Page 1 of 2
I have a 'friend' who is always picking up my guitars and playing them, rocking on all my pedals and stuff, but the second I even touched his bass he flips out. I've also noticed this in people with band instruments, where they would in the same breath be playing my French horn I left sitting out and complaining about someone moving their clarinet two inches.

Anyone had experience with this?
God knows, I guess it's just different people being...well, different.

I run a jam night so my gear gets used by all sorts of people, and I've grown used to it - although anyone who doesn't respect other peoples' equipment gets barred immediately. I've always been very relaxed about my gear anyway, though.
My most expensive gear is insured, so if something did get damaged I'd get a new guitar anyways
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Well, i think it is fine. I respect it, really. Personally, i don't care if people use my stuff at all, but if other people don't want me and/or others to touch their stuff, it HAS to be respected.. In my opinion.. Unless it's a screamo band with badly dyed hair. That's a universal invitation for gear-wrecking.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
I was jamming with this guy who was telling me how to play all rehersal, i didnt even know who he was he was just brought by another bandmember, and during break he started playing my drums and showing the guys 'how its done', so i picked up his guitar and put it into open Dsus4 tuning which got him back.

Im normally cool with it, except with students because after years of letting them borrow my stuff my walls are dented as our my headstocks.
Quote by Northernmight
Well, i think it is fine. I respect it, really. Personally, i don't care if people use my stuff at all, but if other people don't want me and/or others to touch their stuff, it HAS to be respected.. In my opinion.. Unless it's a screamo band with badly dyed hair. That's a universal invitation for gear-wrecking.

It's the thought behind it though. I don't care if people touch my stuff. But you should expect your stuff to be touched too. It's not like I just found my stuff on the side of the road.
I don't usually mind if people play my drums..... so long as they don't dent my heads or mess with my tom tom positioning. However in my last band i made an exception as they were the types that became positively apoplectic if i so much as looked at their guitars, yet they had no qualms with hopping behind my drums when i wasn't in the room and knocking my setup all out of whack.
Actually there's one thing I don't like, and that's during live performances and drunks. As much as drunks/randoms want to get up and play with my gear I never let them up, and never let them touch. Ever.

Earlier this year I was put in an uncomfortable situation. We were moving our gear on to the stage, it took me a couple of short trips and my guitar was already on stage on it's stand. A big drunk Mauri (native New Zealander) asked our bassist/singer/band former if he could play with us. Stupidly (seriously, this guy is clueless, despite being in his mid 30s) he said "sure, you can use this guitar" and pointed to my guitar. The big drunk Mauri proceeds to grab my guitar and put it on. I see him do this out of the corner of my eye and approach them.

Bassist steps back like he's not part of it. I make bad eyes and him and he avoids my glare. I ask the Mauri politely if I can have my guitar back. He's wasted - eyes rolling back in his head. He has my guitar strapped around his neck (ie. unstable - no strap locks). I slowly go to grab it and raise the guitar off his neck, over his head. He makes a quick movement and his sunglasses fly off on to the floor. I get the guitar off.

He glares at me, I think I'm about to get punched, and think of the ways I can soften the blow to the guitar. Then in a moment of sobriety, his eyes clear up and he says "sorry bro". I' tell him "that's ok, enjoy the show!".

Now that was some nerve racking stuff. I told the bassist never to give gear to a drunk random, and that he should know better. He just said it was a "joke that got out of hand".

Yet another reason why this band is going to break up.

So yeah, I don't let drunks near my gear.
Soundcloud
yeah, that guy is weird. talk to him. tell him he's being ridiculous.

personally speaking, i'm not that protective of my gear. i mean, it is just gear. i think people seriously overestimate the fragility of guitars, pedals and amps. my stuff has been dropped, thrown about, had stuff spilt on it. **** happens. it very rarely breaks things.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
I have no qualms abut giving my gear to people i trust, except there is this one guy i know, who i dont really trust with my gear, that i kind have to let him borrow my stuff every so oftne, as i literally used his amp for like 5 months.

