So pit i want to join a jazz ensemble but i do not know where to start to go about thsi , any ideas? i'd like to be either a comping guitarist or the lead i will settle for either , and i do not mind the style of jazz. Who should i contact to arrange this?
Research existing jazz ensembles in your area, ask if they need members/get some contacts.
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
1. There isn't a "lead" guitar in jazz. You're a rhythm section instrument and you'll play whatever the music deals you.

2. "Craigs"list, not "Kreigs"list.

3. Craigslist or the UG Musician Ads could help. You need to figure out if you want to join a Big Band or Combo.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
A big band is usually a rhythm section + a few trumpets, saxophones, trombones, and maybe some other instrumentation. It's a big group, around 20 people or so, and usually lead by a band leader. It's more set around written pieces.

A combo consists usually of a drummer, bassist, pianist, guitarist, and a horn or two of some type. Combos usually play a lot of "head charts" out of a real book, where a head melody is played then each player takes a few choruses of solos.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
^Ahhh, gotta love the Real Books. Yeah I'd say check around town and see if there are any existing groups that could use a guitarist.

Oh and make sure you know your seventh chords like the back of your hand.
Quote by professorlamp
So pit i want to join a jazz ensemble but i do not know where to start to go about thsi , any ideas? i'd like to be either a comping guitarist or the lead i will settle for either , and i do not mind the style of jazz. Who should i contact to arrange this?

LOL jazz guitarists have to do both comping and lead playing.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Get on Facebook and contact all your musically inclined friends.

Also, go through your school and tell them to meet at the local community centre or something.

It's not hard.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society