I just retubed my head with JJ ECC83S (12AX7 tubes) tubes from Eurotubes...

All is going well until I turn on my amp. There is A LOT of hum. I can barely get a sound out of it it's humming so bad!!

I'm just wondering what I can do to fix this. I'm currently testing the pre-amp tubes one by one with my old tubes.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated UG!
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
What kind of amp is it. ECC83S is fine for 12AX7 replacement, but you didn't replace a 12AT7 or 12AU7 with the ECC83 did you?
It's a B-52 ATX 100. It uses 6 12AX7 preamp tubes.

The hum gets worse as the volume goes up, this means it's probably the preamp section right? I'm putting in my old crappy sovteks to see if anything changes.
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Ibanez Acoustic

Okay, the old tubes DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM.

Do I have a serious issue on my hands here UG?
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Ibanez Acoustic

Did you put the old tubes back in the exact same places?

I'm not familiar with B52s but in some amps there can be specific variances that affect the tone (in this case hum).

I don't suppose you numbered your tubes before you took them out. Personally, and this is just me, I would not have bought ALL JJs from Eurotubes. I think I remember your thread on this some time back. I'm sure I would have rec'd dougstubes.com

Play musical chairs with your old preamp tubes first and get the amp back to normal so you can rule the hum out. Then post back.
I'll see what I can do. I also e-mailed B-52's support to see what is up.
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Ibanez Acoustic

Just a thought. You may have broken one of the solder joints on the tube socket when changing the tubes. Its unlikley, but it is possible when the tube socket is soldered directly to the circuit board.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Oct 15, 2009,
Could this problem have anything to do with my power amp tubes? Or is that a no because it's affecting the volume?

It's just that when I turn it off standby, I just get like this wall of hum.
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Ibanez Acoustic

Quote by {Ѵëņŏmőůş}
Could this problem have anything to do with my power amp tubes? Or is that a no because it's affecting the volume?

It's just that when I turn it off standby, I just get like this wall of hum.

It could be the power tubes, but that seems unlikley since the problem started when you changed the pre-amp tubes.

Edit: You might as well change them though since you've changed your pre-amp tubes. I usually change power tubes every 6 months, and I leave the pre-amp tubes in there for a year or so.
Are you getting the tubes seated down really good? My old crate tube amp was really finicky about the tubes...if they were the slightest bit loose, it would hum like crazy.
+1

That's why I'm suggesting trying to get the amp back to 'normal' to isolate the hum before focusing on the power tubes (which could very well be the problem). My guess is that that 6th preamp tube is a phase inverter that feeds the power tubes and now you have something different in there or not seated all the way.

Next time, it is a good idea to number your tubes and swap one at time powering on an off as you go so you can keep track of changes and don't buy from Eurotubes as they only sell JJs.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 15, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

That's why I'm suggesting trying to get the amp back to 'normal' to isolate the hum before focusing on the power tubes (which could very well be the problem). My guess is that that 6th preamp tube is a phase inverter that feeds the power tubes and now you have something different in there or not seated all the way.

Next time, it is a good idea to number your tubes and swap one at time powering on an off as you go so you can keep track of changes and don't buy from Eurotubes as they only sell JJs.

I agree with this guy. Its why I asked you if you switched any 12AT or AU7's with the ECC83. If you put a high gain tube into a phase inverter position or cathode follower you could be getting the noise from that. Are you sure one of the tubes aren't different from the others? Even if they are all 12AX7's there are different types of 12AX7. Some lower gain than others.
I ordered a balanced tube for the phase inverter, but it's not helping.

I'm just gonna keep switching them in and out and see what b-52 has to say about it.
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Ibanez Acoustic

Quote by Matt420740
I agree with this guy. Its why I asked you if you switched any 12AT or AU7's with the ECC83. If you put a high gain tube into a phase inverter position or cathode follower you could be getting the noise from that. Are you sure one of the tubes aren't different from the other? Even if they are all 12AX7's there are different types of 12AX7. Some lower gain than others.

The amp was wired up with sovtek 12AX7's in all 6 preamp positions. Same ones, but I don't know if it was a balanced tube in the phase inverter spot. The only thing on the sovtek tubes is that they are 12AX7's.
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Ibanez Acoustic

Full View
RE: ATX-100 Amp Head problems
Alex Nunez <alex@b-52pro.com>
Add to Contacts
To: #####

Hello ####,

I really don’t know what could’ve happened to your amplifier. I can issue you an RA for repair so you can send it to our factory, or Let me know where you are located and I can try and find a repair center nearest you. I would definitely not change the power tubes and I’m glad you said you didn’t because whatever the problem is, it has nothing to do with the power tubes.

