Hi all, I have tried recording stuff and it doesn't work at all. I am using a crappy webcam which isn't ideal, and for some reason recording produces latency so that whenever I add a backing track, the two tracks play at different speeds

Is there a reasonably cheap microphone/webcam that I can buy that will sound good when recording myself, and does anyone know of a sound card that will stop latency!

I do not know what my current sound card is, does anyone know how I can check without taking apart the computer

Also if anyone has any techniques for good recording quality, please let me know!

Also, my friend has a Line 6 Spider III 150W and connects the headphone jack on the amp to the microphone jack on his pc which seems to work very well, is there anything similar I can do with my Valveking?
If you wan't quality to record songs properly, i think you should spend at least hundred bucks for an interfacs.

Guitar Rig: Mobile is a graet one for 110 bucks.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB?sku=243007
USB interface with QUALITY (150 bucks)

if you got 200 bucks and have firewire inputs on your computer, you can't resist this sale
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FIREBOX-24bit96kHz-FireWire-Recording-System?sku=184133

i use Presonus and that's true quality

and for mic'ing i've heard Shure SM57 does well for amplifiers, but not for vocal. Condensers is grat for vocal. both of the presonus interfaces above supports both regular guitar cables and microphone (XLR). they even have phantom power for condensers.

A bonus tip to get good sound without MIC'ing your amp:
1. leave the CAB connected to your amp
2. connect the FX send to your interface/soundcard
3. use a convolver and IRs (www.recabi.net explains everything)
4. Enjoy
Last edited by GisleAune at Oct 15, 2009,
Thanks guys, couple more questions...

If I get the SM57 and Presonus USB Audiobox, will I be able to record without latency from the computer? Or will I need a new sound card. My current one is a Realtek AC97.

Also, how do I place the mic? Will I need a mic stand and place the pic directly infront of the amp?

And finally, what is the big difference between the SM57 and the PG57? Is the SM57 worth paying twice as much for?

Thanks guys
Last edited by Random3 at Oct 18, 2009,
The Audiobox will become your NEW soundcard once it's installed and you set it for ins and outs in your DAW and Windows SOUND control panel... then your onboard soundcard will be a moot point
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Thanks again guys.

One of my friends has suggested upgrading my soundcard to eliminate latency, and buying a USB mic, which would presumable mean I don't need the Presonus Audiobox. Is this a good idea? What exactly would using the Audiobox and an SM57 do that an upgraded soundcard and USB mic wouldn't? Thanks
The SM57 is pretty much THE mic when it comes to amp cabbing (from my limited experience anyway) set it up in front of your amp and put that through your soundcard if that's the way you wanna record.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
The SM57 is pretty much THE mic when it comes to amp cabbing (from my limited experience anyway) set it up in front of your amp and put that through your soundcard if that's the way you wanna record.

Ok cool, but is it worth twice as much as the PG57?

Also if anyone can answer my question a couple of posts up, it would be appreciated
Quote by Random3
Ok cool, but is it worth twice as much as the PG57?

Also if anyone can answer my question a couple of posts up, it would be appreciated

Yes it is. The PG is a cheap foriegn knock-off. Like Fender is to Squier.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
Remember that this Audiobox gives you the same quality sound-wise as the 500$ interfaces from Presonus. It can be also used with both dynamic mics and condenser mics.

So if you want an interface that gives you the true quality of the SM57s and other mics.

This will be your new soundcard, your computer treats that as a soundcard.
I use the PG series and the biggest differences seem to be in the isolations. the sm57s seem far less noising as far as picking up external vibrations go.. and if you're just going to leave it in the stand where it won't be moved this will be less of an issue anyway.

as far as the sound quality goes, i'm happy enough with the pg series. i haven't had an sm57 in my house long enough to really compare the differences. its likely the SM will hand the sounds pressure levels better than a PG if you're recording good and loud.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
If you want to record songs properly spend 10 years getting experience and hope you have excellent ears and judgement.

Get the SM57, all the PG range are shite. I have engineered a few live gigs where mics were short and had to use the bands pg58/57. The difference between my sm58's and PG58's is always astounding. Though SM57/8's are still only just good enough.

The audiobox does not give you anywhere near the same quality as $500 interfaces. It will be sufficient to record fine sounding recording though, if you work at it.

Recording without latency is impossible, though having low latency is relatively easy.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I'm not saying you should go this route but to answer your actual question, you COULD record the line out (or the effects loop send) of your valve king and use a cabinet impulse in your DAW. I emphasize could because it is something you would need to take the time to research as it isn't super straightforward.