of using all four fingers spread out, you could hit the open and 3rd fret ,then move your hand along and play the 5th,6th and 7th frets with your 1st,2nd and 3rd fingers.
Or just ignore your teacher lol.
Quote by Joe310707
Hmm well if you slow it down and find the point whats bothering you ,it must be the change from the 7th fret E string to the 5th fret A string. Mayve its because your using your pinky finger then changing quickly to your index or middle finger. Focus on this part ,just go from the E to A string up and down. Or like you said just go really slow and speed up.
Or you could change how your fingering this lick ,instead of using all four fingers spread out, you could hit the open and 3rd fret ,then move your hand along and play the 5th,6th and 7th frets with your 1st,2nd and 3rd fingers.
Or just ignore your teacher lol.

I'm pretty sure he's using a pick

Just slow it down some more, keep practicing until you get it. It takes a bit of patience, unfortunately.
What you are doing is called 'economy picking'. I also pick the way you are, because it seems more natural. If you were to uppick the d string, then you would have to 'go over' the string and do an up pick. This is uneconomical as you are wasting time performing this action.
Yngwie Malmsteen as well as others use the economy picking approach you are experiencing, so dont think you are alone.
To be honest, economy picking and pure alternate picking sound a bit different, so choose which way you want to play by finding out which one sounds the best for you.

EDIT: meant A string
Last edited by x5_spoonman at Oct 15, 2009,
Looks like you're uncomfortable with 'outside picking'.

If it was me, i would force myself to use strict alternate - it will only benefit you in the end.
Quote by x5_spoonman
What you are doing is called 'economy picking'. I also pick the way you are, because it seems more natural. If you were to uppick the d string, then you would have to 'go over' the string and do an up pick. This is uneconomical as you are wasting time performing this action.
Yngwie Malmsteen as well as others use the economy picking approach you are experiencing, so dont think you are alone.
To be honest, economy picking and pure alternate picking sound a bit different, so choose which way you want to play by finding out which one sounds the best for you.

EDIT: meant A string
I know it's economy, but it's strange that my hand want to do it only on that particular point and not always. I think I'll practice strict alternate or strict economy.
yeah dont worry about it ,just takes strict practice. I used to and still do find it hard to ascend up the neck two notes at a time alternate picking ,just something my hand hates but I just keep working on it.