Thing is, i took better care of the amp than he did. For example, they practice in a garage, with no insulation or whatever. So at night it gets really cold, condensation and all that. He leaves the amp there, all the time. I went over to collece it one day, and it turned out that he had left it on since they were jamming last - 3 days previously.

Then, if i loan him my bass, without fail, when i get it back, the input jack is loose and i need to tighten it up. One day, i even got it back and he had somehow manage to knock the saddles out of line, so the g string saddle wasn't sitting properly.

How the hell do you do that?
I'm easy, as long as (understandably) the gear is treated with respect.

If someone f*cks something of mine up, but treats it with respect, I don't care per se, because a.) it's accidental and b.) it's insured anyway.

If someone broke my stuff deliberately or accidentally by f*cking about, then I would obviously kick the sh*t out of them.

I don't know if I'd feel differently about generosity if I used high-end gear, but I generally wouldn't use that range of equipment, plus I'm not that fussy about keeping things in absolutely perfect condition. And I find it hard to place that much sentimental value on the typical material item, like a guitar.
I had a roommate that was kinda like that. He was pretty anal about his own guitar, would often use my bass without asking, which I didn't really care too much about. One night, though, he was drunk (read: it was a Tuesday) he took our other roommate's acoustic, paraded around the halls playing it pretty wildly, and by the time he was done with it the pick guard was scratched and scuffed to hell. His response, "Oh wow, this must be a really cheap pick guard"

We don't talk to him anymore
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
I hate when other people touch my gear, yet I proceed to let them because I don't want to be "rude". It really annoys me when randoms come up and just start playing my $800 amp.

I had another guitarist ask to play my amp and I was like "sure just make sure you let it warm up for a minute" and he said ok. Next thing you know he has my amp cranked. He just turned it right on. And later he asked to play it again. I said the same thing with more emphasis on "let it warm up". He did the same thing.

So I hate when people treat music gear like toys and don't realize it's expensive stuff. They wouldn't like it if I jumped on their motorcycles without asking and started doing burnouts but that's basically what they're doing with my gear
I hate my sig
I just think that the second you start touching other people's gear, you forfeit your right to limit anyone touching yours, within reason of course. I'm not saying that anyone off the street could just walk up and play, but you should at least reciprocate the favor.
I'm usually fine with people touching my gear, as long as they ask me. I get pretty annoyed if I go get a drink at band practice, and when I come back someone is sitting there playing my guitar and changing my amp settings.

As for touching other people's stuff, I barely ever do it, and I never do it unless I ask them first.
I let people play my guitars as long as
1) It's not right before a show
2) They don't mess with my settings (I'm really picky about my tone)
3) They don't mess with the tuning
and
4) They have some kind of experiance playing some kind of instrument

Thats just me. I'm usually kinda strict about my stuff but i've learned to be a bit more laid back. And I always ask when I use other peoples stuff.
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
I think its fine as long as they don't change anything. I don't want you to adjust the guitar strap. I play drums and I hate it when other band members sit down and tilt my toms so they are almost vertical. I would never do that to someone else's stuff. I am just borrowing it for a bit, I shouldn't be making it mine. I think its different with drums also, when someone who has no idea how to play sits down and starts wailing on my $400 hi hats I get a bit peeved.
I rarely ever let people play my guitar, just my band mates, and it took a few months to trust them with it. Mainly because it's very expensive, and not really even mine. A friend "lent" it to me for an undetermined amount of time (about a year by now, but I still treat it like it's borrowed). Because I'm so overprotective of my gear though, I make sure to treat others the same way. If I want to play someone's instrument I ask, if I want to drop tune, lower the strap, change amp settings, I ask.

