I heard he has some weird technique of wrapping his guitar strings around the bridge? Can anyone explain this? Thanks!
Quote by ChangeMyName
I heard he has some weird technique of wrapping his guitar strings around the bridge? Can anyone explain this? Thanks!

Ah, the power of Google: Link
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
I believe he sort of makes his TOM tailpiece into a wrap around end piece. Instead of putting the strings through the hole going towards the neck, put the strings through the hole 'backwards' (Towards the end of the body), the wrap the strings around the bridge, so that you can string it.

Does that make sense?
It's said that it increases sustain, but whether or not you can actually hear it is debatable.
It also looks a bit cooler.
CRUSHING OVERDRIVE. tuning stability.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Well if they're wrapped over the top of the tailpiece then the string angle won't be as great, so I'd imagine that in theory you might get slightly more harmonic overtones but a smidgen less sustain?

I really can't think of any other reason to do this. Then again I suppose that the sustain could also be increased thanks to the 180 degree turn back into the stoptail.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Last edited by Baconfish at Oct 15, 2009,
Pinch harmonics then?
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
I always found that because the strings have less breaking angle over the saddle that it lessens the string tension and makes em feel slicker and easier to bend. I don't particularly like this because I prefer a bit of fight from the string (I play 11-58 in standard E!)

You can use bigger strings for higher tunings because of this too.

I don't like the fact that IMO you loose some of the tightness in the bass response and a little clarity, things muddy up a bit.
He does it because he used to break strings often when he would do his bends are wide vibrato.
I used to do this a long time ago. The strings will eventually dig into the tail piece and create sharp spots which was making my strings break all the time. Switched it back and I almost never break strings. It was fine for a little while but after about a year, they dug in pretty deep. I guess you would have to replace it every once in a while. I actually prefer the strings going over the top of it. I like how my hand sits on the higher strings but I hate when strings break so I don't do it. I've seen some tail pieces with grooves in them for the strings to go over the top but I have never tried one.
I've been doing this since I got my first TOM guitar. Really for no reason. Had no idea Zakk Wylde did it too. That's cool
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by Griffin Effects
I used to do this a long time ago. The strings will eventually dig into the tail piece and create sharp spots which was making my strings break all the time. Switched it back and I almost never break strings. It was fine for a little while but after about a year, they dug in pretty deep. I guess you would have to replace it every once in a while. I actually prefer the strings going over the top of it. I like how my hand sits on the higher strings but I hate when strings break so I don't do it. I've seen some tail pieces with grooves in them for the strings to go over the top but I have never tried one.

Same thing here...it looks cool but I switched back. I didn't notice any improvement in tuning stability or sustain...
Jimmy page and Joe bonnamassa do it to.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.