Ok, I'd just like to ask, is it possible to use a combo amp as a head, plugging it into a speaker cab (Whether this means it will use the cab's speakers or both, I don't know?)

My second question is, would this improve the quality of the sound (assuming the speaker cab has better speakers for the tone you want) and will this make it any louder?

Finally, I have to report that, although I have discussed it already with Gabel and some others, I am unable to get the 18 watt Valvepower head. I asked my parents, and they said that £300 was too much for an amp head, being that I would still need a cab as well.

I am still trying to get the head actually, if I can save enough by that time to help buy it. However if I cannot, could anyone reccomend a valve combo/head and cab that I could get for under £300, Which will be good for the divine tones of such groups as Led Zeppelin (80% of what I play is Zeppelin) Deep Purple, Rolling Stones, Guns N Roses, AC DC...you get the idea, classic rock.

My final question is, I've been thinking maybe the Vox Valvetronix AD30, AD50 or AD100:

If I used a Marshall Guv'nor pedal with the valvetronix (it is a modelling amp, so I don't know whether it recieves pedals too well) would I be able to get the tone I'm looking for? Also (sorry if this sounds stupid) could it make single coils sound like humbuckers?

Thanks, and I'm sorry I've asked so many questions, but thanks!
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
1) Yes, as long as it has a speaker out. NOT HEADPHONE! Headphone is a passive signal, whereas line out is active.
2) Assuming it has better speakers, yes.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
What kind of amp has a speaker out? Is that on the back? I've never encountered an amp like that?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

My combo has one. It runs 8 ohms @ 15w.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by Eurozeppelin
What kind of amp has a speaker out? Is that on the back? I've never encountered an amp like that?

Amp heads and larger combos have them, they are almost always on the back

and the combo in question can be made to have an speaker output quite easily, though this would disable the internal speaker.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Oct 15, 2009,
ok thanks alot guys! Is there anyone who can answer my other questions? perhaps reccomend an amp for me, or half stack under £300?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Well as you said you can't get the Valvepower, get this. It's less than £200 and sounds GREAT. Also comes with a pwoer scale, so you can crank it easily.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I may yet get the valvepower, Gabel. I can't find a sound better for what I like than the 18 watter, and I'm still trying to come up with the extra money. Many thanks fir your suggeston though, if I can't get the valvepower, it will be that!
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Quote by Eurozeppelin
I may yet get the valvepower, Gabel. I can't find a sound better for what I like than the 18 watter, and I'm still trying to come up with the extra money. Many thanks fir your suggeston though, if I can't get the valvepower, it will be that!

Yeah, that Vox is basically a poor man's 18 watter.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Sorry, Gabel, I've just watched another video of the Vox Ac4Tv, and it appears to have a speaker out on the back? Does this mean it can be used in place of an amp head, with a speaker cab?

Also, just to clarify, would this give me the Zeppelin tone that I'm looking for, cause I reckon I'm looking for pretty high treble, but does the mao have a treble control?

Thanks
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Just get the Vox AC4 head?

Also, I got my ValvePower today, nails all those bands, except it would need a boost for GNR
no it prbly wont give you the zeppelin tone cuz there is no zeppelin tone. Jimmy page used a different sound on pretty much every song and just about every tube amp can get you at least one.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
yeah, only thing is, I think it woule be useful for home use to be able to use it without the added volume?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Quote by brownsfan456
no it prbly wont give you the zeppelin tone cuz there is no zeppelin tone. Jimmy page used a different sound on pretty much every song and just about every tube amp can get you at least one.
Well I played Heartbreaker and it nailed it.
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Sorry, Gabel, I've just watched another video of the Vox Ac4Tv, and it appears to have a speaker out on the back? Does this mean it can be used in place of an amp head, with a speaker cab?

Also, just to clarify, would this give me the Zeppelin tone that I'm looking for, cause I reckon I'm looking for pretty high treble, but does the mao have a treble control?

Thanks

Yes it has a speaker out. There is also a head though. But the 10" combo is really good.

I know what tone you want. I only recommend amps that fit you. It would be great. A Blackheart Little Giant might be a bit better, but it lacks a power scale and unless you buy an attenuator, it's going to be too loud for home use. The Vox has a really good tone control by the way.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Ok I went to my local guitar shop yesterday (It's called Reverb, it's in Bristol) and I tried an AC4TV.

I thought it was pretty damn good! I played it witha Jim Deacon Les Paul, which I'm also considering buying having tried one, and again with a Fender Mex telecaster, then with a Fender Mex strat.

Those guitars were awesome! The real Fender strat was SO much more comfortable to play than my Encore copy, I really wanted to take it home, but of course, I was getting carried away, (It's £389)

Anyway, I couldn't afford the AC4TV at Reverb, as it is quite an expensive shop, and I've been looking for them second hand as well.

Anyway, as I go on with my quest for one, I'd just like to ask, is there any way for me to quiet down my amps for use in my home, especially larger ones. I have a friend who owns a AVT150H (I'm pretty sure that's what head he has) and a 4x12 Marshall cab. He blows our eardrums out with it, so can you give me any advice for him as well?

Finally, can anyone give their opinions on Jim Deacon Les Pauls and strats? Thanks,
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

I love my VOX AD series amp and don't think I'll be parting with it anytime soon.

It seems to take pedals very well so no issues there. I love the built in effects but tweaking them is kind of a pain in the butt.

I've literally owned every modeler on the market (all the way back to the original Johnson J-Station) and the technology keeps getting better. Lately I've been very impressed by the quality of the Peavey Vypyr. Great tones out of those amps and they should also be worth a look.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Right well, I'd like to come to a final decision. I'd like to keep this under £200 preferably now, but I'm looking for an amp, preferably a larger combo maybe that has all the following factors:

- a Great Led Zeppelin Tone

- Takes Pedals well

- Relatively mobile (If I'm going to buy a half stack, maybe a 2x12 cab rather than a 4x12?)

- Loud enough to play the assembly hall at my school, but also hopefully able to achieve good practice tones at home for practice, to keep the peace with the neighbours,

- Preferably all tube

- Try to keep at £200 or below, can take to £300 maybe at a stretch!

Ok, well bearing these factors in mind, I've got a few ideas, most fo them recommended on this thread

Amps:

Vox Valvetronix AD30VT/AD50VT/AD100VT

Vox AC4TV

Marshall JCM 800/2000/JTM Combo (second hand)

Blackheart Little Giant

Peavey Windsor (I recently got a suggestion froma youtuber who owns one, telling me I can buy an EQ pedal which allows me to reduce the volume, put keep the crunch. He also tells me that I could remove some of the valves to make it into a 50 watt or something? I've never heard of this done)

Marshall VS100R Head and Cab (£150 on my local paper, I've been advised this is the best Valvestate head)

Marshall Lead and Bass head:

This looks like a bargain...I might be wrong

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshall-100-Watt-Lead-Bass-Amp-Head_W0QQitemZ110447069939QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item19b7288af3

Cabs:

Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab

Marshall 1966A 2x12 (Like a shrunken 4x12)

Anyway, these are just the ideas of collated so far, but please help me to come to a final decision

Thanks,
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)