What pisses me off most are random people who play instruments. At a recent gig my band set up our instruments on stage and waited on the side of the house we were playing at waiting for the DJs time to run out. While we wait, 2 people walk on stage, 1 picks up our rhythm bass player's bass and starts jamming (and he had just asked if he could jam on our lead bass player's bass before the show, we said no. Also yes, 2 bass players, no questions, or PM them :P ), the other sits at our drummer's kit. We rush on, the guy on drums knows he's done wrong and leaves quickly. The drunk on bass #2 kept jamming for a while until we kicked him off. I'm pretty sure he left the party after that. I just don't get how you can have an entire band around you freaking out grabbing an instrument, and keep playing with a smile.
Last edited by morrock at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by scguitarking927
I had a friend want to play my Ltd EC1000 after eating cheetoes.....I yelled "WTF ARE YOU DOING" haha, wash your ****ing hands!!!!

But you have to admit, it does make it easier to play
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
But you have to admit, it does make it easier to play

agreed....slick neck indeed.

I dont care, that is, if you know what your doing. Dont let your college drop out buddy drive the Lambo, if you get my drift.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
I don't mind if people play my gear, I mean my guitars combined aren't worth 300, and I beat the shit out of my acoustic. but if someone plays my shit and freaks out i f I play thiers it sends the mesage that their stuff is more important than mine.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I'm careful about my gear. I am not in a financial situation to replace my Telecaster or Explorer, both of which I've had for many years and have enormous sentimental value. Nor can I afford a new amp if somebody busts it. I can scarcely afford to replace the tubes if they blow. So unless I trust a person, then no, they are not using my stuff.
I dont have a big problem with people using my gear. I lended my amp to other bands at gigs before, and i dont really mind people playing my guitar. That is if i know them at least a little bit. However, once i drunken guy in the crowd asked me if he could play my guitar when our set was finished. Whats that all bout?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I call it "protecting my investment". Would you let someone you dont know drive your car without your permission? Well I've spent about as much on gear as a car, so I dont wan't a bunch of noobs touching my gear. Fact is, the guitar is personal, just as personal as underwear or a toothbrush. If its not yours, dont touch it. Furthermore, if they dont offer you to touch it, then dont ask.

There are only a handful of people I would let touch my gear, but the rest of you stay away...because you are wierd.
/end ATFH quote
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred
Quote by AlanHB
My most expensive gear is insured, so if something did get damaged I'd get a new guitar anyways

this, except one of myamps took over 10 months to make its way to me... that would be a misserable 10 months to repeat.

and to confess, i am one of those people who doesn't let others play my shit (with a few exceptions for people i deem "qualified" - one such person was a guitar tech for flyleaf, not to mention the best guitarist i've ever heard)... but i also leave others' gear alone.

Off topic EDIT: i for sure wouldn't touch this guy's rig:

http://collegestation.craigslist.org/msg/1429540845.html

anyone remember him from my gg&a thread earlier this month? guy wanted $1100 in his first post. since then he's slammed the **** out of my local CL with various incarnations of the same offer. i want so badly for him to get a clue.
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 20, 2009,
I'm fine with people being overprotective of their gear so long as they don't go around playing everyone else's instrument. Those kind of people piss me off. If you don't want people touching your gear then don't touch theirs.
I only let people I trust touch my gear, but I won't touch other peoples unless they offer - and even then I'll politely decline if I wouldn't trust them with my own.

Its not about whether they can play either - its about whether they respect my stuff. I will happily let my neighbours 6 year old play my guitars, because he's really careful - I'd go ballistic if my older sister went near them tho lol
If you have some clue what you're doing, I'll let you play my guitar. If you're someone that has no clue what their doing and just want to mess with it, then no. I don't care if you let me use your stuff, but if you do thats cool. Don't break it, damage it, scratch it, or any of that. I'll be pissed.

My band is pretty open about letting the others play their stuff. No one really cares too much.
Quote by Anteaterking
I have a 'friend' who is always picking up my guitars and playing them, rocking on all my pedals and stuff, but the second I even touched his bass he flips out.

