I'm looking for a distortion pedal to get a weezer/nirvana sound, as well as tighten up the lead channel on my HT-5, because it gets kinda loose sometimes when I play Tool songs. I'd like to keep it below $100, and used isn't a problem.

I've looked at the Boss DS-1 and the TS-9, but I'm wonderng if there is anything else I should look at.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
You'll need two different pedals for distortion and tightening up your dirt channel btw

Edit: Cobain used a modded DS-1 not a stock one (I think)
Look at the Barber Dirty Bomb, it's a pretty good pedal for the price
Last edited by Sguit at Oct 15, 2009,
The Proco Rat is pretty versatile, I can get quite a nice Nirvana tone out of it and I imagine it could do Weezer.
wouldnt a compressor help?
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
^ yes and no. compressor will tighten your sound up some, but it isnt providing the distortion he seems to want.

for that, i would say pick up the ds-2 that can do the nirvana sound, then grab a bad monkey for smoothing out leads. not sure why the amp isnt doing weezer on its own, but at least one of those pedals will help you get there (depending on how you use them). for $100 thats what i would consider as one of the best ways to fit both your criteria.
ProCo Rat (and Turbo Rat, which I have) are really, REALLY good. I can't guarantee a 100% Nirvana/Weezer sound, but you'll definitely get a rich distortion sound akin to those bands with a Rat.
for rent
You could get an overdrive and a distortion pedal. You can use the overdrive as a boost and distortion for tone. I'd just get a bad monkey and a Ds1/Ds2. I also recommend an Eq pedal aswell like the Danelectro fish&Chips.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
The DS-1 is as classy as they all say. The DS-2 is a bit more versatile, I've played both, but I liked the simplicity of the DS-1 better.
Tone = 11 o'clock, dist=max and that's supposedly Cobain's 'Nevermind' tone...
The DS-2 has a funny lead mode thingy on it too, and both Gavin Rossdale and Nigel Pulsford of Bush used one to get their distinct tone...
I've heard only good stuff about the ProCo Rat, and additionally Mudhoney used EH Big Muffs...
Your dreams are all out of focus;
Knock you up when you're feeling down.
And all the world feels so unreal...

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.