SR BASS

I was wondering out of all the SR basses that ibanez makes which five-string would be the best to get. My budget is up to $800 and i play mostly rock and a little metal occasionally.
Probably the one closest to your budget.

That'll be the best for the price...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Probably the one closest to your budget.

That'll be the best for the price...

this.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
For $799.99 you can get a SR755.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR755-5String-Bass-Guitar?sku=500146

Closest to your budget, 5 string.

/thread.

Edit: CRAP! I was wrong.

You could also get a 655 with a Poplar Burl top.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR650PB-Bass-Guitar?sku=514555

You choose.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Last edited by Nutter_101 at Oct 15, 2009,
0_0
THEY REISSUED IT?!

you should definitely get the 655, I've played both, and that bass is quite spectacular.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

If your set on an SR I'd go for the 655. Is dead sexy and plays like a dream
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
well im not stuck on SR or even Ibanez but i thought that those would be good choices. and i was thinking about the 705 if thts any good??

And by the way 800 is my absolute max and only want to go that high if i really want to
Last edited by DFX11 at Oct 15, 2009,
I'll vouche for the Traben Array Limited (I have the 4 string version). Very solid bass, good sound, and having the eq is awesome, but you can do better with an $800 budget. The Ibanezes (still trying to figure out that plural), at least the SR705, and the previously mentioned high end SR's, are just going to be straight up higher quality.

Might I also suggest looking at the BTB series, or the ATK305?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Of those 3, the 705 would be the best choice - 3band EQ, better pickups.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Tostitos
I'll vouche for the Traben Array Limited (I have the 4 string version). Very solid bass, good sound, and having the eq is awesome, but you can do better with an $800 budget. The Ibanezes (still trying to figure out that plural), at least the SR705, and the previously mentioned high end SR's, are just going to be straight up higher quality.

Might I also suggest looking at the BTB series, or the ATK305?

i already have a Schecter Stilleto-4 and tht has a very similar body to the BTB series so im not so interested in tht but the atk's look nice and kinda cheap, any big negatives with those?
Last edited by DFX11 at Oct 15, 2009,
Dear god, go for the Ibanez 700 series. If you can live with the string spacing its an incredibly versatile bass. Like Ben said, it has 3 band EQ and you can dial in a tonal universe.
Ibanez.

very versatile and slick.

with the 3 band, you can even be punchy.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by anarkee
Dear god, go for the Ibanez 700 series. If you can live with the string spacing its an incredibly versatile bass. Like Ben said, it has 3 band EQ and you can dial in a tonal universe.

Ben hasn't posted in this thread yet!
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

OMG why is nutter Dr Phil!? Absolute mind****
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
okay so if im not stuck on ibanez at all what do u think the best would be for Hard Rock....like Trapt, Papa Roach, Breaking Benjamin?
As always I will recommend you look into ESP's, especially for hard rock. In you're price range you've got the surveyor which has a MM style bucker in the back and a soapbar in the front which gives you alot of versatility

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-SURVEYOR415-5String-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=620052

I will re advise you to look at the SR755, I own the 750 and plays like a dream, it looks amazing and has alot of tonal versatility.

Those are about the only 2 i recommend, though since I haven't demoed basses in a while my knowledge is a little lacking so their are probably some more options that I'm not aware of
The Ibanez are still amazing, but you could also check out the G&L Tribute L2500. Also look used, you could probably find a used Fender or Warwick
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Get The 655 Pb. I Own It And It Is The Sexiest And Most Awesome Bass Ever!!!!!!

edit: before people rage at me, may I add that this is only for the price range and style. There are other basses I like better, but they are wayyy more expensive.
"The bass player is the guy in the band that generally has the biggest penis" - Les Claypool
Quote by Raccio14
Get The 655 Pb. I Own It And It Is The Sexiest And Most Awesome Bass Ever!!!!!!

edit: before people rage at me, may I add that this is only for the price range and style. There are other basses I like better, but they are wayyy more expensive.

I will one day make my own tribute, I can't handle that tiny neck that much anymore.

but it looks and sounds great.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Well with $800 I'd get the SR706 because there's nothing a 5 string can do that a 6 can't...

Which is exactly $800. Which might be a bit of a turnoff.

You could buy a Fender V Standard Jazz for like $600, though... which would do hard rock and pretty much everything else great.
Well, there's no point for him to buy a 6 strings if he's never gonna use it, it's just going to be harder to play because of the wide neck

That's also why I have an SR 506 and a SR 705, I like the 6 strings for Dream Theater stuff for exemple, and the 5 strings for everything else

I have also a Yamaha RBX 4 strings, and I had a Ibanez BTB 5 strings, which I sold because of the string spacing way too wide, and the bass was heavy as hell, as well as an oversized body (well, since I'm used to SR bodies)

So I really love the SR series, light body, nice neck, nice electronics
I would get a BTB if you have (or can have) all that money, the 35" scale just keeps everything that little bit tighter and nicer to play. Unless you have tiny hands, though.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

my 655 PB does in fact have a 35 inch scale. It's hella nice.
"The bass player is the guy in the band that generally has the biggest penis" - Les Claypool