This is a case of hypocrisy, not JUST people being overprotective of their gear. I have no problem with people who are over protective of their gear, it's their gear we should have a certain amount of respect.
Last edited by take_it_t at Oct 21, 2009,
Quote by Anteaterking
I have a 'friend' who is always picking up my guitars and playing them, rocking on all my pedals and stuff, but the second I even touched his bass he flips out. I've also noticed this in people with band instruments, where they would in the same breath be playing my French horn I left sitting out and complaining about someone moving their clarinet two inches.

Anyone had experience with this?

That seems pretty darn hypocritical of them! If they're willing to exert the same respect they wish to receive, then it's understandable. However, if they're showing double standards of that nature, that's just being impolite!

The worst experience I had was a guy who had just eaten greasy KFC or chips or something pick up my classical guitar without asking and play it. After I pointedly asked him if he'd wiped his hands, he gave me a condescending look and said that the oil was good for the strings. What the heck?!
Honestly, I hate it when people who don't know what they are doing or people who I don't know mess with my gear. Like, if one of my friend's who doesn't even play guitar picks it up and starts messing around I cringe a little on the inside, but I won't say anything.
And as for people who don't know what they are doing. Well, my cousin used to exclusively play bass. And he would always pick up my guitar. I got to the point where I told him that he needed to wash his hands everytime that he played my guitar. Because everytime after he played there was this weird rough feeling on my strings or whatever. I always wash my hands before I play guitar. But thankfully he has his own now so I don't really have to worry about that anymore.
Also, he picked way to hard. Like, I was afraid of my strings popping because the way he picked. It was sloppy, rough and aggresive and it's like he was stabbing my guitar or something.

That's my thing though, if it's somebody who doesn't know how to play or somebody who I don't know then I have a problem.
But if Hendrix came back to life and wanted to play on my crappy guitar then I wouldn't even think twice about it xD
If the person knows what they're doing (plays guitar/bass, not drunk, high, etc.) then it's okay, as long as they ask. Recently my aunt went into my room looking for something, and in the process moved a lot of stuff around, and at some point threw my guitar on my bed. A dent was in the wall near the headstock (guessing that's where it hit) and there wasn't a single string in tune when I found it.

It wouldn't be so bad if it had a bolt-on neck that could be replaced. The guitar's pretty damned sturdy, but the possibility of the neck getting messed up really, really bothers me.
My heart beats in 4/4, not the other way around.

Do your part. Join TVTropes.
Simple, really. Their gear, their rules. Your gear, your rules.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Alden Ashford
If the person knows what they're doing (plays guitar/bass, not drunk, high, etc.) then it's okay, as long as they ask. Recently my aunt went into my room looking for something, and in the process moved a lot of stuff around, and at some point threw my guitar on my bed. A dent was in the wall near the headstock (guessing that's where it hit) and there wasn't a single string in tune when I found it.

It wouldn't be so bad if it had a bolt-on neck that could be replaced. The guitar's pretty damned sturdy, but the possibility of the neck getting messed up really, really bothers me.

I can't stand it whenever my mom moves my guitar. When she took me to buy some effect pedals for my birthday she freaked out because of the prices. But I kept telling her to stop worrying about the prices since she knows absolutely nothing about guitar related stuff. When she tries to organize my room, seriously, out of everything in there, thats the one thing that I do not want her hands on xp
I loan out my bass rig every once in a while to a local band.

I don't mind folks playing my stuff. The only exception being my Rickenbacker. I ask folks to ask first and not to mess with it too much...
I dont mind people messing with my cheap stuff, i arnt protective at all about that. But there are some a$$holes that i sometimes jam with that think their guitar is better then mine, so they feel the need to act like mine is a peice of junk and throw it around a bit. One of my guitar's has a crack down the neck after a guy at my school claimed he could play guitar so he started throwing mine around, the strap came off and he dropped it. Didnt even apologise. So thats what gets me a bit protective over my more expensive stuff
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

Page 1 of 2