Best Regards,

Alex Nunez

Customer Service & Tech Support

B-52 Professional

3383 Gage Ave

Huntington Park, CA 90255

(800)344-4384 ext:115

Alex@b-52pro.com

At least they were honest
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Ibanez Acoustic

Quote by {Ѵëņŏmőůş}
The amp was wired up with sovtek 12AX7's in all 6 preamp positions. Same ones, but I don't know if it was a balanced tube in the phase inverter spot. The only thing on the sovtek tubes is that they are 12AX7's.

when I order tubes from eurotubes, they always give very specific instructions on how to install them. They tell me where the phase inverter goes in my amp, and they label the box with the phase inverter tube. Check your invoice and stuff to make sure you didn't miss any instructions.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by psychokiller99
when I order tubes from eurotubes, they always give very specific instructions on how to install them. They tell me where the phase inverter goes in my amp, and they label the box with the phase inverter tube. Check your invoice and stuff to make sure you didn't miss any instructions.

No no no buddy, the sovteks were the STOCK tubes!

The Eurotubes did indeed come with instructions and I installed them properly.
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Ibanez Acoustic

Quote by {Ѵëņŏmőůş}

Okay. You should be good then. Try pulling the 2 outer power tubes, fire it back up and see if you still have hum. Replace the outer tubes and repeat with the inner tubes. If its in your power amp section you should find out then. Sounds like the B-52 guy also thinks its the pre-amp tubes though.

Its very possible you cracked a solder joint on the tube socket when changing the tubes. Being connected directly to a circuit board means the socket can't move around much at all, or bad things happen.
Personally I would not have gotten a balanced preamp tube as that is marketing hogwash imo.

It is entirely possible that the tube they sent you for the 6th pos PI slot was overly microphonic or just bad.

Keep messing with your old tubes so you can get your amp back to normal is what I would do and then mess with the new preamp tubes and possibly the power tubes but I would NOT recommend that at this time (especially when B52 said not to), you don't want to void your warranty unnecessarily.

Good luck,
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 15, 2009,
Okay, I put in all the new tubes...gonna check it one more time, then I'm going to start replacing the old ones back in one by one again....

Should I start with v6 or v1?
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Ibanez Acoustic

I believe I have found the culprit.... I have the JJ's in all spots except the phase inverter and V5... I am now checking to see if it's the V5 by itself or both of them.

EDIT: I put the JJ back in the phase inverter and I'm not getting that annoying hum

I'm gonna check the JJ in v5 one more time. Maybe swap em around a bit.
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Ibanez Acoustic

Last edited by {Ѵëņŏmőůş} at Oct 15, 2009,
Hmmm...It has now manifested itself again when I switch the sovtek back from the JJ (which brought the issue back) in v5. It is now also growling/ grinding almost like wind on a microphone. Help?
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Ibanez Acoustic

Quote by {Ѵëņŏmőůş}

EDIT: I put the JJ back in the phase inverter and I'm not getting that annoying hum

so you got rid of the hum by putting the JJ back in the phase inverter...so why don't you leave it there?
Quote by {Ѵëņŏmőůş}
I believe I have found the culprit.... I have the JJ's in all spots except the phase inverter and V5... I am now checking to see if it's the V5 by itself or both of them.

I'm gonna check the JJ in v5 one more time. Maybe swap em around a bit.

Faulty tube detected. Replace and enjoy life!
WTLTL 2011
Quote by eyebanez333
so you got rid of the hum by putting the JJ back in the phase inverter...so why don't you leave it there?

No, I got rid of the hum with sovteks in both the v5 and phase inverter positions....I then put the JJ in the phase inverter, and all is fine.

Then when I go to check the v5 with a JJ, the hum is back...but I replace the EXACT SAME SOVTEK TUBE, and it's back
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Ibanez Acoustic

Maybe they just needed some more contact, but I wiggled em a bit more and let them heat up for about 10 mins; magically my JJ's work!!

Tubes are going to take some getting used to it seems.

Next step: GET SOME CONTACT CLEANER
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Ibanez Acoustic

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
WOW.

Well, I'm glad you got it sorted. I hope it doesn't come back. Have fun.

Yeah, it came back sporadically, so I checked the v5. I think it is either not wanting to connect or it is soldered in funny...either way I got the tube seated just right and I've been jamming out for like the past hour. I love the way this amp sounds with these tubes!
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Ibanez Acoustic

Quote by {Ѵëņŏmőůş}
Yeah, it came back sporadically, so I checked the v5. I think it is either not wanting to connect or it is soldered in funny...either way I got the tube seated just right and I've been jamming out for like the past hour. I love the way this amp sounds with these tubes!

Spray some contact cleaner on the tube pins and move it in and out of the socket 2 or 3 times. If the problem still persists get the amp checked out, ****ty solder.
WTLTL 2011