Well, Xmas is just'round the corner so I was wondering what I should ask my GF for. I've decided on a lovely little tube head+cab. Not sure which one to go for, though. The Epi Valve Jr, or the Vox AC4TV?

If i go for an Epi, I'll probly get the Harley Benton Epi Clone - They're supposed to the exact same (except for the added tone knob on the HB), so might as well save her some money.

They both (Epi & Vox) seem to do much the same thing, but the Vox seems to sound and look a bit nicer. Anyone played or owned both? Apart from the pricetag is there any real difference?

Any suggestions/alternatives are welcome.

Except for f*ck off and die. I hate that one...
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
The vox is stellar. I love mine.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by britishsligean
what is your budget?

It's not MY budger per se...

I wouldn't want her to spend any more than in or around the €300 mark. You can get the Vox head+cab with a speaker cable on musicstore.de for €320ish, if memory serves me correctly. I wouldn't like her to look at the used market though, she'd get absolutely robbed by someone who'd know straight off that she hasn't a clue.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by tr3nt
The vox is stellar. I love mine.

Yeah, I've heard nothing but great things.
Gear:

someone around here put up some clips on the Vox AC4TV and it sounded beyond awesome
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Cool. F*ck it. Still no bad reviews. I'll go with the VOX so. Thanks.
Gear:

Another Vox owner here, absolutely love mine. Can't compare it to the Valve Jr having not played it though.
what tones are you after, and does that 300 euro include the cab or not?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've played the Vox (in fact I plan on getting one once the riggormortis clears from my wallet and I can open it again!) and I can tell you it is a brilliant piece of kit - but I am a huge fan of that tone so am biased anyway.

To explain my opinion I would say that apart from the tone it is very well built and the 1/4 switch is a great addition. Sometimes you can fall foul of built in attenuators (although it's not an attenuator as such) but this one is great. It is ever so slightly muddier at this lower level and a touch, erm, well I suppose people would say darker but still great tone.

In my experience the Epi can be a bit of a noisy amp but still is a solid purchase to be honest. And if you prrepared to do so you can mod the hell out of it (replace transformers to Hammond, tweaks to chassis, speaker, etc).

Anyway, I reckon you'd be happy with both but I have no experience of that clone so can't comment.
I'd definitely get the VOX. I used to have an Epiphone Valve Junior...and it was cool to mod and play around with...but the VOX just blows it out of the water imo.
I'm saving up to purchase a Vox Night Train myself, I have yet to play a Vox amp that has disappointed me.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
the AC4TV is fantastic. - I just got my brother to buy one and he loves it
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
The Epi is very no-thrills, and without some pedals would be a very bland choice. I have heard some good things about the Vox, like everyone else is saying.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Vox for sure. The Epi really only gained alot of popularity because it was the only one on the market for awhile.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thanks for all the info. Think my mind is pretty much set on the Vox now. I'll get her to order it asap.
Gear: